Hotel La Locanda
Ranked #4 of 25 Hotels in Volterra
Reviewed 21 May 2013

La Locanda is more of a B&B than a hotel - but that's an okay thing. Location is very convenient. Room was comfortable. Breakfast room was quite small and service a bit lacking.
Overall I was glad I choose to stay here and would stay again if I return to Voltera.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Don L
LocandaVolterra, Receptionist at Hotel La Locanda, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2013

Dear Don L,
Thank you for taking us some of your time! I am sorry that if have found our service a bit lacking, we do our best to satisfy our guests, day by day.

I rally hope to see you here soon!

Kind Regards.

Reviewed 23 April 2013

Two of us had a very nice stay at La Locanda. Be warned that you will have to trek a ways with your luggage as the parking in Volterra is outide of town. However, it is really nice to be at the center of everything.
As others have said, the WIFI is often down if you care about that. We did not. The breakfast was fine for the very good price and the rooms and showers were very clean, roomy and nice.
Most of all, the front-desk staff could not have been more charming or hospitable. She was very good at giving us pointers about the town and restaurants.
I would go back for sure.

Room Tip: Prepare to walk a ways with luggage.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank SerFromItaly

Dear SerFromItaly,
Thank you for your review! It is our pleasure to inform you and the other guests that we have improved WI FI signal and now it works in every room.
I really hope to accommodate you very soon.
Kind Regards.

Reviewed 9 January 2013

My fiancé and I needed a last minute hotel in Volterra, so we read some reviews on trip advisor and called around. Unfortunately we decided on La Locanda. They claim to be 4 stars, but that couldn't be farther from the truth. The hotel is VERY dated and things you would expect in a 4 star hotel were absent. There were 2 very flat pillows for our double bed, and when we asked for an other, it took over 25 minutes for it to be brought up to us. The massaging shower was very complicated, and as it turns out, the shower head did not work (It looked like it had been repaired, but failed, and there was a BANDAID stuck on it!) There were no slippers in the room, the mini fridge was empty, and the wifi did not work. If this was a 2 star hotel, I would not have complained, but I paid 93 euros and it was not worth it. We waited over 15 minutes for the receptionist to get our passports back after checking in, and it turns out that she was in the dining room eating, with no one at the front desk. the The breakfast in the morning was pathetic, with very little selection. The staff was pleasant, and recommended a restaurant for dinner. If you want to waste your money, this hotel is fine, but other wise, you could spend half the amount at a lower star hotel and have the same experience, if not better.

Room Tip: Do not stay here!
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Marryn M
LocandaVolterra, Receptionist at Hotel La Locanda, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2013

Dear Marryn M,
I am very sorry that you did not like ANYTHING of our Hotel, but I would like to speak about your experience from my point of view.
Let’s speak about the room: you paid for a standard one but you had a superior one, so you had a free upgrade ( 119€ for a superior vs. 93€ you actually paid)
The minibar could have not been empty, as I checked personally before you called ( You called around 7.15pm and arrived before 8pm)
It’s not true you had to wait 15 minutes before giving your passports back, because I took your data immediately and gave your passports back when you came down after checking in. Again, it’s not true that I was eating ,because the staff usually eats in the room behind the reception desk. The truth is that you checked in and I took your passports, and when you came downstairs I gave you your passports back. Clear as a glass.
Again, it is not true you had to wait 25 minutes for the pillows. Your fiancé asked me the pillows, and I bring them upstairs for you in 10 minutes. You know why I can tell? Because my shift ends at 11.00pm, and I remember very well what I did before the end of my shift.
I am very sorry you did not enjoy your staying but, as you may understand, I am not able to fix things happened in the past. And again, my shift ended at 11pm, so you had all the time to tell me you were not happy about some stuff. In that case, I could have had the possibility to change your room and fix all the stuff you didn’t like.

