“Excellent food”
Review of The Veggie Red LIon - CLOSED

The Veggie Red LIon
Price range: US$0 - US$17
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 28 April 2014

My husband who is a veggie and I visited the Veggie Red Lion on Saturday lunchtime. We were nervous as we went there with two friends, one of which is a total meat eater and was very reluctant about trying a vegetarian meal. However, he chose a curry dish and then surprised us by saying that it was the best curry he had ever tasted. High praise indeed! We all chose different dishes but all were excellent. It was particularly nice for my husband to have such a wide choice of dishes as he is used to one boring veggie dish as most restaurants only pay lip service to vegetarian food. Only problem is that it is an hours journey from our home to get there.

2  Thank Jame T
There are newer reviews for The Veggie Red LIon

Reviewed 24 April 2014

I have made the trip to visit the Veggie Red Lion from central Ipswich multiple times (a sign in itself that I enjoy the experience as I am not a driver) and have never been disappointed. The staff are friendly and the atmosphere is welcoming and relaxed, however it's the menu that makes the restaurant worth my praise; as a vegan (with a vegetarian OH) eating out can feel limited, especially if looking for somewhere that will also cater for the tastes of non-vegetarian friends, but the Red Lion is fantastic! The menu is varied and delicious, not a single one of my meat-eating friends has come away disappointed with their meal, while I get to enjoy dishes that are designed for my dietary requirements (rather than simply adapted to remove ingredients & therefore taste). I would take friends, family & even clients here, safe in the knowledge that we will receive good service and an enjoyable eating experience :)

PS, try the take-away ready meals too!

1  Thank HanaFaber
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

My partner and I, although both non - vegetarian decided to try the Red Lion last weekend. Admittedly I was sceptical; doubting that a meal without meat could provide adequate fulfilment especially after a long journey to get there, I didn't want to leave disappointed. Well the building is a quaint, period pub and with the open fire blazing away it created quite the atmosphere. The staff were pleasant and helpful, even politely humoring my poor jokes about sneaking in a sausage or two under my coat. The food was delicious and accompanied with a fine selection of wine. I'll definitely go back, even if the odd sausage wouldn't have gone amiss..

Reviewed 17 April 2014

As a vegetarian I had such high hopes for this restaurant especially as I had been wanting to visit for nearly two years. However, I left feeling hugely disappointed.

The food was bland and tasteless and although not a brilliant cook myself I felt that I could have easily prepared nicer tasting food at home. I also felt that the restaurant lacked ambience.

It is such a shame as this restaurant has such a unique offering, purely serving just vegetarian food, which is such a novelty. However, the chef definitely needs to improve his food before I would return.

1  Thank Lou L
Reviewed 13 April 2014

My husband and I really enjoy going to this pub, as the food is always so full of flavour and they have some very different dishes to the usual boring vegetarian options in restaurants that can't be bothered - The Veggie Red Lion could show them all a thing or two! Always polite service, even when busy and the pub is a lovely old fashioned English pub. Lovely journey to get to it too - driving along beautiful roads through the Suffolk countryside.

1  Thank Autumn1505