“Sottomarina best one”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Il Tavernino

Il Tavernino
Ranked #2 of 81 Restaurants in Sottomarina
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Sottomarina best one”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

Little, recent opening but old tradition, cute and wonderful, restaurant and delicatessen. Don't miss it. Either to dinner (reservation is mandatory only 6 or 7 tables available) or to take away very good foods to eat at home. I would like to write this review because Tavernino deserved it.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Valentino B

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Little culinary gem in the heart of Sottomarina - both take away and sit-in!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

I start by saying I don't usually write reviews but I really thought "il Tavernino" deserved one as it was the culinary highlight of our holiday. Although I have been living in the UK for the past 9 years, I am italian myself, so my palate is still quite hard to please, but without a doubt we had here one of the best fish-based meals we had in a long time!

We spent few days in Sottomarina with some friends last week and we tried it by chance, looking for a healthy (and tasty!!!) take away to eat at the beach (this is also an option for lunch if you feel like trying something else from the usual bruschetta or pizza). The take-away lunch was so good we decided to try it at night for a sit-in meal and... what a discovery!!!

The restaurant is quite small (it is more like a trattoria, and it is a good idea to book a day or so in advance) and quite casual, ideal for a relaxed evening after a long day on the beach. It is located in the main square of Sottomarina, so perfect to go for a walk and an authentic italian "gelato" along the shore.

Luigi (the Chef) apparently used to work in one of the best fish-restaurant in the area and decided recently to start a business on his own. The menu varies daily depending on what fresh fish he can buy each morning at the town fish-market, and this by it-self is a guarantee that the fish is indeed fresh.

MENU
We have tried the "antipasti misti" including an amazing seabass pate' which I had never had before and left me speechless. The "sarde in saor" (onion souce sardines), prawn with radicchio (the Chef's special) were also very delicate and tasty.

As a first main course we had a squid-ink spaghetti with scallops/olives (a special type of olives called Tajasche, which have a stronger characteristic flavour) sauce which was just sublime.

As a second main course I tried a "frittura mista" (mixed deep-fried fish) which was very light and of an appropriate quantity (tried another restaurant in the area the night before and the quality was not even comparable!). Along also the deep-fried veggies were very tasty and cooked to perfection. My wife had a "sole fillet" which also was very tender and tasty.

We had a liquorice sorbet as a desert which also had never had before and was delicate but perfect to digest.

The meal was, of course, washed down by an excellent bottle (was it only one?!) of local Prosecco, which always helps the mood ;-)

In conclusion, we found here an unexpected culinary gem and would definitely recommend it to anyone that enjoys eating well for a reasonable price. I think it is a must try if you spend few days or one night in the area of Chioggia and Sottomarina.

• Visited August 2013