“Great place”

Piccolo Mondo Hotel
Ranked #7 of 32 Hotels in Torbole
“Great place”
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Everyone should visit this hotel, to experinece friendly and calm family atmosphere. Great kitchen, charming staff and very clean environment. If you want to avoid summer crowd and still enjoy warm sunny weather come here beginnig of October. AND drink red or white wines from excelent local wineyard named Pravis, from Lasino.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Daniela E

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Czech first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 September 2013

First let's get over the basics. The hotel is extremely clean, well maintained with some lovely gardens and both indoor and outdoor pools. The rooms are well kept and large enough with clean linen and excellent cleansing by chambermaids. The receptionist was helpful and spoke excellent English and despite earlier reviewers saying how miserable the owner's wife is we found her quite smiley. Views from our balcony were of the mountains so very pleasant.

Now the buts.....

1. The restaurant and bar staff are fawningly attentive (like Basil to a phoney lord and lady) but you can't help feeling they don't mean it.

2. We were half-board as was everyone else (I think it's compulsory) so started out eating our evening meals in the nicely appointed, if over lit, restaurant. This is where the care home comment comes from. This hotel is obviously used to catering for English travelers of a certain age so their food is not so much good local Italian as bland English old folks home. This may well be what most of their guests wanted but we ended up going out to find authentic local cuisine. The worst part was the so-called "gala night" where everyone was expected to applaud as the chef wheeled out a roast leg of pork covered in sparklers. Don't get me wrong I love a nice bit of roast pork but I don't expect to applaud a chef for doing a basic bit of cooking. On the pork front I suspect the owner has shares in a pig farm as there was pork in one form or another every single night.

3. Wine and booze. The wine is not cheap but they did have some excellent local choices and I thank the waiters for their advice on local vintages. Drinks in the bar however are very small measures and very expensive and unless you only want to join the old folks for a half hour drink before dinner you have to hunt for someone to serve you.

4. Wifi. They charge - and quite a lot - which in this day and age is unacceptable.

5. Air conditioning. It was very warm and suddenly the air conditioning in our room stopped working. I reported it to reception and was told they had turned off the air conditioning as it was no longer summer and they were preparing to put heating on for winter. Temperatures outside were 28 to 29 degrees C. Like so much else here it gave us the firm impression that this hotel was run entirely for the convenience of the owners and staff and the guests were expected to appreciate what was being done for them whether they liked it or not.

6. Location. Torbole is lovely but it is very much geared to windsurfers and cyclists/motorcyclists so the town itself is a bit lacking in decent eateries. We did eventually find an excellent place (La Terazza by the lake) but mostly it is full of pizza and burger joints. Having said that Riva Del Garda is just up the road and there are loads of great places to eat and drink there.

Conclusion: I have found it difficult to write this review because at surface level this appears to be a truly excellent hotel but I have to tell it as we found it. Lots of people (especially I suspect people over 70) would love it and many of our fellow guests clearly did, but for us it was just a bit too cloying and claustrophobic and not really guest oriented even though it pretends to be. In many ways it was like traveling back to the 1970s - even down to the decor in the bar.

Room Tip: Definitely get a balcony
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Hugh B
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 September 2013

Came here on my own and really enjoyed my stay - that is until the owners tried to make me pay for another whole day of wifi when I had been told that the price I paid would be for the duration of my stay.

The hotel is lovely and clean and within easy reach of everything with some lovely walks into the city. The food was amazing and I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here ....

Would highly recommend. Watch out for the drinks, wifi etc you have put on your room though - they do not give you a full account just a final total which I think you have to keep a bit of an eye on.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank angelsmagic53
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 10 September 2013

I have just returned from Torbole where I stayed with Piccolo Mondo hotel for three nights and I can only highly recommend this hotel to everyone who seeks perfect location, welcoming and professional service (my most sincere thanks mainly to Veronica, a receptionist, who did not hesitate to address all my requests and answer any questions in perfect English), nice rooms, spacious garden, out-door and in-door swimming pool and a relaxing sitting by the bar. Also let's not forget rich breakfast which is not always the case in Italian hotels. I had not booked the room in advance but called the hotel when driving to Torbole. The hotel has kindly made the reservation over the phone and put me into a nice air-conditioned room (I believe all rooms have air-con) with a little private out-door sitting.
One reviewer mentioned it takes 45 mins to get to Riva and that Riva is better place. Well, it depends. I personally find Torbole charming and lively place with lots of good restaurants (one of them called La Terazza was recommended by Veronica and it was definitely worth trying) and bars and easy beach access (although it certainly lacks Riva's historical decor, shopping opportunities or general feel of a small charming town) . And it certainly does not take 45 mins to walk to Riva. And even if it does the walk is fantastic because you walk along the lake shores with fantastic views on to lake or mountains. The hotel is located on the main street with lots of parking places (parking in Torbole or Riva can be a nightmare in peak season) and just between Torbole and Riva. You can walk left or right from the hotel and in both cases you will be rewarded. But the swimming pool and garden are on the opposite side so you will not hear the noise at all.
I am already planning next visit to Piccolo Mondo perhaps at the end of this season.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Peter3489
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Likes:

