“We don't get the hype!”

Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
leicestershie
“We don't get the hype!”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We visited Antica early August 2014, and I have to say we really don't get the hype that the other reviewers on Trip Advisor had experienced.
We arrived with great expectations & left VERY disappointed.
The overwhelming smell in the restaurant when we arrived was of truffle oil.
We shared an antipasti starter which was just ok, but not to the standard of many of the wine bars and restaurants in Italy.
Then to to the mains!
One of us had ravioli with truffles, sounds like it should be amazing! However what arrived was ravioli smothered in a very rich creamy truffle oil sauce, which in my opinion totally over powered the dish and I was unable to eat.
My wife's meal was slightly better, a spaghetti dish, but still it was over complicated and too rich!
With so many great restaurants in the area, we just don't get this place, and it's reviews on TA.
We visit Italy regularly, and go back to lots of restaurants, but we feel this one is not very authentic, and is an English interpretation of what Italian food should be.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank lb44

• Finnish first
Genève
“Thought I was in heaven! Absolutely devine!”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

What an exceptional great experience!

If only this restaurant was nearby...

My husband an I had dinner twice at this heavenly restaurant. The service by Elena is BRILLIANT! Such a lovely and discreet lady.

We tried to make a reservation by telephone for the evening as we so much enjoyed the first evening at this restaurant. Unfortunately the restaurant was fully booked but Elena recommend us to come over and try a bit later in the evening. And we were lucky, Elena hold a table for us!

The first night we had "antipasti de la Valle" and the "Bresaola in carpaccio con rucola melo e aceto balsamic" as a starter. Both absoluty devine!!! As main course we had one evening "Tagliolini al tartufo" and the second evening the two of us had the "antipasti de la Valle" as a starter and the "Filetto du manzi al tartufo". I thought I died and went straight to heaven! What a marvellous taste!!!

Later the second evening John the chef, talked with us and another lovely group of people who had dinner at the restaurant before as well, and offered a taste of various delicious wines and a piece of cheesecake. Never in my entire life did I taste a succulent, yummy cheesecake like this.
John told about his plan to open a new restaurant with cookery class next year and to write a cookery book. Can’t wait for this to happen. If only I new how to make such delicious dishes.

Elena and John thank you once more for the delicious meals and those unforgettable moments you shared with us! You really made the difference for our holidays!
We hope to seeing you soon again!!!

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Tandem2
Surrey, United Kingdom
“The best restaurant in Umbria??”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We were fortunate enough to have been told about this restaurant by our friends and they booked the table for us all when we visited in early July - They had told us how much they had enjoyed this restaurant and their recommendation did not disappoint. The atmosphere was perfect, no pretension, just great food at reasonable prices. The service was slow but... that sort of suited the situation, we were not hurried or rushed and we had plenty of time in between courses which we loved. The starters were superb; our friends had truffle pasta and we had prawn with pasta all of which were delicious but the main course was right up there with favourite meals I've eaten - fillet steak with a generous topping of truffles and wonderful roast potatoes - the chef is a genius and the food is absolutely delicious. it's a small restaurant and if you want to avoid disappointment - you must book!!! We understand that the restaurant will be moving premises in the near future and... when we return, we will make sure we track them down in their new location.

1 Thank Jacqueline S
Bangor, United Kingdom
“Wonderful flavoursome food”
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

We booked a table and it was a good move because several couples were turned away. As usual friendly efficient service. The salmon gorgeous to start. I asked for a small ravioli with creamy tartufa which tasted and looked delicious. I had sea bass and my husband had lamb chops. Perfect. The wine was good. The White could have been chillier. We had a great evening. John the chef came out to shake hands as we left, a personal touch. Thoroughly recommend you visit if eating in Todi.

New York City, New York
“Loved It!”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Our group of four celebrated the final night of our nearby villa rental with a terrific meal, thanks to Chef John. Our varied entrees were the sea bass, sliced veal with juniper berries, lamb chops and pasta with shrimp, all excellent.

John can seat 30 and wisely holds a few tables for the locals who enjoy dining with him year-round.

By all means, dine here and be sure to make a res. Easily the best meal we had in Todi.