“Tired hotel”

Grand Hotel Royal, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #1 of 51 Hotels in Viareggio
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Just returned from 11days at this hotel,It is a beautiful resort ,everywhere beaches,streets,very clean ad well maintained , The hotel is well positioned facing the beach and was perfect base for trips to Pisa,Florence!and a Lucca ,bit disappointed not boat trips till after 21st June.,
The is very impressive from outside and as quite a lot of a History ,
We were shown to a large room with sea view, large balcony ,we thought we had got the jackpot ,until we saw the bathroom ,it was like galley on a small boat ,sitting on the toilet with knees touching wall not much fun ,the shower in the corner had curtain that did not fit ,even though we tried it was difficult to stop water from flowing out ,and the floor was wet through all the time ,
My friend used hair dryer which had broken cord it took 2 days to get !!!!fixed!!! ,after 1st use it split again,burning her hand ,so we wrap towel round to use ,should have been replaced ,
The room was kept clean and beds changed every other day but maid must have got fed up with wet towels .We were on half board and breakfast buffet very good plenty choice,as to evening meal it was average
The service was not good the waiters did their best ,but head waiter certainly did not seem to know what was going ,dirty plates left on table till next course arrived ,I do not mind waiting but not sitting looking at dirty plates,when they opened outside dining area lovely setting service not much better
The little bar was nice and good service
The Pool, Garden ,and bar area service was excellent and the life guard kept everything very tidy ,
I think the management need to take a look at updating bathrooms,and dining service ,
On the whole we had lovely holiday and made the best of minor problems more to say but running out of alloyed time

Room Tip: Ask for sea view with reasonable size bathroom
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank HOLLYBOB
Marino_Patruno, Direttore generale at Grand Hotel Royal, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear Guest,
thank you very much for your kind feedback.
Please accept my apologies for any inconvenient caused during your stay in reference at some dinner service,shower problem and the hairdryer.
I sincerely appreciate that this problem has not altered your opinion and overall rating of the Grand Hotel Royal.
Thank you once again and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Best regards

Write a ReviewReviews (1,308)

Reviewed 16 June 2014

After catching the bus from Pisa airport to Viareggio (they were only running on the hour it was 3 Euro 1 way) we arrived at the hotel on 24 May 2014 early our room was not ready our luggage was taken in a room whilst we waited. We had room 327 which was a corner room which had amazing views of the sea and promenade on 1 side and views of the mountains the other. There was myself, my partner and our 11 year old son. The room itself was so spacious with very high ceilings, beautiful decor. I had come to Viareggio to get married so there was a few of us in the hotel I saw our friends room which was overlooking the back garden/pool area and this room was very nice too. The pool was cold but this was no problem for my son and others who loved it. Its bigger than it looks on pictures on the website. The guy who looks after the pool does a fantastic job and was very friendly, as was all the staff we come across, reception, caretaker, bar staff, restaurant staff were so friendly. Nothing is too much trouble.
The breakfast was good, hot breakfast, cereals, yoghurts, cakes etc my son liked the chocolate milkshake available and muffins which was warm.
The prices in the hotel bar and pool bar are reasonable, the tapas around tea time are a nice touch. The food was very nice from the beach bar, pasta, toasted sandwiches chips, etc. Loungers around the pool were plentiful I never had a problem obtaining one, they are very comfortable. We had done a package where the beach was included, but my parents had not and they were to pay 15 Euro per day (a deal from the hotel) for an umbrella and 2 loungers, which in my opinion is well worth it, the beach is immaculate and was not busy at all. I can imagine in July/August this would be busy. The beach bar Annita I would also recommend for lunch/light snacks. We met some really nice people in the hotel/around the pool. My sons and others enjoyed the table tennis.
It can be noisy through the night as you are on the front of the promenade my friends had a room overlook the pool at the back of the hotel and they said they slept fine.
The week before I left I was watching the weather forecasts here in the UK which predicted thunder showers everyday of my stay. I am pleased to say the temperature was approx 24 each day and it only rained lightly on the morning I left. I did need a cardigan on at night, as by the sea front it was quite windy.
Behind the hotel is a pine forest which we loved, it had rides for the little ones, crazy golf and bike hire. We hired bikes a few times and explored the marina and promenade and forest areas, Everyone seems to travel around on bike, the hire was approx 4 Euro an hour. Well worth it. And if you ride through the pine forest youre in the shade, having a break from the hot sun.
My wedding planner recommended a restaurant http://www.8etti.it/ we went there in the evening I got married and then visited a couple of times more, there was around 20 of us. Everybody loved their meals, especially the mixed grill (15 Euro) and spaghetti bolognese and Carbonara.
We visited Florence (approx 1hr 50) on the train. Pisa by bus (bus stop just opposite hotel) and Lucca.
Every Thursday there is a market on the promenade just opposite the hotel its quite big starts about 10am, nice to have a browse along.

