On a positive note, this hotel has the perfect location. It is within the walled city and sits at the very top of the hill on the square where the buses drop off and locals come to gather. It is very close to numerous restaurants and shops. The rooms in the front benefit for a spectacular view of the countryside, but the noise and music from local bars/restaurants kept friends of ours awake. We had a room on the 4th floor on the side, and it was quiet and clean. I declined a room on the second floor that spelled musty. Ours did not. Beware, many hotels in Volterra are at the bottom of a very steep hill, and you would not want to climb up and down very often. Our favorite restaurant was to the left of the hotel when you came out, at the end of the street. End of good things.
Now for the rest...The rooms and bathrooms are in serious need of upgrading and updating. Saying it was sparsely furnished would be kind. The beds (two pushed together) were covered by a dark and dingy spread. The TV was so small we didn't bother putting it on---in fact we stayed in the room as little as possible since it was so depressing. The towels were more like kitchen towels than bath towels--waffled type that were not absorbent. The shower stall itself was very small and the doors were sliding plexiglass. The breakfast was typically picked over by the time we got there, so if you want breakfast, get there right at 7:30 to be sure to get something. Maybe this is standard for 3 star hotels in Italy (we stayed at 4 star hotels in Rome), but if so, I would spend the extra money to upgrade to a 4 star. Apparently there is one around the corner. We would never stay here again.
Also, if you are coming from Rome to Volterra by public transportation, do NOT take the train to Cecina and then the bus to Volterra as was recommended to us. There was only one bus to Volterra from Cecina (CPT bus company) and by chance we only had to wait 1.5 hours for it, but at least we didn't miss it. No schedules were published anywhere, and the local tourist offices do not support this company. Instead they send you by another bus company that requires changing buses,etc. Nobody speaks much English in Cecina, which made it challenging to find out about the bus situation. The train ride from Rome itself, stopping 18 times, was scenic, albeit long. It goes along the Mediterranean. Rather, I suggest that you take a train from Rome to Florence and then either rent a car or hire a cab for 100 euro to take you to Volterra. Volterra is not easy to get to, but it is a very charming city with a strong history and a very artsy population and is a much to visit if you are in the area.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Nazionale is situated in an antique palace since 1890. Thanks to our great central position, you can visit wonderful Volterra easily on foot. We offer 38 rooms all of them with private bathroom with all necessary amenities, a telephone and a TV. . Spend an original and pleasant stay in one of our rooms. All the rooms are provided with the free Wi-Fi internet access.A lovely Restaurant can be found inside. Here, you can enjoy great Tuscan cuisine prepared with nothing but the freshest and most genuine ingredients , combined with an excellent wine selection. The restaurant is made up of an ample dining room that can host up to 110 people, making it particularly adaptable for weddings, ceremonies, official work or group dinners.If You're travelling by bike, You can store it inside the Hotel. If You're travelling by bus,We stand 50 meters in front of the main bus stop. If You arrive by motorcycle, You can park in public places outside the building.To reach easly the Hotel by car, follow Viale dei Ponti untill You reach Piazza Martiri della Liberta and enter this adress in Your sat nav system. You can park Your car in the close secure public garage. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travel Republic (UK), Booking.com, Odigeo, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Albergo Nazionale reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Albergo Nazionale Volterra
- Albergo Nazionale Hotel Volterra