“Wonderful fish, lovely authentic restaurant”

Osteria del Pescatore
Ranked #38 of 143 Restaurants in Tropea
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 4 October 2013

We ate here twice this summer because I had eaten here last year and remembered it was good, well it is still great. Lovely swordfish, wonderful Greco wine and the filej with tuna was very memorable. Great down to earth local fish restaurant. recommended

Reviewed 17 September 2013

This small family restaurant is located in the basement with outside seating available in a small piazza. We came upon it while strolling through the narrow streets of Tropea. We chose it because it was filled with locals having a great time. Laughter, food and wine...The staff was very helpful..though again, there was little English spoken. We had a delicious antipasto (vegetarian 'cause I'm allergic to shrimp) and pasta dishes made with a local variation called "filaj." It looks like it may be made from a rectangle of pasta dough that is rolled, to a thickness a straw and about 3 or 4 inches long. I tried to look it up, but all the references seem to be in Italian, and as we know, I don't speak Italian. I ordered it because I heard all the beautiful young ladies at the family table across the way raving it. It was delicious. If you want a taste of real local food from Tropea try to find the Osteria and let your hair down and enjoy (oh, you may have to share a table...and that's okay!).

Reviewed 28 August 2013

This was another restaurant which was recommended in our guidebook- baffled by the choice of restaurants in Tropea, we went for this one and certainly didn't regret it. The menu is great, very authentic, loads of fresh fish and seafood. Outdoor seating area is lovely and staff were very friendly. The head waiter (perhaps owner?) was great- two of my friends were keen on the mixed grill, but didn't fancy one of the fish on it, so he changed it around a bit to include Swordfish, a whole squid, giant king prawns and a fillet of local fish- it was absolutely stunning, all super fresh and perfectly cooked, ridiculously good value for 18 Euros. The Linguine del Pescatore is without a doubt the best seafood pasta I have eaten anywhere in the world. Packed with all sorts of seafood- mussels, clams, prawns, squid rings and tentacles and some tasty unidentifiable bits, the slight touch of tomato in the sauce complemented the gorgeous fishy flavours perfectly. The local wine was really cheap and perfectly drinkable- 2 Euros for a jug big enough for two glasses! Only slightly annoying part of the visit was that the restaurant had absolutely no change (no coins, notes, nothing) I know Italians like to be paid with as close to the correct change as possible, but this was a bit ridiculous and meant we had to wait for a while for various kitchen staff to empty their pockets for the owner!!

Very much recommend this place. An absolute gem. Book a table outside at a sensible time (8pm ish) and you won't be disappointed.

Reviewed 12 July 2013

Very small place. You should order the table in advance in order to seat on the terrace - only three or four tables outside. The food is good, but I expected more from this place after reading comments. Nothing special.

Reviewed 24 June 2013

Tucked in the back streets of Tropea, a family-run Osteria with fresh seafood caught by the family's boat. Great service, quality and prices.