As a teenager on holiday with parents, this holiday was a trip of a lifetime and this hotel was ideal for me. It's nothing overly fancy but it's a great hotel because it covers everything you need for accommodation without distracting you from the beautiful culture and interesting, bustling town. Inside the room it was incredibly clean and tidy as the rooms get cleaned every day. The beds were comfortable and there was a good amount of room to store things. The bathroom was perfectly fine, and even came with complimentary shower gel and soap and mini samples of other essential items such as sun screen and some sort of scrub. The air conditioning system was invaluable as we weren't used to such high temperatures!
We didn't pay extra for the rooms with the view of the town as we were in the town so much, we didn't really feel the need for it. Also there is a lovely, large balcony at the front of the hotel with views of the town and the marina and the lake to the far right which was excellent for taking pictures and relaxing on the sun loungers or at the tables.
The breakfast in the morning was one of the highlights of my stay; cakes, croissants, fresh juice, meats, breads, fruits, cereals, cheeses, jams and nutella etc, and one of the very friendly staff came over and asked if we wanted any hot drinks like tea or coffee - which was such a nice touch. All of the staff were very lovely and attentive and would try to help with any questions or problems we had.
The location was excellent, we didn't really hear any noise from other guests, but as we were in the centre of a bustling town, if we left our windows open there was a fair amount of noise from the streets.
The hotel itself doesn't do food but there are many excellent restaurants very close and around the town. If you want superb ice cream for 1€ a ball - 'Tourists' is the best place to go.
There is a train station in Desenzano, which is quite a walk from the centre of town, but there are regular trains to Verona, Venice, Milan etc, which is great if you want a fairly inexpensive day trip.
All in all, the hotel and the town were an excellent place to stay with many things to do! I would definitely return there another year
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The ownership and the management of the Hotel Piroscafo by the Segattini family originates at the early part of the last century. At that time transport on the lake was by sailboats which could enter into the harbour. Travellers found accommodation and food in the hostelry known as Locanda Stella. The final renovation of the building was carried out at the start of the 1980's and the business took on the present characteristics, that of an hotel in a central location with a view of the quaint old harbour. It is of particular delight to those visitors who wish to stay in the traditional centre of Desenzano, taking advantage of the comforts that only the centre can offer: proximity to shops, restaurants and bars, the port and the other amenities of a typical small lakeside town. From the terrace on the first floor one has a privileged view of the main square of the town and guests may relax or sun bathe there, taking advantage of the bar service or the shows and concerts organised by the town council in the evenings during summer. The Hotel is equipped with a lift that serves nearly all rooms: only a few rooms need to be accessed by the stairs.The rooms are soberly furnished with modern and linear furnishings, equipped with colour SAT TV, direct telephone line, safe, air conditioning and internet Wi-Fi connection. All rooms are equipped with private bathroom, with shower or bath tube and hairdryer. Some have a small exclusive balcony with view on the harbour or direct access to the communal terrace situated on the first floor, and they could be booked on request. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Hotel Piroscafo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Piroscafo Hotel Desenzano Del Garda
- Hotel Piroscafo Desenzano Del Garda, Lake Garda, Italy