Hotel Clitunno
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
Albornoz Palace Hotel(Spoleto)
View Hotel
All reviewsfamily businessexcellent staybreakfast was includedfamily runyogurtumbria
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 June 2014

The hotel is right in the centre of town and gets quite busy with the locals weekend nights but lots of atmosphere but the best bit is the hotel food is excellent - eat in evenings don't go out. We really enjoyed ourselves but not sure I would go back to stay just book the restaurant.
The hotel rooms are small and pokey nowhere to swing a cat if you have brought one with you and the fellas at reception are as grumpy as hell and not particularly helpfull (when booking a room with a bath I did'nt get a plug as I was probably expected to bring my own. Other than that enjoyed it and can't complain about the the rooms cleanliness or anything else.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank martyn c
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I stayed here for sometime and quiet loved it . Loved the food and variety served here. Internet quality was good. The owner also helped me rent an apartment for my stay in Spoleto . Overall a nice and warm place .I have good memories of Spoleto and Hotel Clitunno.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank amu_angel
Reviewed 26 October 2013

I expected a smaller hotel, smaller room but also expected decent dining room. Was on a tour, stayed 4 nights, and we were treated very well. The room was small and, I suppose because its built on a hillside,, there were 3 steep steps down into our bathroom...had to leave light on overnight so we didn't trip! But it was all in the experience! Loved the food and enjoyed the continental breakfast...wasn't crazy about the coffee, tea was lukewarm but...cappucino was available upon request for no charge!
Really enjoyed the bar. Alessandro, our waiter, was fantastic and just couldn't do enough to make our stay a great one!

Room Tip: make sure the bathroom in on the same level! And...enjoy the differences!!
Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Margaret M
Reviewed 19 October 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 3 days as part of a tour of Italy and it was just dreadful.

Our room was tiny, dusty and cold. The whole bathroom was the size of a telephone box, once you were in the shower you could not even shuffle round for fear of hitting the temperature gauge and freezing or scalding yourself. There was no shelf in the shower so my husband had to hand shampoo over the glass panel then take it back then repeat for conditioner soap etc it was a comedy act. If you dropped a bottle you had to get out of the shower to retrieve it as there was literally no room to bend down. We were lucky we actually had hot water as others did not.

The bed linen was clean but there were no duvets / blankets and the room heating did not work, I ended up wearing several layers in bed just to keep warm.

The food we were served was absolutely dreadful. It was dumped down on the table and from a table of 8 people 5 plates were taken away virtually untouched and staff did not ask why as they were not interested. This was repeated on all three nights. The pasta tasted like it came out of a can of spaghetti hoops and the "fruit salad"was clearly canned with a bit of fresh strawberry on the top to make it look fresh. Meat was tough and served almost raw.

Breakfast was equally bad with stale bread, rotten coffee ( yes in Italy) and very little choice, the cereal was children's chocolate flakes -take it or leave it.

I am sure that private guests would have a very different experience here but those in our tour were defiantly treated as second class.

The hotel is very central in Spoletto and has nice public areas.

If you are part of a tour then void this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Egglesbrech
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We stayed two nights in this hotel in Spolleto. To reach it our tour manager had to get someone from the hotel to come to our drop off point and walk us to it.

Tucked away in a quiet back area, the front of the hotel looks nice with the seating and umbrellas outside. There were both upright seats around tables as well as cane sofas and chairs with coffee tables which made it feel more like an outside lounge!

However once inside it was so different! Our rooms had not been sorted or allocated so we queued up whilst each member of the coach party had to approach the desk and have something sorted for them. Those happy to accept rooms with a double bed were ushered to the front of the queue as there were supposed to be about 8 or 10 rooms available. (I later learned that even these double bedded rooms often contained two single beds put side by side).

We were allocated room 126.

No one mentioned there are mezzanine levels, so finding the first floor if you walk up is not quite as easy as you would think!

Room 126 was very small. Just enough room to fit two single beds side by side with a tiny shelf/unit as a bedside table.

The small, flat screen tv (hardly any channels if you wanted to watch) on the wall at the bottom of the bed and it would have to be on the wall because there was only about 2 or 3 foot between the foot of the beds and the wall!

The bathroom was obviously even smaller. The shower cublicle was only about 30" square with corner opening sliding doors. This was so small my partner could not even get in it!

The funny thing was that one wall was taken up with the tiny wardrobe shelf (no room for an actual unit with a door) and a small set of doors. The surprise when you squeezed outside was that you were on a large terrace at the back of the hotel!

Apart from the several washing lines strung up holding washing, and the old trainers left outside our doorway, it was a pleasant surprise and it was just a shame the room was so cramped!

The dining room at Clitunno was decorated quite nicely however there were only about three staff serving everyone and the first night was one where we had no menu so had no idea what we were going to be served.

As it happens, the food was quite good, with the panacotta type desert actually excellent.

Breakfasts however were not good. No one was looking after replenishing any of the food or drink that ran out. Not helpful when there was only a medium sized jug of milk for all breakfast requirements by everyone!

There was little choice in cereals (cornflakes or nothing actually), half slices of small slices of bread which I found very disappointing. A small thermos of the weakest tea I have ever had was on offer, also not refilled as well as a small urn of coffee - also not refilled.

When our tour manager enquired about more bread or rolls etc. etc., she was told 'they had run out!' Not sure if that simply meant they were trying to keep their expenses down by not ordering much or if they really had 'run out'. The second day was no different, so I would suspect they were just intent on reducing their expenses to increase their profits.

The location of the hotel was actually not bad. Once you understood where the lower town was and where the upper levels were.

If you discount the size of the hotel rooms and the food, this is not a bad hotel! I prefer a less claustrophobic room so speaking personally, I would not return there again.

Room Tip: I understand there might be one room which is a good size, with good facilities. This is at the front of the hotel and is above the hotel entrance. I did not get the feeling that any of the other rooms in this hotel were worth staying in if you had a choice.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends