Il Vulcano a Piedi - Stromboli Excursions Organizer
Ranked #4 of 14 things to do in Stromboli
More attraction details
Owner description: The Vulcano a Piedi, organizes excursions on Stromboli volcano, and promotes the knowledge of the entire Aeolian archipelago.There is no sight more fascinating than that of an active volcano, a small dot on the map where the land glimpses of what happens in the ever-raging forge hidden inside it.Following the paths that meander along its slopes you will admire spectacular volcanic events, surrounded by wonderful natural landscapes you will enjoy beautiful panoramic views.
Reviewed 27 May 2014

at night the walk is amazing you hear the bolt and see the incandescent lava. You need water and boots, tha you can rent on the spot, and above all you need the guide, it is prohibited to get to the top all by yourself.

2  Thank Guido B
in 6 reviews
in 5 reviews
in 5 reviews

Reviewed 1 May 2014

... Extremely windy and dusty once at the top, made it very difficult for us to wait for few flashes of lava in the night. Most importantly people with asthma or allergies should be aware of the difficult breathing at the top due to mix of gases and smoke (also eyes rushes and tears). The lava eruptions are not continuous, we waited for almost 40 min ( which seemed extremely long after the strenuous climb ) coughing and washing our eyes continuously, without seeing more than a few shy flashes of lava.

Descent is very deceiving - appears easier but actually in the night, limited visibility and already tired, on knee deep sand is challenging - especially if your guide is already 30 min ahead of you and the group scattered around the volcano each one n their own. We were with a group from Adventures Stromboli - wouldn't recommend. You can rent good boots / hiking shoes and lantern / lamp, must have long socks and wind jacket.

5  Thank Gallivanting_ww
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Very admirable service that when some fog descended they gave us the option of rescheduling our private guide to the next day.
We had small children with us (8, 6 and 2) and our private guide used a good steady pace that they could manage (I carried the 2 year old on my back).
It was colder than expected on the top but our guide came to my children's rescue with some spare fleeces that he was carrying.

3  Thank Steve R
Reviewed 1 October 2013

We booked with Stromboli a Piedi, the office situated on Via Roma and after parting with our €25 we were given the wrong information about the start time. After a very unhappy guide refused point blank to wait for my partner who had been delayed by a few mins and also refused to let me go and get some water I realised that the tour had set off some 10 mins earlier than the scheduled departure time. I was being bullied (by someone who spoke no English!!!) into leaving my partner behind so the guide could catch up with the other guides and the main group and it was a very stressful situation. My pleads of wanting to wait for few mins more were met with shouting and pulling at my arm up the hill. All that aside we did both make the ascent with the main group after catching them up and it was one of the most magical experiences of my life. Sitting on the edge of a volcano crater watching spurts of lava, ash and sparks leap out into the night was breathtaking. I had to pinch myself several times while there.

The only other downside to this trip was the downside. In the dark with headtorches down a very steep and deep sandy track with the lead guide going at a rapid speed. People were struggling to keep up and a few people behind us fell at several points. Quite a dangerous situation. The whole group were split up I estimated we were back at the start about 30 mins at least before the trailing groups. Bad planning and I wish we'd researched the guides before booking this.

5  Thank lynne2509
See more reviews
Reviewed 29 September 2013

seen a few negative reviews of the hiking guides on here. I've just returned from sicily were me and my son hiked up to stromboli summit.
it is a fairly strenuous climb, but I'm 41, overweight, smoker of 20 cigarettes a day for years and I never exercise and I made it :-) Our guide was Lorenzo from magmatrek, I thought he was a very good guide, speaking fluent English and French and giving info on the volcano as we went and answering every question. He saw that one member of our group was struggling a little, and stopped to let catch up and gave his walking pole to them. I'm glad to say we all made it up the volcano, I was definately the unhealthiest member of the group and jelly sweets and red bull helped me to the summit. do whatever works for you. if you really feel you can't make it, then it's probably best to give up below 500 metres where you can safely make it back on your own. the boulders above this are sharp and loose
. Yes the pace may seem quick, and between 250 metres and 500 metres I thought I was going to die but just keep plugging away! (that part seemed the hardest to me) maybe it's best if you are worried about keeping up to walk directly behind your guide as they walk at a steady pace, if you fall behind to the back of the group you have to keep stopping as you zig zag up the volcano.
very pleased with magma trek, after all you pay to be guided up a volcano safely, nothing else.
there's probably a bit of friendly rivalry going on between guides to get groups to the summit, but that's life. The reward of the summit makes it all worthwhile.
met 2 great fellow hikers, Peter from Northamptonshire and Jurgen from Germany on our climb.
all in all, Great experience and I might have even lost a little weight. Stromboli wasn't overly active but we saw amazing views and sunset, some explosions, plenty of rumbling, and showered in a fine ash, all contributing to the experience.. pity, as the night before we went to the scoria on a boat and it was constant activity.
the descent was fast, but that's the only way it can be going down a 45 degree slope of deep sand and I wouldn't want to be hanging around that slope in any case due to possible rocks coming at you, you can't see them in the dark!, after the slope there are fairly good paths right back to the village..
25€ is a reasonable price. considering I paid nearly a 5th of that for a coka cola

5  Thank rich364