Small, pretty hotel, with attractive gardens at front and rear. Efficient, friendly staff who aim to please - some have a good command of the English language. Rooms clean and comfortable with ample storage space - beds made up and fluffy white towels were changed daily whilst we were at breakfast. Breakfast room clean, bright and airy - one part being a conservatory. Signor Chiesa, owner, takes great pride in presentation of buffet breakfast which offers above average selection, although no bacon. Dinner is waiter/waitress served apart from salad starter which is self-service and buffet night when it is all self-service. Cuisine is traditional and regional but the menu is sometimes lost in translation e.g. 'tasty veal bites' means cubes of veal that have been casseroled. The quality of food varies but in the main good with several choices - vegetarians might struggle with limited choice. Each menu has recommended wines which cost around 20 euros per bottle. However, they do have a wine list which also offers other wines at the same price. Patrizio is very capable at recommending suitable wines. Spotless adult pool and pool area with separated enclosed elevated pool area for children - play equipment adjacent to and separated from main pool. Very comfortable and clean sun loungers. Outdoor eating area for snacks/lunches. Pool attendant and staff on hand to attend to needs of sunbathers. In the main, the area was quite peaceful and enabled my husband and I to read our books in comfort. Location is almost central to the small town of Torbole which has a few shops and a promenade overlooking Lake Garda. The rear and side of the hotel overlook hills whilst the front overlooks the garden terrace. Free car park to front and side of hotel.

Dislikes:

Service at Reception varies depending on who is on duty. Monday is the regular receptionist's day off - the day we arrived. First impressions weren't good. A man at the desk dressed in shabby shorts and T shirt, looking quite unprofessional, kept us waiting for ten minutes whilst he attended to two telephone calls (turned out to be the owner's son). After having driven from England this did not bode well with us. We were eventually given the key to our room without any explanation or helpful information to make us feel more informed and relaxed. There was no informative literature in the room either. We gleaned information from other English speaking guests. We were in room 103. The balcony was not welcoming - it looked drab with its weathered wooden barrier and discoloured table and chairs. It overlooked the breakfast conservatory roof and had very little privacy since all balconies were exposed. If I'm not wrong, I think that one of the traveller's photos shows a view from room 103. The bathroom had an enclosed shower cubicle which worked well. However, the first thing I noticed, before I used it, was that the frame had not been cleaned effectively. Apart from mould there were longs strands of dark hair trapped in the frame - very off putting. I found the blankets rather heavy and would have preferred a summer quilt.

General: The daily menus are sometimes shown in the lobby on the notice board - these tend to be when the meal is a typical regional menu. When there is to be a buffet (all self-service) , a large humorous painting is placed at the entrance to the restaurant which is supposed to indicate that it is better to arrive on time or there could be no food left, as we discovered to our detriment.
It is a family-owned business with Mr and Mrs Chiesa and a son being the one's seen by the guests. I get the impression that Mr Chiesa takes a great pride in the appearance and keeps himself busy especially at breakfast ensuring supplies are replenished. Mrs Chiesa mans the receptionist at times and is to be seen clearing tables and serving. Unfortunately, she never appears to look happy. I just wonder whether age is getting the better of her. Thankfully, she employs an efficient staff who are eager to please.

It takes about 45 minutes to walk into Riva del Garda - turn right as you leave the hotel - a much prettier and spacious area than Torbole. Try to stay off the main road which is very busy and instead use the cycle paths which are signposted. These are much safer and more interesting to follow. There is also a bus route but the buses are not always on time. The hotel offers free use of bicycles but they didn't appear to provide helmets. All in all, we had a pleasant four nights at Hotel Piccolo.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BEEGEE77
Reviewed 1 September 2013

I couldn't fault anything about my stay at this hotel! The friendliness and helpfulness of the staff was the key that created the wonderful atmosphere. The owner Sergio is extremely hand's-on (often seen in an apron helping with breakfast service and dinner service!) and he is very willing to offer advice and assistance to all the guests. I found each and every one of the staff members very approachable and very helpful.
The rooms were sizable and comfortable, with a large en-suite and lovely balcony to catch the evening sun! The outdoor pool was lovely and very suitable for small children due to the shallow waters at one end and there was never a need to rush for a sun-lounger as they provided plenty for everyone. The hotel also provides free bicycle use and it was a great way to get around, taking short trips to Riva and Arco.
The food was exquisite! With the wide range of food on offer for breakfast everyone is bound to find something to their liking! My personal favorite was the lovely fresh fruit and yogurt, along with a cappuccino, while getting to enjoy the view out over the mountains. Every evening we were treated to a 4 course meal, with plenty of choice and staff were very obliging if something wasn't to your liking. The portion sizes tended to be on the generous side (there's no fear of going hungry!).
This is a lovely hotel and I would hope to return to enjoy another of Marco's delicious Mojito's!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Bangor N Ireland
Reviewed 21 July 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Piccolo Mondo from 6-13 July. We thoroughly enjoyed our holiday. All the staff were great from the moment we arrived and were checked in by a very nice girl at the reception desk, until the moment we left. Patrizio, Alexsai, and Dania were always very friendly and helpful as indeed were all the staff.
Breakfast was always very good with plenty of choice and the 4 course evening meals were great. We especially enjoyed the buffet night and the Gala night.
We enjoyed using the outdoor pool and jacuzzi and never had a problem getting a sunlounger. The hotel is in a very good location with great views of the mountains, close to the shops and yet quiet and peaceful. We would definitely love to stay here again.
Many thanks to Sergio, his wife and all the staff for a lovely holiday.
Irene and Alan Long

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Irene L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Torbole
Hotel Lago di Garda
#1 of 62 in Riva Del Garda
SeeLe Garda Hotel
SeeLe Garda Hotel
#5 of 32 in Torbole

Been to Piccolo Mondo Hotel? Share your experiences!