Grand Hotel Principe di Piemonte
Great 4.5/5
  • Restaurant
Hotel Bahia(Viareggio)
1,300 results
All reviewsrooftop poolmichelin star restaurantregina restaurantmountain viewupgraded to a suitebeach clubfifth floorlovely hotelout of seasoninternet connectionscrambled eggsbottle of proseccolarge bathroomreception staffold worldfabulous holidaysea view room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 September 2013

After Being disappointed with our three previous hotels on this long trip we were not expecting much from this,a four star,hotel. All three others were five star and pretty awful.
The room was spacious and clean with a fabulous view of the beachside pool, which you're not allowed into (some pics online show this pool area) it had a good sized bathroom albeit with a shower over the bath.

The general cleanliness of the corridors/ stairs was poor.

The pool was ok if small, no staff!!! Up there.

The breakfast was awful. How any,so called, chef could get scrambled eggs to look like this I don't know.

Every day we had to ask for edible eggs. AND NOBODY ACTED ON THIS!!!!!

On the last day the egg/bacon(ugh) warming tray was not on and all was cold.

Fruit selection awful and the same cakes/pastries came out each day

Room Tip: Complain about everything you're not happy with
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank challenger317
Reviewed 23 September 2013

I stayed one night at Grand Hotel Prinsipe di Piemonte and I loved it. The hotel is beautiful and is located in the center of Viareggio with a great view of the beach.

I checked-in late and the staff were really nice. Although my room didn't have a view, it was still nicely furnished and I love the magazines they stacked there.

My favorite are the toiletries. You can tell it's not a cheap hotel from it. They have a big bottle of nice-smelling lotion and the shampoos and soap are in fabulous bottles. The bathroom is very clean and spacious which is very important to me.

The internet works great in the room. I hate when the internet doesn't work in the rooms of a hotel as I have work to do and need to get connected.

The breakfast buffet was also great and the dining area is beautiful and grand! The rooftop pool is also a great are with a fabulous view of the beach. It was not crowded when I was there so I have my own sunbed.

Great and luxurious! I would stay again.

Room Tip: Book a room with a view!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Exellent old slyle italian Grand hotel in a very nice beach town. Everything of proper level. Really Grand - high ceiling, large staircase, halls, breakfast room, etc. The breakfast has fantastic choice and quality. We had a Deluxe side sea view room - it was perfect - spaceous, beautiful, comfortable bed, sofa, built-in wardrobes (plenty), nice bathroom with a window, bathrobes and slippers. In a windy day it is better to relax near the pool on the last floor - calm and quite, nice bar. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: It is better to book in advance to have a good price.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lucyvy
Reviewed 8 September 2013

After a hard year we decided to go to "principe di piemonte" hotel. Where shall I start? The rooms are far too small and very dusty and cleaned superficially, so are the corridors, I had to point out that the floor just outside our room was dirty and only, after 2 days it got cleaned. On the second day of our stay both my child and I got bitten by bed bugs (confirmed by doctor), which ruined the entire stay. On a positive side, very good breakfast and lunch on the terrace, however dinner was normally poor quality and took over 2 1/2 hours and I am not sure how that is normally possible in Italy. I have travelled all around Italy and have never ate worse.......I wish i could show remarks and pictures from the guest book in the hotel, very dissapointing. A beautiful building in a great location but badly managed............

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
7  Thank forest g
Reviewed 26 August 2013

My wife and I along with our 10 month old son stayed at the Grand Hotel Principe di Piemonte for 3 nights recently and were less than impressed with this hotel. We paid approx Euro 500 per night for a sea facing room on their ‘Modern Floor’.

The room was small and not very nicely decorated. The lighting design in the room was quite bad (either too bright or too dark) and the room’s furnishings used a lot of Perspex which I thought looked awful – and a cheap alternative to glass I presume. The en-suite bathroom was large but had no separate shower cubicle – just a shower-in-the-bath arrangement and a single wash-hand basin.

The pool on the 5th floor is very small and the area around the pool for sun loungers is very cramped. On our first full day we ate lunch at the restaurant adjacent to the pool (‘Piccolo Principe’) and were appalled at how bad the food was. I ordered ravioli which I had expected would be freshly made in the restaurant but I’m certain it was actually out of a packet – a bit much considering it cost Euro 15. We ate out for the rest of our stay after our terrible meal at Piccolo Principe. The breakfast is quite good however.

Other gripes include no beach access – expect to pay Euro 45 per day for beach access and have to walk a distance up the street to the beach club with whom GHPdP have an affiliation with.
Also no complimentary bottled water is provided in the rooms – expect to pay Euro 4 per 500ml of Acqua Panna mineral water.

No complementary WiFi – Euro 15 per day.

Also if you arrive by car you have to pay 24/7 for parking in the square adjacent to the hotel or within the hotel’s underground car-park.

Overall the service was mediocre.

My wife and I have travelled extensively around Italy as well as other parts of Europe, the US, the Middle East, Africa and the Indian Ocean and have always stayed in either 4 star or 5 star hotels.

Our advice would be don’t stay at the GHPdP. After having stayed at the hotel we can’t think of anything that we really liked about it or that made it stand out. All that stands out for us is how it failed to meet our expectations.

We chose this hotel as we thought it was the best in Viareggio. Well if it is the best in the town then don’t bother going to Viareggio!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family