“A night out”

Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 19 August 2013 via mobile

We were a group of 6, 4 adults and 2 kids. Kids had pizza but the drinks they ordered came late . We ordered antipasti, mine was a bread with very salty mortadella and cream cheese. The second course was a mix of three pasta dishes. To say the least the fish tasted of meat and the pasta was undercooked. The service was ok apart from a sarcastic waiter. The bill was 140€ which I thought was quite expensive seeing as the kids only had pasta. I will not be going again.

1  Thank Julia W

Reviewed 7 October 2011

Stopped her with my daughter who lives on this mountain. Delicious food and plenty of it, even just ordering appetizers. I posted pictures on my Facebook page... fabulous fried Calamari!

1  Thank Andreanna4
Reviewed 10 August 2011

We ordered only the pizza and were not disappointed...fresh veges on top. Delicious crusty, rich cheese. It was so close to our B&B, I wish we had found it sooner in our trip!

1  Thank Christineabella
Reviewed 5 July 2010

We spent the weekend in the b&b in the end of may. Maria Rosa was very friendly, when we arrived she made sure to make us a great lunch. During the entire stay the food was delicious and the accommodations were great. The rooms were just as pictured on the website. We also to got to meet some of Maria Rosa friends who were enchanting. I would recommend staying at the bed and breakfast, the train staying takes you to Florence and you can enjoy waking up to the beautiful view of Sesto Fiorentiono

Reviewed 4 February 2010

I do like being the first to review a restaurant for trip advisor. Maybe other people were too scared after meeting owner Maria Rosa! She certainly takes no prisoners and likes to show she's the boss!

I've been here 3 times, all with my friend, who kind of uses this place for business lunches. Maybe if you come on your own you will be treated a little less patronizingly. On one occasion, after we had ordered our wine, she brought us something else to try and then charged it to our bill! We also came here once on New Year’s eve and she completely ignored our orders! Although what she did bring was fantastic!

Maria Rosa apart, the food here has been absolutely superb on all 3 occasions. From the succulent antipasti, like smoked duck carpaccio, to the tantalizing starters, onion and foie gras ravioli, taglierini with truffles and goats cheese fagottini, through to the perfectly cooked fillet of ‘Cinta Senese’ pork and scrumptious homemade desserts. They have a wine cellar to die for, but not priced up and Maria Rosa will recommend the ‘I Balzini’ white label Supertuscan from Barberino val d’elsa which is superb.

Ulivo Rosso is situated half way up Monte Morello, in Sesto Fiorentino, which is a 15minute drive from Florence.

The restaurant is olde world Tuscan, with some interesting antique pieces and you are surrounded by all the wine. The tables are elegantly set up and there is a huge outside terrace for outside dining in the warmer months, with views over the hills.

It’s not cheap, but for the quality of the food I would definitely recommend Ulivo Rosso, just be prepared to have some fun with Maria Rosa!