Last (but not least…) we are a 4 stars Hotel because we fit all the conditions to keep being that. You can decide to spend your money in a 3 star hotel (or even in a 2 stars…) , but please, consider that you won’t have any lift, hydro shower, minibar, or safe.
I really hope to see you again in the future.
With kind regards.

Reviewed 15 October 2012

This was our first hotel on our trip to Tuscany. Very convenient location, close to centre and inside the city walls. Room was good size , well equipped with everything. Just wish it had 1 English tv station but so what I can learn Italian. Quiet location, clean and breakfast was good. Has a lift, very important for those cases. Really nice staff.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gimamo
LocandaVolterra, Receptionist at Hotel La Locanda, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2012

Dear Devina,
Thank you very much for your nice review. We are proud to have been the first Hotel of your trip in Tuscany! We are sure that you will love it, and we hope that you will come back to Volterra soon!!!

Reviewed 23 August 2012

I love Tuscany but would go again later in the year rather than peak season! When I first visited Volterra it was November and a sleepy little town which I fell in love with, this time it was hustle bustle of peak season so a lot different! It was still pleasant and made accessible to other towns to visit. As for Hotel La Locanda the staff are friendly and the hotel is perfectly located within walking distance to free parking. The room we stayed in was much grander than those elsewhere, was clean and we chose it for the whirlpool bath which made for a pleasant soak. Only downside to this hotel was our towel rail did not work and that due to the busy season the road could be a tad noisy. Also the hotel could not provide an iron and ironing board so we had to purchase a travel iron in the town which was a bit of a let down. On a whole I would visit again because I love the location and would stay here again because the staff and room are wonderful. I would recommend learning some key phrases whilst visiting Volterra because a lot of the locals do not speak very fluent English however that said I personally try to learn a few key phrases anywhere to show 'willing'!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank GigglingGirl
LocandaVolterra, Receptionist at Hotel La Locanda, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2012

Dear GigglingGirl,
Thank you for your review! We are looking forward to seeing you and your family on the third time!

Reviewed 19 July 2012

Stayed here for three nights during a recent break to see Andrea Bocelli in Lajatico. La Locanda is cosy, nothing overly fancy, but had a great large shower and bathroom area, wifi isn't powerful so do your research before you go, staff did all they could to help, even preparing a picnic breakfast as we were leaving at 5am on our last day. Room was spotless and towels changed each day, breakfast a good choice of cereals, teas, coffees etc, boiled eggs, fruit, plenty for anybody. its in a perfect spot just inside the city walls, no parking at the premises itself, there is a pay and display just about 2 mins away, costing 18euros a day, and another free car park, about 5 mins walk. Volterra is a beautiful area to discover, and although there were plenty of tourists there during our time, i felt totally safe going around sightseeing and browsing alone whilst hubby rested from the sun, many locals speak some English, which helps those who haven't got their phrase book. the restaurant linked to hotel locanda in the main square filled a stop gap on our first night, but there are many other wonderful eateries. Off the beaten track, about an hours car drive from Pisa on a direct, but very windy, road. Hotel is worth a return visit.

Room Tip: We got room 306, on the top floor and lovely and quiet with great views of the stretching distance a...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ellie64

Dear ellie64,
Thank you for your detailed review! We are waiting for you again, maybe for Andrea Bocelli's next year exihibition?!

Reviewed 19 July 2012

I rather liked this old hotel. Our room was HUGE but had multiple steps which is a bit dangerous in the middle of the night. I did not care about the wi-fi (many folks spent a great deal of time frustrated by this, which made me happy we decided to completely "unplug" and actually experience a vacation!). The lobby was sort of small but we didn't really spend much time there. The breakfast was pretty awful. Prepackaged cookie-type things, no fruit or cereal to speak of, the rolls were only sweets and a bit stale. Coffee was fair. We made up for it by having some wonderful meals in town. This hotel IS very quiet...if you have trouble sleeping, this is a good spot. It's right in town, yet off down a narrow street away from the hubbub at night. Front desk staff was very nice.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple