“So much more than pane e vino”
Review of Pane & Vino

Pane & Vino
Ranked #5 of 77 Restaurants in Todi
Price range: US$20 - US$40
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Ristorante-osteria con cucina tipica a base di prodotti locali e stagionali ,alcune ricette sono state adattate allo stile di vita attuale dallo chef patron Loredana,a disposizione 2 camere matrimoniali ,vendita di vini ,oli,specialita alimentari
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We ate here twice in a 4-night visit to Todi, once for lunch and again for dinner. The boards of charcuterie are amazing: for example, the Antipasti Pane e Vino, a 3-part serving of cured meats; crostini, one of lardo, one of a melted blue cheese, and a cabbage leaf stufffed with a blue goat cheese; and 3 pieces of pecorino with currant jelly and a killer smoked bacon drizzled with a balsamic glaze. It's enough for lunch on its own. But the pastas and other offerings made us go back for dinner two nights later, when we had a slice of grilled cinghiale mortadella, again with a balsamic glaze, that may have been the best dish of a two-week trip. A spiced lamb shank with black truffles and a plate of perfect tortelloni stuffed with pumpkin, dripping with lightly honeyed butter and sprinkled with poppy seeds, and we fairly rolled home.

1  Thank JaylynBrookline_MA

Reviewed 8 June 2014

First, one should note there are a lot of places to go in Todi that do not do as well as Pane e Vino. The space is quite quirky and they have made it interesting without being twee. The food is well done- with a big group nothing was poorly executed.

I suppose my reservation is that it is really heavy Umbrian cuisine without so much as a hint of anything light or subtle. This is the Umbria that was an appendage of the Papal States where simplicity counted and elegance was for City Folk.

Hence, my title - if it is cold and you need to keep up your weight and body temperature up to keep from freezing, I would think it would be excellent.On the other hand, when the temperatures hover around 30 C, you can eat the same stuff and wonder why. Unfortunately, after not going for several years, I forgot that rule.

The antipasti are not subtle, The salumi are just ok. The mains are somewhat better but things like Stinco (Pork hock), Agnello (Lamb hock) and Faraona (Guinea Fowl special) are good but heavy as you would assume.

The vegetables on offer are quite ok, but since I live locally and eat at home, the idea that they are particularly fresh or local is just not true.

On the positive side, the people are quite nice and earnest about what they are up to and I suppose if you want to understand how people ate in Umbria generally, there are (as indicated) a lot of choices that are worse.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

This restaurant was trashed recently on Trip Advisor, but the person from whom we rented the house where we stayed recommended it, so we tried it and were very glad we did. We sat outside, the service was quite good, we were visited a number of times by a man I believe was the owner, and all was fine. Three of the four of us rated our lunches as excellent. And we had some olive oil there which was the best I've evar tasted.
Definitely recommend this spot. Try it. You'll like it!

Reviewed 20 May 2014

This is a bistro style restaurant and the food is freshly prepared from local produce. My wife and I had streak with truffles and it was excellent , the deserts where also good value. The service is warm and friendly and there is an opportunity to try out your Italian.
Good value for money

Reviewed 5 January 2014

But don't expect to be able to walk after the enormous portions.

Went here again last night. Fantastic guinea fowl in a beautiful chicken liver sauce and the goose carpaccio is amazing.

This is a fantastic Umbrian restaurant. They are part of the the Slow Food movement and it shows - all the meat tastes wonderful and rich.

Go at once!