“Good food Too pricey”

Price range: US$24 - US$59
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Closed on Wednesday
Reviewed 22 June 2012

Fred Plotkin aside...Da Bado was beyond pricey..my main complaint....food well prepared and quite good..ambience tired and rough around the edges...service..local indifferent tap room style...came highly recommended but somehow given our spectacular experiences in Tuscany and Umbria I didn't have the same experience that others may have had.

1  Thank ormerusso

Reviewed 5 October 2011

Fred Plotkin makes another good recommendation (along with Rick Steves and Fodors). This trattoria, just a 10-15 minute walk from the Etruscan Museum is a great find. With three guidebooks recommending it, we were somewhat mystified as to why we had the place almost to ourselves for a late (1:45 pm) lunch. We had the zuppa Volterrana (you could eat it with a fork, delicious and hearty); assorted crostini with liver, leeks, tomato, and mushrooms; delicate tortelli with ricotta and spinach stuffing, and a delcious blue pecorino sauce; an unremarkable, plain fagioli bianchi as a contorni; risotto ai funghi (very good); and an excellent papardelle lepere (hare sauce). Good vino rosso della casa and very pleasant service. Cannot recall total cost, but prices seemed quite reasonable. Definitely a better option than the many establishments with "menus turistico."

1  Thank sagvig
Reviewed 4 January 2010

I was amazed that the place had no tourists at all! Very good food, and the service was excellent. We even asked for dishes that were not comprised in the menu and they were voluntary to prepare them for us! Not to miss it!

Reviewed 13 September 2009

I was in Volterra for over a week for a conference so I got to sample a number of restaurants there. Though I didn't have any bad meals, this was definitely the best. It is worth the effort to go outside the city walls to this near by less touristy place.

I had Zuppa Volterrana on my first visit here and it was delicious and a bit better than at the other restaurants. The second visit, I had Pappa al pomodoro and that was excellent too. This was the one place that brought out a hunk of Parmeasean cheese and a grater instead of the less flavorful pre-grated stuff. A colleague had sliced beef which was grilled and better than what he had had in Volterra even though he had liked both. The portion was also more generous.

There are a couple of small free parking lots behind the restaurant so parking is no problem. Expect Italian dining times here; they open at 7:30 PM for dinner. There is a small bar; I know they have beer, wine and grappa but it might not be a full bar. They also make very nice cappuccino.

1  Thank cloud_swift
Reviewed 6 June 2009

The little restaurant "da Badó", full of atmosphere gives you the unique chance to taste the tipical dishes of Volterra.
Mainstream tourists in search for the cheapest Pizza are definitely wrong here! "Da Badó" is the perfect place for toursist who want to that the "real" tuscany, the high rate of Volterrans eating and estimating this reasaurant prove this!
I can recommend you the unique volterran vegetable soup and the"tagliata", delicious grilled beef. Of course also the tasty pasta dishes deserve to be tried!
All in all, I can only recommend this restaurant to all Volterra Visitors who really want to visit beutiful tuscany!
Dreaming of Volterra I remain with my greetings to all who will read this
and if you get the chance to eat there I wish
BUON APPETITO!!