“Should be a 2 star” 2 of 5 bubbles

Astoria
Budleigh Salterton, United Kingdom
“Should be a 2 star”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2012

We arrived at this hotel in the afternoon and had a very friendly greeting from Ada the manageress. I am sorry to say that this hotel was very disappointing and is very shabby. if rated as a two star then it would let others know what to expect. Location was excellent but amenities where poor.

Room Tip: We where offered an alternative room but the standard remained the same but larger room. The bathroo...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2012

We arrived in the afternoon and were warming greeted by stefanie. Very chatty and friendly lady. We were given tips about getting around and given maps for Desenzano.

The rooms are ok. I was not too pleased about not having a kettle and cups in the room because I love my tea! Soon forgot about it because my exploration of Lake Garda meant that I was only in the room to sleep and not much else.

Breakfast was perfect! They are every attentive and with a selection to please even the fussiest of eaters(I was travelling with one). With a terrace on the roof top if you want to enjoy the lake views while enoying a drink or two...what more can one ask for?!

Any questions please contact me via: http://itsallbee.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/big-blue-my-mini-guide-to-lake-garda.html

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2012

We arrived by chance at this hotel and had no reservation on our way to Venice airport.
Since we agreed to stay 2 nights, we were given a nice top floor room adjacent to terrace. and were quoted 80 euro.
Room was pleasant and terrace quite relaxing. Hotel located quite close to everything .
When time came to take leave of our hosts who had been rather nice until then, we were given a bill for 172 euro instead of 160 euro because we paid by credit card.
We live ouside of Europe and had no euro left at the end of our trip.
No mention had been made of this when we agreed to take the room for 2 days and the 2 owners became very loud and angry, even threatening, with us when we told them we were in total disagreement with the price and that they had not
Surprised Guests were having breakfast in the room behind us,.
Obviously, they wanted to make money under the table and not declare this income to the state since we live out of Europe. We payed the amount they asked for and left , a bit shocked, but be sure to go find a Guardia di Finanza (itax inspectors easily found all over) if such a problem arises with you . I intend to them to inform them by mail.

Room Tip: Last floor best because of terrace
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Limerick, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

We are a group of five pals that travelled to the Astoria Hotel last week. It was a really lovely hotel, the owners were extremely helpful and really couldn't do enough for us. I am a Coeliac and they provided me with my own toaster and even cooked me a cake. Would highly recommend this hotel, it was spotless and very near the town. The rooms were cleaned daily and fresh towels were provided daily also.The train station is also nearby so it was very handy to travel to Verona or Milan or Venice. Will definitely go back.

Room Tip: We had two rooms, one double and one triple and both were lovely and airy.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank CarBrad1965
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

This place is a great option for all those travelling on a budget and it's literally 2 minutes away from the town centre! We paid 36 euros per person per night.The welcoming at the hotel was really warm, as the lady at the reception gave us useful information about the area and a map explaining how to get around.
We were given a large, quiet room with an extra bed. The bathroom facilities were modern and the room was spotlessly clean.
All members of staff were very helpful, especially Gisberto (who I had booked the room with), who was very friendly and informative. He was very nice offering to help us before we even got there regarding train times, buses, etc.
The breakfast was amazing too, it catered for all tastes. Everything was fresh and refilled when it had started running low.
Highly recommended hotel with a warm family environment and amazing staff! Travelled as a couple, stayed there March 2012.

Room Tip: We had room 206, very quiet!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Fluffehead
Haifa, Israel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2011

Me and my wife stayed in Astoria for 8 days during our fall vacation. Our overall impression is mixed, so I'll stick to the list of the things we liked and did not.

Pros:
The hotel is well situated - 2 minutes walking from the lake itself and extra 10 minutes to the ferry stop. Good access to Milano-Venice highway.
It has a big enough parking lot - it always had space for our car.
The stuff (the owners) are very friendly and sincerely caring, speak good english. They were extremely nice to give us two free GardaLand tickets.
The room had free Wi-Fi (very convinient for those who not yet switched to 3G+WiFi tethering).
The room had 20' LCD with RGB connector, so we projected movies from our netbook.
The top floor has an open terrace with a view to the lake and tables to sit around.
The breakfast was very tasty.

Cons:
The elevator was broken for two days. The stuff was quite upset by this and apologized all the time. They even gave us a teapot with tea for free. The day after the elevator was fixed, evening tea costed us 2 euro.
The shampoo and the soap were the worst I ever saw in hotels - had to buy our own.
The furniture was primitive and outdated.
AC was old and noisy, however cooled well.
The door wasn't soundproof at all, and we were disturbed by other guests going through the hall.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DimaDD
Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2011

I spent four nights at the Astoria last week and it was truly delightful! I walked from the station with one bag on good wheels...all downhill and it took me about 20 mins. (I did take a taxi back to the station uphill!)

The owner, Gisberto, and his family were as helpful as anyone could be. At check in, I was provided timetables for the lake boats and a map of the lake with the most desirable cities circled as he told me about each one. The room was not modern, but spotlessly clean! But the bathroom was very modern. Breakfast was very nice...much better than average. A good selection and very fresh.

I had no problem with noise, but I always have earplugs with me when I travel!

I can't say enough about the staff. Every day they patiently spoke to me in Italian when I am sure English would have been easier for them. They became my Italian teachers during my stay.

This hotel was very good value for the money. It's location for exploring this magnificent lake was perfect. I definitely recommend it.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo