“Wonderful hotel, stunning views, perfect beachfront vacation”
Review of Hotel Helvetia

and 1 more site!
Hotel Helvetia
Ranked #4 of 22 Hotels in Sestri Levante
Ottawa, Canada
“Wonderful hotel, stunning views, perfect beachfront vacation”
Reviewed 21 August 2013

I stayed here in July 2013 with my wife and kids (age 6 and 8). We had a great time in Sestri Levante and at the Hotel Helvetia. The hotel is situated in the corner of the Bay of Silence. We had an amazing view of the entire bay from our hotel room. The view from the upper pool levels is even more impressive.

The staff were friendly and helpful. Our room was a large 2 bathroom, almost 1-bedroom - there was a heavy curtain that was used to separate the bedroom area from the living room that contained the fold-out bed for the kids. There was separate A/C controls for both "rooms".

There is a small elevator that was useful for getting the luggage to/from our room.

The continental breakfast had a wide variety of foods to choose from. Our only complaint was that breakfast wasn't open until 8:00am, which we found to be a little late, as our kids are early-risers. I took advantage of the later breakfast to get in some early morning runs along the Baia delle Favole (Bay of the Fables).

There is a wonderful two-level pool with a waterfall and several loungers on the upper level. We didn't spend a lot of time at the pool so I can't really comment on lounger availability or if people would "reserve" them all day.

The sandy beach is virtually outside the door of the hotel. The beach area closest to the hotel is slightly rocky when walking in the water. I would suggest walking down the beach a little (at least past the pier) to avoid the rocks.

Hotel guests on the first day are allowed to use loungers and an umbrella compliments of the hotel. Otherwise, you have to pay the lifeguards for their use. Other vendors down the beach also rent chairs and umbrellas for a cheaper price. We chose a vendor slightly down the beach outside a beach restaurant and camped there for the day - we really appreciated the easy access to the restaurant and had a wonderful lunch on the beach.

When it was time to leave the hotel for the train station, the gentleman at the front desk offered to drive us in the hotel vehicle. It would have been a 15 minute or so walk, but with luggage and kids, the free ride was much appreciated. A tip was offered for the generosity but was politely declined.

Note: There was loud music (pounding dance music!) and party noise from somewhere near our beachfront-facing hotel room. I believe, but can't so with certainty, that it came from the beachfront cafe in front of the hotel. With our room overlooking the bay in the front of the hotel, the noise was bothersome.

Our short stay at the hotel was definitely not cheap and was probably double the price we paid at any other hotel, villa, or apartment we rented during our travels in France and Italy. That said, we all enjoyed our stay immensely. If cost was not a factor, I would certainly return here.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank dms666

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Bingley
Reviewed 16 August 2013

My family and I stayed at the Hotel Helvetia for the second time in July. It is a perfect base with fantastic views and genuinely friendly and happy staff. We stayed in the same room as our last visit as we had requested which was perfect for my husband and our 2 children, with 2 bathrooms and plenty of room. It had a small balcony looking over the Bay of Silence. Perfect time to go as the last Sunday in July the local community have a festival in the bay where people decorate their boats and put on a fabulous display, we had a perfect view point from the hotel without the hassle of the crowds. Its a fantastic hotel and I could stay there forever!!!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank nickylamb40
Toledo, Ohio
Reviewed 15 August 2013 via mobile

Never having been abroad, I was nervous making reservations at hotels. Trip advisor helped immensely and made me feel more at ease about my choices. But, there is still always some trepidation over how things will turn out. Well, the hotel was fabulous. It was beautifully maintained and cared for as only a family run hotel could be. Chain hotels have nothing on this little gem. And I believe I am now utterly spoiled by the personable attention you get from a small run hotel like this. The level of services however match any big name hotel but, then go the extra mile when it comes to truly knowing their guests. You leave the hotel feeling as if you are leaving friends.
Our room held myself and two teenagers. My daughter and I slept comfortably in the large bed (it felt like a queen) and a rollaway bed was tucked next to the wall unit. It was a little tight but, the hotel had told me it would be. Even so we opted for that because of costs for the trip!
Lastly, I have to mention....free bikes, wonderful terrace breakfast, and the tv! My daughter has mild autism and she needed down time. Being abroad was quite demanding on her. But, having the ability to watch a favorite show (in English) was truly a god-send. And, frankly, some evenings I didnt mind that I could curl up in bed and watch something besides world news BBC! The remote allowed you to change shows (think Law and Order) back to the English version.
Now that's living!!
Well done, Hotel Helvetia. You deserve 1st place!

