“Pure excellence”

Good for: View
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Reservation Only.
Reviewed 1 June 2014

When I arrived at Villa Pignano I was immediately impressed with the quality of service and knowledge of the staff. The execution of the dishes was pure harmony and passion. Chef Anthony Burd is a culinary mastermind, going as far as to know and name the varietal of vegetables that is on the menu for that evening. With simple ingredients and pure talent his kitchen will wow event the most savvy guest. A seemingly simple asparagus salad was transformed into a culinary work of art with all ingredients from there own farm and wildflowers that were pick just before diners arrived. The spinach and ricotta gnudi was out of this world with duck confit and Pignano fava bean that were cooked to perfection. Lamb with fennel mousse and poached apple, with a playful flax seed cracker. The lamb was cooked to perfection and melted in your mouth. Not enough can be said about this quality of excellence in both service and hospitality. I would like to thank Anthony for truly surpassing our expectation.

1  Thank Zach W

Reviewed 12 May 2014

The Pignano restaurant made for a wonderful dining experience. Head chef Anthony was a wonderful cook and host. The food was fresh, organic and best of made from their very own produce! It's quite an authentic experience- thank you for the fabulous dining experience.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

The Villa Pignano Restaurant is part of Borgo Pignano (See separate Hotel Review) which is approached through a medieval arch. It is one of the most romantic restaurant settings I have ever been to.
Dinner at the Villa Pignano Restaurant is in itself an event consisting of a four course meal from a menu that changes daily. You can of course settle for three courses if you really want to!!
The food is all of an extremely high quality and really could not be fresher. Much of it is sourced from the Estate and its gardens.
The Villa’s Chef, Anthony Byrd, is highly creative and works hard to invent combinations of ingredients and flavours that never fail to surprise and delight.
Villa Pigano are very fortunate that Anthony, an American of Italian descent, has decided to return to his roots to delight Tuscans and visitors alike with his culinary skills.
Anthony is, in my view, a Chef to watch and ought to write and publish some, if not all, of the dishes that he is so good at creating.
If you need any help with the choice of wine for dinner, the Restaurant Manager, Gabriele, is on hand to make suggestions which invariably match to perfection the food being provided.
If you ever find yourself in the Volterra region of Tuscany, the Restaurant at the Villa Pignano really is a must. If you don’t pay them a visit you will never know the delights that you are missing. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

2  Thank JohnC2BR
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I stayed at Borgo Pignano for a week while completing a Tuscan-style cooking course with their General Manager, Pushpa. The course was fantastic and I made many life-long friends with both guests and staff, who I will hold dear for the remainder of my life. On the last night of my stay at Borgo Pignano, I was fortunate enough to dine at their restaurant 'Villa Pignano Ristarante'. Upon arrival, I was greeted by a well mannered host who greeted myself and my guests warmly. The set menu is changed every day based upon what local, organic produce is available and what Pignano themselves, grow. A welcomed change to the frozen and reheated dishes I've come accustomed to in most tourist areas. The bread was made with their own ancient grains which are grown and processed on the property. This I know because I took many tours of Pignano during my stay. I was very impressed to find that they make their own breads, olive oil, honey and dependent on the season, wine! If I had to choose a favourite course it would be the Baranzino (Fresh Tuscan sea bass) It was evident that modern cooking techniques were utilised and I loved the orange flavoured foam. Easily one of my favourite restaurants in Italy!

1  Thank Genevieve R
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

What a great experience! We just came to Pignano for one night and ate in the restaurant. The chef prepares a set four course tasting menu... Which changes daily! How awesome!
It started with fresh baked breads made from their own grains, and we had delicious organic wines recommended to be pair with our meal!
My favorite course was definitely the fresh gnocchi with saffron, crispy egg yolk from their farm and creamy on the inside, and also came with their own asparagus. Such a treat to see so much coming from their farm and so fresh!
The chocolate budino was one of the best desserts I've had in a long time! I wish we could have are there again with the new menu the next night!