“My Favorite Mistake”

Ranked #3 of 22 Hotels in Sestri Levante
San Francisco
“My Favorite Mistake”
Reviewed 6 September 2013

We just stayed at the lovely Hotel Helvetia last week. I thought that I was booking a hotel in one of the Cinque Terre towns. My husband noticed it right before we left but said we shouldn't change it because it looked great. We absolutely fell in love with Hotel Helvetia and the town.

Hotel Helvetia really pays attention to all the details. The rooms are nicely decorated. Fine Italian sheets. Friendly helpful staff. We felt it really was an excellent value too.

We did take the train to Cinque Terre and hiked the one trail. Which was beautiful but so packed with tourists in the blazing hot sun. We came back all hot and totally grateful for where we ended up & that I had made such a good mistake. Then we took a cool dip in the pool and looked out to the picture perfect town from the pool edge. What a great start to out Italy vacation.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank DarleneSF

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Stayed at the hotel in August 2013 with family including 2 children (booked
2 rooms).

+ Great place to stay. Small hotel and hence the service is more personalized
+ Excellent staff who go out of the way to make you welcome and comfortable
+ Free wifi
+ Very nice rooms that have all the amenities (aircon, Sky TV box etc)
+ Owner run/managed hotel
+ Great location. Small beach right in front of the hotel. Everything else is walking distance.
+ Has bicycles for guests use
+ Pool overlooking the bay
+ Secure free parking for guests cars (slightly away from the hotel, however hotel staff arranged for the cars to be brought to the hotel when needed)
+ Generally all recommendations by hotel staff regarding restaurants turned out to be very good

We had a great time. Thoroughly enjoyed our stay here. Highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank i_ahmad
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Our room was nicely furnished, newly renovated with 2 (full) bathrooms - which were convienient but small. Housekeeping was very attentive (even swept under the bed daily!). Restaurant and front desk staff were always pleasant, very helpful and accomodating. Breakfast was a good "Italian" breakfast. The boutique hotel was always kept immaculately and it is literally just down the street from the many good local restaurants- very good, convienient location in Sestri Levante.
Unfortunately the car park is a 5min drive away - secure - but that means asking and driving there with one of the hotel staff.. They were very accomodating, but it is inconvienient for this price segment. And the Baia del Silenzio although quaint had yellow water (in June!) at the "Helvetia Beach" area and on 3 of the 5 days had patches of oil from the boats. Needless to say we didn´t go swimming there, but did spend a couple of relaxing afternoons on the rooftop deck.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PaulLahey
Perth, Western Australia
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We picked the hotel for the location and a base to visit Porto Fino and Cinque Terra. All the staff were lovely and friendly and the location looking onto the hay very nice. However for the room/hotel the rate is too expensive for what you get. We had a suite with sea view but bathroom was very small (bit like a cabin on ship!). The pool area is really nice but hotel is fairly basic.

So I guess you pay the rate for the location and view - but in comparison to other hotel we have stayed at on our holiday - felt the rate was too high.

However we would like to thank all the staff who were wonderful to us.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank JohnA52
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 21 August 2013

I stayed here in July 2013 with my wife and kids (age 6 and 8). We had a great time in Sestri Levante and at the Hotel Helvetia. The hotel is situated in the corner of the Bay of Silence. We had an amazing view of the entire bay from our hotel room. The view from the upper pool levels is even more impressive.

The staff were friendly and helpful. Our room was a large 2 bathroom, almost 1-bedroom - there was a heavy curtain that was used to separate the bedroom area from the living room that contained the fold-out bed for the kids. There was separate A/C controls for both "rooms".

There is a small elevator that was useful for getting the luggage to/from our room.

The continental breakfast had a wide variety of foods to choose from. Our only complaint was that breakfast wasn't open until 8:00am, which we found to be a little late, as our kids are early-risers. I took advantage of the later breakfast to get in some early morning runs along the Baia delle Favole (Bay of the Fables).

There is a wonderful two-level pool with a waterfall and several loungers on the upper level. We didn't spend a lot of time at the pool so I can't really comment on lounger availability or if people would "reserve" them all day.

The sandy beach is virtually outside the door of the hotel. The beach area closest to the hotel is slightly rocky when walking in the water. I would suggest walking down the beach a little (at least past the pier) to avoid the rocks.

Hotel guests on the first day are allowed to use loungers and an umbrella compliments of the hotel. Otherwise, you have to pay the lifeguards for their use. Other vendors down the beach also rent chairs and umbrellas for a cheaper price. We chose a vendor slightly down the beach outside a beach restaurant and camped there for the day - we really appreciated the easy access to the restaurant and had a wonderful lunch on the beach.

When it was time to leave the hotel for the train station, the gentleman at the front desk offered to drive us in the hotel vehicle. It would have been a 15 minute or so walk, but with luggage and kids, the free ride was much appreciated. A tip was offered for the generosity but was politely declined.

Note: There was loud music (pounding dance music!) and party noise from somewhere near our beachfront-facing hotel room. I believe, but can't so with certainty, that it came from the beachfront cafe in front of the hotel. With our room overlooking the bay in the front of the hotel, the noise was bothersome.

Our short stay at the hotel was definitely not cheap and was probably double the price we paid at any other hotel, villa, or apartment we rented during our travels in France and Italy. That said, we all enjoyed our stay immensely. If cost was not a factor, I would certainly return here.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank dms666
Bingley
Reviewed 16 August 2013

My family and I stayed at the Hotel Helvetia for the second time in July. It is a perfect base with fantastic views and genuinely friendly and happy staff. We stayed in the same room as our last visit as we had requested which was perfect for my husband and our 2 children, with 2 bathrooms and plenty of room. It had a small balcony looking over the Bay of Silence. Perfect time to go as the last Sunday in July the local community have a festival in the bay where people decorate their boats and put on a fabulous display, we had a perfect view point from the hotel without the hassle of the crowds. Its a fantastic hotel and I could stay there forever!!!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank nickylamb40
Toledo, Ohio
Reviewed 15 August 2013 via mobile

Never having been abroad, I was nervous making reservations at hotels. Trip advisor helped immensely and made me feel more at ease about my choices. But, there is still always some trepidation over how things will turn out. Well, the hotel was fabulous. It was beautifully maintained and cared for as only a family run hotel could be. Chain hotels have nothing on this little gem. And I believe I am now utterly spoiled by the personable attention you get from a small run hotel like this. The level of services however match any big name hotel but, then go the extra mile when it comes to truly knowing their guests. You leave the hotel feeling as if you are leaving friends.
Our room held myself and two teenagers. My daughter and I slept comfortably in the large bed (it felt like a queen) and a rollaway bed was tucked next to the wall unit. It was a little tight but, the hotel had told me it would be. Even so we opted for that because of costs for the trip!
Lastly, I have to mention....free bikes, wonderful terrace breakfast, and the tv! My daughter has mild autism and she needed down time. Being abroad was quite demanding on her. But, having the ability to watch a favorite show (in English) was truly a god-send. And, frankly, some evenings I didnt mind that I could curl up in bed and watch something besides world news BBC! The remote allowed you to change shows (think Law and Order) back to the English version.
Now that's living!!
Well done, Hotel Helvetia. You deserve 1st place!

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family