“Not the Italian Experience”
Review of Hotel Clitunno

Hotel Clitunno
Ranked #16 of 29 Hotels in Spoleto
Reviewed 22 June 2013

We stayed in the hotel-owned apartments right next to the building. Our rooms were not adequately cleaned. The staff was helpful and friendly, but the owner and his sons were frequently rude and intentionally unhelpful. When several of our party were locked inside the apartment and some locked out due to the jammed door to our suite, the owner and his sons simply declared it was not possible, and we had to be very insistent that they come and address the problem. The door remained unfixed; we had to leave it open the rest of our stay. Our toilet broke on the first day, and it took four days for them to send a plumber; they sent no one to clean his mess. Our shower broke, and it took a week for them to send plumbers (who were themselves very nice and capable). Though it didn't bother me, the music the hotel plays some days and nights is very, very loud. I could have ignored the lack of cleanliness and the constantly breaking utilities, but the service was simply too awful. The owner and his sons were surly and downright mean at times, and the reception desk was often vacant. Avoid this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Megan B

Reviewed 18 May 2013 via mobile

My husband and I are staying in the hotel clitunno on a return visit to spoleto. I read all the reviews on here and because of my experience and knowledge of Italy chose to ignore the negative comments put on here by people who obviously don't understand Italy and its culture. We are having an amazing trip!
The hotel is close to all the main attractions in spoleto but still tucked away enough to enjoy the peace. The rooms are clean and very typically Italian. The staff are extremely helpful and friendly especially Alexandro ( the waiter) who is most definatly an asset to the place.
The meal we had in the hotels restaurant San Lorenzo on the first night was mind blowing ( both my husband and I are chefs) . Alaxandro was the perfect waiter, he gave us his recommendations on the wine and food and both were excellent. He also took time out to recommend places to see whilest here in spoleto.
If you want true Italian hospitality and culture then you most definatly need to stay here.
Oh and as for the breakfast, I'm sorry but it is very typically Italian, you won't find anything more than this wherever you stay in Italy!

• Stayed: May 2013
5  Thank Talitath
Reviewed 24 April 2013

We had reserved the two best rooms for 18 days. We found two tiny dirty rooms which had not been cleaned for weeks, with crawling insects. Drawers had no handles and could not be opened, lightbulbs were missing, we had problems in the bathroom as well.
The staff was unable or unwilling to help us.
The dinner in the hotel was so bad that they didn't even charge us
We escaped after one night; they nevertheless charged us 30% of the 17 not used days.
Letters of complaint to the Umrian consumer protection and to the mayor of Spoleto were never answered...
Avoid this hotel!

Room Tip: Just avoid this hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank Norbert C
Reviewed 19 April 2013

Positioned on the edge of Spoleto, with excellent views from the rear, Hotel Clitunno offers confortable and stylish accommodation. The rooms are not huge but everything works. Dinner at the hotel is excellent and highly reccomended, breakfast however, could have been better. Overall, a great place to stay when exploring this fascinating town.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 April 2013

The best thing about this hotel is the location and the food. The hotel is a family business, the new generation doesn't seem to have the care about service. The restaurant in the hotel, the English speaking waiter make this hotel a place to visit. The location is fantastic! Shoulder season, the hotel can be very cold, shower's need to work better. With all that, would suggest this hotel. Just have reasonable expectations. This town has some of the best food in Italy! Have fun.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 December 2012

While on tour we stayed here 3 nights. It is off the beaten path and hard to find. Our room was small, plain, but functional. I don't expect luxury, however we were cramped. Breakfast was mediocre. Dinner was excellent, large portions and the courses just kept coming. The wait staff at the bar were fun and jovial. I can't fault this old town inn, but rather doubt that I would return.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 December 2012

I was based at the hotel for a two-day business trip and have nothing but praise for the way the staff welcomed and looked after me. Nothing was too much trouble. It's in an ideal location to explore the old part of Spoleto, which was stunning in the winter sun. Although the bathroom was small, it was fine for my needs and I enjoyed the peace and quiet of a good night's sleep. The hotel has a lovely ambience and the restaurant is superb. As a solo traveller I did not feel awkward sitting on my own and indeed I was quite happy to take my time enjoying the chef's recommendations and excellent wine choice, just soaking up the atmosphere. Will definitely return. This is not for guests seeking standard universal hotel facilities and decor - but for those who embrace what is a family business in the heart of Italy.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business