“Chef Anthony Byrd is in my view 'One to Watch!'”
Review of Borgo Pignano

Borgo Pignano
Ranked #38 of 91 Restaurants in Volterra
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: View
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Reservation Only.
Reviewed 6 May 2014

The Villa Pignano Restaurant is part of Borgo Pignano (See separate Hotel Review) which is approached through a medieval arch. It is one of the most romantic restaurant settings I have ever been to.
Dinner at the Villa Pignano Restaurant is in itself an event consisting of a four course meal from a menu that changes daily. You can of course settle for three courses if you really want to!!
The food is all of an extremely high quality and really could not be fresher. Much of it is sourced from the Estate and its gardens.
The Villa’s Chef, Anthony Byrd, is highly creative and works hard to invent combinations of ingredients and flavours that never fail to surprise and delight.
Villa Pigano are very fortunate that Anthony, an American of Italian descent, has decided to return to his roots to delight Tuscans and visitors alike with his culinary skills.
Anthony is, in my view, a Chef to watch and ought to write and publish some, if not all, of the dishes that he is so good at creating.
If you need any help with the choice of wine for dinner, the Restaurant Manager, Gabriele, is on hand to make suggestions which invariably match to perfection the food being provided.
If you ever find yourself in the Volterra region of Tuscany, the Restaurant at the Villa Pignano really is a must. If you don’t pay them a visit you will never know the delights that you are missing. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

2  Thank JohnC2BR

Reviewed 28 April 2014

I stayed at Borgo Pignano for a week while completing a Tuscan-style cooking course with their General Manager, Pushpa. The course was fantastic and I made many life-long friends with both guests and staff, who I will hold dear for the remainder of my life. On the last night of my stay at Borgo Pignano, I was fortunate enough to dine at their restaurant 'Villa Pignano Ristarante'. Upon arrival, I was greeted by a well mannered host who greeted myself and my guests warmly. The set menu is changed every day based upon what local, organic produce is available and what Pignano themselves, grow. A welcomed change to the frozen and reheated dishes I've come accustomed to in most tourist areas. The bread was made with their own ancient grains which are grown and processed on the property. This I know because I took many tours of Pignano during my stay. I was very impressed to find that they make their own breads, olive oil, honey and dependent on the season, wine! If I had to choose a favourite course it would be the Baranzino (Fresh Tuscan sea bass) It was evident that modern cooking techniques were utilised and I loved the orange flavoured foam. Easily one of my favourite restaurants in Italy!

1  Thank Genevieve R
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

What a great experience! We just came to Pignano for one night and ate in the restaurant. The chef prepares a set four course tasting menu... Which changes daily! How awesome!
It started with fresh baked breads made from their own grains, and we had delicious organic wines recommended to be pair with our meal!
My favorite course was definitely the fresh gnocchi with saffron, crispy egg yolk from their farm and creamy on the inside, and also came with their own asparagus. Such a treat to see so much coming from their farm and so fresh!
The chocolate budino was one of the best desserts I've had in a long time! I wish we could have are there again with the new menu the next night!

Reviewed 12 April 2014

It's hard to put on words what Pignano means to us. Since our first stay in Aug 2013 my family and I feel there is not another place in the world just like this! Magical, stunningly beautiful, amazing organic local food, attention to detail. Staff not only are knowledgeable ( but never pretentious) and passionate about what they do, but also make you feel at home, almost like belonging to this big Pignano family! For us it's like paradise on Earth, somewhere my batteries really get recharged from life stress. Just returned from my third stay in 10 months, can't wait to go back!

Reviewed 28 March 2014

We stayed at the villa for my fathers 60th birthday...what a magical time. The chefs delighted us with traditional Tuscan fare (wild boar, homemade and handmade pasta, salads, and risotto dishes--even the vegetarians tried the boar it was that good) and then on the day of the birthday, they went above and beyond to make the day special for my dad--preparing American Italian food (The proprietor had never had chicken parmigiana, and Italian Wedding Soup but they were all for our requests). They even special made my dad a Cassada Cake which I heard took them ALL DAY! What a perfect evening/weekend of incredible hospitality, amazing food, and knowledgeable and kind hosts. We got to even help the chefs with their olive crop one night. Very welcoming!

The party we were with (there were 20 of us) enjoyed the lounge areas, the bedrooms (which are all completely adorable and cozy), the spectacular scenery, and all of these features are historical and well preserved. We even got to go on a tour of the grounds, where they farm their own fruits, vegetables, and I believe meats. They make their own soaps, and honey. This place is truly amazing. I think the next person to get married in my family is considering this as the perfect venue.