We chose this hotel based on several other ratings across multiple websites, as well as the location, amenities, and the four-star rating. Unfortunately, the first night we stayed there, my husband and I woke up at 3:30 in the morning all itchy. We turned the lights on only to realize the entire bed was covered in bed bugs. We informed the receptionist and at first he said they were mosquitos, but we caught a few in a cup and brought them downstairs as proof…he quickly gave us a new room and promised things would be resolved in the morning. By the time we switched rooms, showered, and checked the new bed for bugs, it was already 6am so we didn’t get much sleep that first night. In the morning, based on the fact that in total we both had over 100 bites, it was clear that this bug problem was advanced (plus the bugs were all sizes, indicating there were multiple generations of bugs living in the bed). This brings me to the next disappointing fact about this hotel. There was clearly a lack of communication, as well as extreme passivity and avoidance of the problem. None of the hotel staff were willing to make any effort to fix the problem. They continued to say that they were ‘looking into it’ or that ‘they never had a problem like this’, but weren’t willing to offer any help or definite response to the problem. We were the ones constantly taking initiative—we were the ones going out of our way to ensure that this problem was resolved. When we asked to speak to the manager, their response every time was ‘she’s coming, we will tell you when she arrives’, yet we never heard from them nor were able to speak with her. Not only were we tired and in extreme discomfort due to these bites, but the hotel staff were unapologetic and made us fight to get any response from them. They claimed that they couldn’t offer us a refund due to ‘legal issues’, yet in the end, after several conversations, they finally agreed to refund us for one night. This seems to suggest that their initial response about their hands being tied due to legal issues was false—only to reiterate that the staff would do anything to avoid responsibility as well as attempt to intimidate the customer in hopes that they give up or go away. Honestly I hate the idea of writing bad reviews (in fact, I’ve never felt strongly enough to ever write a negative review) and this hotel is great in terms of location, but based on the bed bug infestation, as well as the way that the staff treat the guests, this hotel should barely be a 1-star rating rather than the 4. If you do choose to stay here, please please please check the bed frame and mattress before settling in. And don’t expect a hospitable response should things go awry.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Grand Albergo Hotel! Overlooking the sea promenade of Sestri Levante, The Grande Albergo is now a landmark in tourism and the Gulf of Tigullio. Completely renovated in 2003, this late '19th Century historic building, has 70 rooms including 4 junior suites, all equipped with modern amenities such as internet Wi-Fi. A great base to discover the most striking places of Liguria, such as the beautiful Cinque Terre and the timeless Portofino, The Grande Albergo offers the resources to spend a relaxing holiday, whether enjoying cocktails from the panoramic swimming pool, located on the roof of the building, or simply from the balcony of one's room. The different types of rooms, from sea view to overlooking the peaceful garden, will satisfy all types of requests and our staff will be only too happy to liase and organize all the extra activities available, such as cultural visits, excursions and sports. Don't hesitate to book your holiday now! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Grande Albergo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grande Albergo Sestri Levante Hotel Sestri Levante
- Grande Albergo Hotel Sestri Levante
- Sestri Levante Grande Albergo