Room Tip: Views are amazing at the front, rooms a the back may be a little quieter. Room 327 is corner room.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Froomina
Marino_Patruno, Direttore generale at Grand Hotel Royal, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments and I am very pleased you had a good time during your stay with us.
We are very proud that you choose our Hotel for your wedding and congratulations from me personally and all the Royal staff!!
See you again soon
Best wishes

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Had a Ryanair flight to Pisa and caught the airport bus to The Grand Hotel which was door to door. Walking through the gates I was so excited to be back. We had a wonderful greeting at reception and our room was perfect with a sea view and balcony. I love the decor of this old building. The staff in all the departments are so well trained and obviously love working in such a beautiful building that they stay here for years. The garden and pool is the icing on the cake, it's so relaxing and well kept. Breakfast is plentiful served in the splendid dining room. We only had one evening meal which was very nice served outside as the weather was so good. Bar area is very pleasant with some luscious nibbles. Lots of walking on the beach, swimming and cycling, not bad for 60 +

Room Tip: I love the sea view and watching the world go by from the balcony
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Marino_Patruno, Direttore generale at Grand Hotel Royal, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for the superlative comments which are much appreciated and always passed on to the hard working staff. Hospitality really is a team effort .I hope you will return once again.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

This is a classic hotel, situated perfectly for day trips to the surrounding area. The Roma are nice and all those on the front have great ocean and sun set views. The breakfast buffet is excellent and you can also have dinner in their dinning room.
Very much enjoyed it

Room Tip: Try to get the front of the hotel for the ocean views
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GKNKamloopsBC
Marino_Patruno, Direttore generale at Grand Hotel Royal, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2014

Dear Guest,
I appreciate your kind feedback and was happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel. Thank you.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

We have just returned from a week at the Grand Hotel in Viareggio and found it to be excellent. The position is perfect and you get use of their private beach opposite. Buses run from outside the hotel to Pisa and Lucca and many other less well know destinations. It is all Very clean and well maintained. Our first room looked over onto a roof however at an extra 10 euros a night we moved to a side sea view with a small balcony which was excellent

Room Tip: Go for sea view or side sea view on 2nd floor or above
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lesleymary
Marino_Patruno, Direttore generale at Grand Hotel Royal, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Dear Guest,
We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel
We would like to thank you for your comments
Hope to welcome you soon at the Grand

Reviewed 6 June 2014

Standing proudly on the beachfront promenade in Viareggio, The Grand Hotel Royal has a certain historic pedigree that exudes classic Italian style complete with turrets! We found ourselves quite captivated by its charisma & elegance, with its high ceilings, beautiful chandeliers & traditional furnishings, it reflects beautifully, a glamorous era long since passed. Housekeeping standards were excellent, meals in their lovely restaurant were of a good quality & well presented.The staff were professional & friendly, especially our favourite waiter Elpidio with his welcoming smile. As a wheelchair user, I concur with a previous comment that the ramps outside should be wider & more permanent, especially the one in through the narrow exterior wooden door which was regularly being moved, requiring my Husband to re-align it in order to access the doorway! Keeping the double doors permanently open would have been most helpful. I would respectfully ask the manager to consider this point. We had the most memorable 10 day stay to celebrate our 25th Wedding Anniversary. The hotel even left a bottle of Prosecco on ice in our room with a card on return from our overnight stay in Rome. The hotel is very well located, allowing us to visit Pisa, Lucca, Florence & the exquisite Porto Fino. We would heartily recommend this charming old hotel and would most definitely return. Thanks to all. Claire and Michael Edwards, Swansea, South Wales..

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Michael and cla... e
Marino_Patruno, Direttore generale at Grand Hotel Royal, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you very much your wonderful review. We were truly touched to receive your comments and are delighted that you enjoyed spending your very special wedding anniversary at our hotel.

We can assure you that we will immediately address the issue of the wooden ramp at the entrance and sincerely thank you that this problem has not altered your opinion and overall rating of the Grand Hotel Royal.

Thank you once again and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Best regards

Reviewed 3 June 2014

This is a grand hotel, big, yet charming. Parking available. Spacious garden and pool area behind the hotel. Rooms are big. Ours had a balcony (at an extra charge of €40 per night) and seaview and was on the fourth (of five) floors. Breakfast ample. Service good. Discount on the entrance fee to the "spiaggia"/playa just across the road. We would love to come back!!

Room Tip: A room with seaview is a must (even if the Mountains you can see from the rooms facing that way are...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Marino_Patruno, Direttore generale at Grand Hotel Royal, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Dear Guest