“Delicious food at a fair price!”

Albergo Ristorante Bologna
Ranked #10 of 23 Hotels in Varese
Reviewed 1 November 2011

Albergo Bologna provides delicious, unpretentious food in a friendly, lively atmosphere. Hotel not the main business but the rooms are comfortable and large. A bit noisy because of bar and road below.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank teach-9317

Reviewed 3 January 2009

I have stayed at this hotel 10-12 times over the past decade but this was my first visit for about 4 years. I discovered it when it was recommended by colleagues when I had to work in Varese and can pay no bigger compliment than to say I have returned 6 times with my wife and friends at our own expense, it has never disappointed. It is a true northern Italian experience.
As others have noted, the rooms are spacious and well equipped with nice, modern bathrooms. However what really sets it apart from the others are the fantastic restaurant which specialises in wonderful and plentiful Lombardian cuisine and the staff. The owner is the finest host I have ever encountered; I am sure he remembered us (if not he behaved as if he did) and nothing is too much trouble - even things you do not know you want are provided. We were here on New Year's Eve when the celebration meal alone was an event worthy of a report (though vegetarians might struggle).
This hotel is also fantastic value for money, it is the only place I have ever stayed where I wish the bill was larger!
There are prettier towns in Italy than Varese and it does not get many tourists, but it is very well placed for lakes Como and Maggiore and a climb up Sacro Monte, just outside the town, is very worthwhile. However, if nothing else attracts you, I still recommend Varese for this hotel/restaurant alone.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Skyraider
Reviewed 25 January 2008

We stayed on a Sunday night, on our way back to Milan airport (about 1hr away), and having read excellent reviews about the restaurant, booked half-board. We were not disappointed!

The rooms (we had 2 rooms, as we are a family of 4) were spacious and clean, with lovely bathrooms. The air conditioning was very welcome. Our dinner was superb, with lots of local dishes, and the restaurant was packed, mostly with locals - business men, families, couples - it was a lovely mixture. It was also great value for money - 140 Euros/night/room half-board.

As we had a car, an added bonus was that the car park (with electronically-controlled gate) was very handy. The one-way system in Varese was complicated, but there were signs to the hotel from several streets away - at least it wasn't as bad as driving round Bologna.

It was a lovely end to our holiday.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
1  Thank SJHLancs
Reviewed 24 May 2006

What more can I say? Room was great, with a huge bathroom. Restaurant is undoubtedly one of the best in Varese, if not the entire Milan area. The coffee bar attached, run by the same family, was a happening place with great service. Include a place to park your car, which they have less than a half block away, and what more could you ask for. Reasonably priced as well. Service was superb.

• Stayed: March 2006
4  Thank Marco_di_Fano-Ohio
Reviewed 29 March 2006

Stopped in here for one night just by chance before flying back to USA the next day. The room was decent size and the bathroom was nice especially by European standards. What really was unbelievable was the restaurant as the place was packed, the food was amazing and the prices were quite reasonable. I ate a lot of good food in Italy and this place was right at the top. The owner is a sharp, nice guy too and took great care of us.
If I ever get back to the Milan area this is definitely where I will stay.

• Stayed: March 2006, travelled on business
2  Thank chril2us
A TripAdvisor Member
Ajka, Hungary
Reviewed 19 November 2005

I spent 3 days at this hotel. I enjoyed it, because the boss is a gentleman, the staff is kind and the rooms and the restaurant are excellent. You must try it!

• Stayed: October 2005, travelled on business
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Hamburg
Reviewed 10 October 2005

I just stayed there for one day, but I enjoyed it very much. Espacially the restaurant was very good.
The only thing is, that you should order a room that is not behind the neon sign of the hotel. That sign hums the whole night.
The rooms have dvd-players. Don't forget your dvd's.

• Stayed: October 2005, travelled on business