“Beautiful Weekend Getaway”

Millcroft Inn & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Alton
Reviewed 27 July 2014

My husband and I recently stayed at Millcroft Inn & Spa from a Friday-Saturday for a "last getaway" before we have our first baby in a month and a half. We were looking for a peaceful getaway within decent driving distance of where we live, and we really enjoyed our Millcroft experience.

I will begin by saying that I had read many Tripadvisor reviews before going, and can add my agreement to all of the comments on details that most others agreed are wonderful at Millcroft. The grounds and the mill are gorgeous and spacious. The staff in both inn and spa are friendly & accommodating (we were in the Manor House, which is a bit of a walk from the guest parking lot - and even though the inn was fully booked and obviously busy with a wedding reception when we checked in, a staff member volunteered to shuttle my husband from the parking lot to our room after he dropped off a very-pregnant me). The spa facilities are gorgeous, and the services are amazing (LOVE the granola in the lounge and the excellent assortment of loose-leaf teas). I can add, too, that we were given a room on the ground floor of the Manor House, and we were very impressed with how spacious it was, as well as how beautifully and lavishly it was decorated.

Only a few details made this a 4 instead of a 5-star experience for us - none of these details would likely keep us from visiting again (although we might request a room in a different building). First, we opted not to splurge on the buffet breakfast, given both (a) the cost, and (b) the fact that various Tripadvisor reviewers had been underwhelmed by it, especially for the price. I do feel that, for the cost you're paying for the room, some kind of breakfast should be included in the room rate - even if it's just continental. They did have a Keurig with coffee in each room, which was a very nice touch. Alas, our Keurig did not work! The T.V. was a beautiful, wall-mounted flat screen, set up in a very nice sitting area, but the reception was very fuzzy (now, one doesn't come to an oasis of calm to watch T.V., necessarily - it just seemed strange that the room had the nicest one I've seen in any hotel, and it didn't work very well). Finally, and the biggest disappointment for me so late in my pregnancy, was that the bed was so firm as to be very uncomfortable. We both tossed & turned all night. Walking into such a beautifully appointed room, and seeing the bed dressed in such nice linens, it was such a disappointment that I've had better nights of sleep at some budget hotels, than at this luxury hotel! Especially when our goal in getting away was to have a restful night together. I will also add that it would be a vast improvement - and likely fit the scale of these lovely Manor House rooms and the promise of a luxurious experience - if the beds were king-sized instead of queen-sized.

These are details that I wouldn't normally get very picky about, were it not for the price point and the experience that Millcroft promises. Nonetheless, we will very likely return in the future!

Room Tip: Manor House Rooms are spacious and beautifully decorated - but beware of the very firm beds, if you...
2  Thank CBop

Reviewed 27 July 2014

Firstly, in the area, this is likely the most romantic and non-cookie cutter hotel to stay at.

The staff are truly exceptional when it comes to customer service. Very attentive and friendly.

The hotel is older but not dated as some have stated in reviews. Everything is in keeping with the style of the hotel. Nothing is broken or dysfunctional or "dated" in style. The decor suits the style of the place.

The restaurant is excessively priced. Breakfast for two is $38 + tip. Out of necessity we ate breakfast there, but no other meals. We had incredible Jamaican food at Soullyve in Orangeville, as well as the best mussels in broth, steak, calamari and seafood soup at Forage in Orangeville. I highly recommend both of these restaurants. They would rival any in Toronto for foodies. Most of our lunches were prepared salads from Metro to keep our overall trip cost in budget.

The lack of a fridge in our room made things difficult, No cream for coffee in morning. Warm water and beer. Being forced to buy expensive breakfasts when a cup of yogurt would have suited us fine in our room.

The grounds are beautiful, well maintained and relaxing.

The fitness room is modern and well equipped but lacks AC or a fan.

Did not use outdoor pool but looks lovely.

Spa massage is priced at $80 for 25 minutes. I get a full hour by an RMT for $75 at home, so I passed on this overpriced service.

Indoor pool is small but enjoyable.

Hot tub is not hot, just warm, and lacking jets. Has 2 only for circulating water.

Steam room is very small but enjoyable when temp was right ( one day it was burning skin within minutes).

Despite these shortcomings, we had an excellent stay. We are a married couple or co-owners of a business and we were in town for business. The amenities gave us relaxing evenings after work. I do recommend Millcroft for a romantic getaway in the area, but if we return for work, I would stay at a chain hotel with a lower price point and reasonable breakfast cost. Worth the experience once, but would not return.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank traveltrella
Reviewed 26 July 2014

My wife and I visit the Millcroft Inn and Spa regularly for their buffet breakfast on the weekends. The service is simply exceptional - no words high enough to praise the unusual attention to detail and anticipation of needs. And then, the food - many juices, exotic teas, fresh fruits, dreamy granola, home baked muffins and cinnamon buns, cheeses, meats, smoked salmon and mackerel, old fashioned scrambled eggs, crispy bacon and sausages done with just enough exterior crunch to be perfect! And you can order any kind of eggs you like - all included in the very reasonable fixed-price. Pick up a free weekend newspaper as you leave and download your e-mail on the free Wi-Fi. I could go one - but you get the picture of my rhapsody!

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Esthetician Chris Martin is the very best - blissfully sent me to La-La Land with her calm voice, expert hands. My facial was superb, great advice on maintenance and the afterglow is still felt.
Hubby had the Aqua Scrub and Hot stone massage with Lori. From high-stress to putty in my hands.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Simple. Comfortale. Beautiful. Close to urban life and yet a true rural Ontario countryside get away.
Sound of mill dam and pond so soothing for the soul. Comfortableoutside patio furniture.
Waking trails on 100 acre property. On site spa with variety of treatments.
After two days I feel rested and rejuvenated. Will return before long.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank babilu
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We just spent the weekend at the Millcroft for our second wedding anniversary. We really and truly wanted to love this place and had heard so many wonderful things about it. But for over $300 a night, we were underwhelmed. The room we had was dated and worn. There was no fridge, which seemed very strange and while a bottle of wine did arrive very unceremoniously at some point (no note, etc.) - if we had wanted other drinks, I am not sure what we would have done. The grounds were nice but not particularly well kept. I will say that the food at Headwaters was absolutely amazing and the service throughout the weekend was generally very very good. We enjoyed our stay but were not wowed in any way and are in no rush to go back.

2  Thank Sandy M
Reviewed 21 July 2014

the location and setting are beautiful! The staff were friendly and accomodating.Unfortunately it ended there. We stayed for 2 nights to attend a wedding. The room was tired and dated and it not made up after the first night. There was no toilet paper, the bathroom exhaust fan was very loud. The room service meal was not what we had ordered and was uneatable. The breakfast buffet was something I would have expected from a ubiquitous hotel chain. This was not the boutique hotel experience that we had been expecting ...

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Stymied_13
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alton
Hockley Valley Resort
Best Western Plus Orangeville Inn & Suites
Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Bolton
Forks of the Credit Inn
Forks of the Credit Inn
#1 of 6 in Caledon
Molly's Retreat B and B
Devonshire Guest House & Spa

Been to Millcroft Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!