“good hotel in perfect loction”
Review of Hotel Mega Mare

Hotel Mega Mare
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Vico Equense
Reviewed 31 May 2014

If you are looking for a top notch hotel to pumper yourself - this is not the place, BUT if you are looking for a nice place as a base to explore the area, this one is perfect. We had a large room (for three).Our friends had a smaller room. The hotel looks a bit oldish, but well kept. The room and the bathroom were clean, comfortable bed. The breakfast was OK (juice, cheese, ham, croissant, fruit...). The staff very friendly. The owner, Mariano is always there and ready to help. We stayed for 5 nights with friends and covered Amalfi coast, Sorrento, Capri, Napoli... All room have large balconies overlooking the bay - fantastic view and fantastic sunset. That actually being the best part and unforgettable. And no, you can not find such a view at many hotels in the area unless you pay much more.
The hotel is easy to find and has a very convenient access with a car - believe me, not a trivial thing in the area. it has large and convenient parking. We drove to Sorrento to take a ferry to Capri and to Naples. we parked the car in a covered garage at piazza Tasso (it took us about 15 min to get there). It was rather expensive (25-27 EU per day) but very convenient. From there you take steps (5 min) to the port area. To get back - take the lift (1eu) near the beach area.
I would definitely recommend this hotel and would stay again. mind you that you need a car.

Room Tip: all rooms face the bay and have the same unobstructed view. if you want a larger room ask for a trip...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Ilyaros
Write a ReviewReviews (1,397)

Reviewed 30 May 2014

THank you, Mr. Mariano for your hospitality!
We have stayed in Mega Mare hotel in May 2014, for seven nights.
Mr. Mariano and the whole staff did everything to unswer all questions and to help with every problem.
Good breakfast, nice and clean rooms.
The parking is free. The hotel is located in a very convinient point for traveling.
Great place to stay for those who travel in the area Sorrento- Amalfi Coast.
Tova and Zvi Appleboum
Israel

2  Thank צבי א
Reviewed 18 May 2014

One way to describe this place - a complete DUMP. The reviews on here are very questionable. Based on the reviews, unfortunately I booked a week in July 2013. When I arrived I was met by Mariano. All the reviews raved about him. When I met him I immediately felt he was fake. I will review the good and bad things about this place:

The Good: 1. The view is spectacular. However this is no different than many of the hotels in the area. They are all perched on the mountains with magnificent views of the sea. 2. The staff in the breakfast area were quite attentive and made a very good cappuccino.

The Bad: 1. Given this particular region in Italy is known for fresh foods, one would expect a top notch breakfast. It was horrible. Dry and day old croissants, stale bread, UHT milk, OJ from TetraPak...not what one would expect. They should have had fresh breads and pastries, freshly squeezed OJ, fresh fruit, etc.
2. They don't serve lunch nor dinner. So you always have to take your car (forget taxis there aren't any) to restaurants. They are all at least 30 min away, if you don't get caught in traffic. Mariano recommended a few places...I think he has an agreement with these places and gets a commission from those establishments for each client he refers. Don't take his advice...we did and the places had mediocre food, poor service and were over-priced.

The UGLY: 1. The rooms are infested with ants. It was disgusting. The first morning I woke up and my bed was covered in ants. The ants were in the sheets, on the walls, in the bathroom. The balcony is also full of ants. We had to pull the beds from the wall in the hopes that there would be less ants in order to sleep at night, but that didn't help. In the end, we couldn't sleep. It was a serious problem.
2. Towels in the rooms...what towels? these are old bed linens cut up into towels. They don't dry.
3. The pool is tiny and the water is disgusting. It smells, there is a foam that forms on the top and the water appears greyish green. I could not bring myself to even put my feet in it for fear of catching some disease.
4. Location sucks. You need a car and it takes at least half hour or more to get into town. Better to stay in Sorrento...plenty of hotels there and you avoid wasting time driving to Sorrento to find a restaurant to eat.
5. The size of the rooms: TINY, even for european standards. Bathrooms are extremely small, the beds are tiny, the mattresses are still likely the original ones when they first opened up, and forget about storing your suitcases...there is no room whatsoever.

When we were checking out, Mariano wanted cash only even though I wanted to pay with my credit card. And no receipt was provided. I felt ripped off. He then asked whether I could write a review on TripAdvisor (and offered a gift). I declined the gift but said sure about writing the review...and here I am. Don't be fooled by the other reviews....the place really is no more than a 2 star motel.

Given that the summer season is approaching, I thought it would be important to share a real review about this place before you make the same mistake I made last summer. I would not return to this place, even if you paid me.

Do yourself a favour and stay at one of the many hotels in Sorrento...you won't regret it.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank JR L
Reviewed 10 May 2014

We stayed at the hotel and enjoyed PERFECT view of the sea and amazing sunsets from our room which was very romantic.
The hotel is on one of the top hills - excellent location to visit sorrento, positano and around..
Most important, it has parking.

The hotel manager was very helpful and did his best for everyone.
Good value for money
Excellent hospitality, highly recommended!!!!!!

1  Thank Moran123
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Stayed there for 7 nights on may 2014 - the hotel has great views, nice and very clean rooms, Mariano (The hotel owner) is a great hosts, very helpful and insightful.
bottom line: great value for money!

Reviewed 8 May 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights on a visit to the Napoli bay and the Amalfi coast.
The view of course is worth it all. The rooms are nice, clean and comfortable.
There is free parking. There's a decent breakfast and a small fridge in the room.
Very good value for money. Mariano and the staff are very friendly and helpful.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We could not choose a more suitable place to stay for our 6 days trip in Sorrento and Amalfi Coast.
The hotel is located in a very convenient point for travelling in all directions and has an easy and free parking. The rooms (one double and one single) are spacious and very clean, the bed is very comfortable and about the view everything was already written. WIFI is free and very strong but only in public areas.
The delicious breakfast and very good coffee were a great start of the day (just wish there were also some vegetables).
Mariano and the hotel staff do everything for the guests to feel comfortable and happy and each request is answered willingly.

Grazie Mariano. È stato fantastico