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2013

We were so delighted with our first visit two years ago and made up our minds to return in the not too distant future. When telling friends, they asked if they could join us next time. That was this July and they loved it as much as we did. It's difficult to recommend places we like to friends as everyone has different tastes, but here there was no problem. As we experienced before, everything stands up to my last review. The Hotel itself, it's position, the rooms, and especially the staff who are all so friendly and can not do enough for you to make your visit perfect. It would be good to have a few more sun loungers on the sun deck above the pool, as the hotel was busy and therefore difficult to find any free, unless you are one of those persons who get up early to reserve one by putting your towel over it. That's not my way! There is however plenty of room and sun beds on the roof solarium.
Can not fault the Hotel and resort for relaxing days.

Room Tip: If you book early you should reserve one of the front rooms overlooking the Bay de Silencio. a wonde...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 27 July 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the Helvetia in July this year as part of our Anniversary trip to Europe. Stayed here last year and loved it so we decided to come again. We went on a cruise out of Venice around the Greek Islands and Turkey which was very hectic so we needed a bit of relaxation so we decided to stay in Sestri Levante and the Helvetia. Like last year's stay we thoroughly enjoyed the town and the hotel. Our experience with the owners and staff were very positive and they were always helpful. Had a garden view room on the 4th floor which also had bay views over the pool from a good size balcony. Enjoyed a few quiet drinks from the balcony each night before going out on the town. Room was a good size and with a nice bathroom. Breakfast is always nice with beautiful home made cakes each morning (great banana cake). The location is to die for overlooking the Bay of Silence. We went on a afternoon cruise on the Silent Bay yacht which is moored at the bay jetty and had a nice afternoon sailing and swimming in the crystal waters. We used the hotel bikes one day and rode around the town for a good look, even went up the hills! Could not fault the hotel, it's location or the people.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dean G
Reviewed 25 July 2013 via mobile

My wife and I have just spent three nights at Hotel Helvetia. The Bay of Silence, over which the hotel sits, is a beautiful dreamlike place. The hotel is very well presented and the staff are charming, helpful and very hospitable. We had a large room overlooking the bay which provided the most perfect outlook at any time of the day or night. Our room had two ensuites which was a real treat as I had one and my wife the other. Both were well appointed and new. The room was large with lovely furniture and a comfy bed. There was plenty of storage space so we unpacked everything when we arrived and enjoyed not having to rummage through our luggage for things during our stay.

The breakfast is served on the terrace overlooking the bay. It's well stocked with a wide range of continental things to eat. Nicole was one of the breakfast staff and she was very friendly and efficient. Also in the afternoon we sat on the terrace and were entertained by Leonardo who served us lovely refreshing drinks with olives, foccacia and crisps.

The pool is not large but it's perfect for a dip to cool off. One can sit in the pool and gaze at the bay over the infiniti edge. There's a higher terrace which has loungers for sun-bathing and the hotel rooftop has more. In fact the roof is easy to access from the lift so we tended to lie up there and come down the spiral staircase to the pool. The hotel has a number of bicycles available for guest use at no charge so we enjoyed exploring the local vicinity on the bikes. We used them one evening to ride around the bay for dinner.

There's a bar on the beach outside the hotel that serves drinks and snacks during the day and at night is the place to be in Sestri Levante with all the beautiful people, lovely bar staff and great ambient house music. We loved sitting there after diiner to enjoy the whole atmosphere of the place and then walk 10 meters to the hotel.

The hotel owners are a lovely couple and were very friendly and willing to make our stay as pleasurable as possible. I would recommend this hotel without hesitation and we will do our best to return sometime.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Clivebenno
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Everything about this hotel is magnificent!

My husband and I where in room 118, top floor, lovely and clean, we had a bathroom each and yes, sheets are fresh daily. The view is staggeringly gorgeous as are all the hotel amenities.

The pool is gorgeous and the rooftop solarium is a great place to chill.

There is a glamorous feel at the hotel - top interiors and the outdoor areas are all yellow and white stripes like another hotel we stayed in whilst visiting Capri.

We are definitely planning to return to this hotel as the husband and wife owners made us feel at ease and very welcome.
There is also a wonderful bar tender called Leonardo who makes the best Aperol Spritzers I've ever had.

I can't imagine what would possess a person to behave badly in this place - leaving the staff quite shaken I might add.
Don't read these bad reviews - this place couldn't be any better than it already is.

• Stayed July 2013