“Generally a good place”

Ranked #8 of 24 Hotels in Volterra
Tokorozawa, Japan
“Generally a good place”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Located about a 10 minute walk below the Volterra town walls, it is located in a 19th century Italian villa. Our room was nice enough for 3 people. The owner is welcoming though I had to rely on my memory of high-school Spanish to communicate with him in Italian (sic) - he does not speak any English.

My only complaint is that given the staffs' lack of English and the frequency of English speaking guests since they are being featured on English web-sites such as this one, they could resolve misunderstandings (which we had a few) with a simple one pager of basic facts about the hotel such as what time is breakfast.

Other than that, we enjoyed the stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Florence, Italy
Reviewed 30 April 2014

My wife were really looking forward to staying in Volterra and this hotel based on all of the good reviews and with close it was the city center. We arrived around 5pm to drop off our stuff and get ready to head out for dinner. Upon arriving, we were greeted by an older gentleman who was very nice and accommodating. We left around 8pm for dinner and returned shortly after 11pm. This is where things took a very quick turn for the worst. As soon as we walked in the room, we noticed countless spiders (a bit smaller than a dime) on the wall nearest to the bathroom. I quickly grabbed a wet towel to start killing them all quickly as I could. the were coming out from behind the picture frame, up on the ceiling and I couldn't kill them fast enough. My wife stopped counting how many I killed when she got to 30! This isn't our first time staying in the countryside so insects and spiders are expected here and there, but this was by far the worst we'd ever experienced. As annoyed as we were, we were going to stick it out and just wake up as early as we could. That's when we lifted the sheets to get into bed when we saw 5 of the same type of spiders crawling UNDER the covers. At point, we packed our stuff to leave. Unfortunately, we were so caught up in the moment and really frustrated that we didn't take any photos. Luckily, we live in Florence so we just drove home. However, this was the night before Easter so I can only imagine what an out of town tourist would have done at 12 midnight in the middle of nowhere. When we got down to the lobby area, we tried ringing the buzzer to inform someone of the issue but nobody ever came down, so we just left. The next morning, I emailed the hotel to let them know of the issue and that we tried to reach them before leaving but had no luck. I informed them of the problem and told them I didn't think it would be fair to charge us. This is where Antonella became extremely rude. She told me that this was no excuse to not pay the bill and threatened to call the police since she had a copy of my passport. After explaining to here agin that spiders were IN THE BED, she proceeded to tell me that I should have seen them! I'm sorry but when I pay for a nice hotel room, I don't go in there expecting spiders and feel the need to tear them room apart to check for them. Had I seen them when we first checked in, I would've said something. I highly doubt this happens frequently or I'm sure other people would have left reviews stating so but the lack of customer service and extreme rudeness by Antonella was completely uncalled for.

I called Booking.com to explain the situation to them and before I could finish, they were telling me that they agreed with me and would've done the same thing. They called Antonella as well to explain to her that I shouldn't be charged and she refused to listen.

I highly suggest 2 things if you plan on staying here. Take Antonella's advice and check for spiders/insects before you unpack and ask to deal with someone other than her. Attached is our email correspondence so you can see judge for yourself.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Jdmspoonctr
Vancouver
Reviewed 2 October 2013

We only spent one night here, but thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The property is amazing, all the original touches give it character missing in new builds. The hostess was very friendly on arrival and gave us some information about the city, she told us about the house and how it had been in the family for many years. We enjoyed the breakfast and service and would return again, as the location can't be beat for a Volterra visit.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank freddyVancouver
Bournemouth
Reviewed 30 September 2013

We booked this hotel, just outside the city walls as the ones inside were all booked. We were so lucky! This is the friendliest hotel in Volterra and the owners were so helpful. They started breakfast early just for us as we had an early appointment. The hotel has a small parking area and they organised all the guests so we could leave early. The best hotel in Volterra.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank cencible
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I stayed here for one night in September 2013. My jaw dropped when I saw they view from our room (41). AMAZING. The hotel itself is super quiet and quaint-- I loved the decor and the period features. I found the bed comfortable (no complaints here about the mattress!). Shower was nice-- lots of hot water. Breakfast was tasty, too, though I wasn't a big fan of the giant coffees (unlike other reviewers). The walk up the hill is really short-- like 5 minutes and it isn't steep (there are stairs though into town). Despite it being close to the road it was super quiet. It was really, really lovely. Couldn't get the wifi working but we found free wifi at the gelato/coffee bar up the main street (you can access it from the street too).

Room Tip: Room 41 was at the back on the 2nd floor and had a nice view.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Laura_Alison9
Dragoer, Denmark
Reviewed 22 June 2013

We stayed for two nights in this lovely hotel. It is very close to the center, and have very few rooms. The breakfast was very good, and they serve very large cups of coffee. The host couples are very friendly and helpfull. THe rooms are small but clean and cosy, and have very nice bathrooms.
We would stay here again...

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank michella79
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 10 June 2013

The hotel is a classical sort of place to stay with antique furnishings. There is some car parking at the hotel (within the hotel grounds) and other spaces nearby. The room we had was pleasant and moderately clean although the bathroom could have had slightly more cleaning effort. The bed was reasonably comfortable although not up to the normally excellent Italian standards.
It was an ideal base to explore Volterra being only five minutes walk from the Porta all'Arco Etruscan gate to Volterra. Be careful crossing the road from the hotel as it can be quite busy.
The proprietor was very friendly and helpful and offered a very good breakfast.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family