“I enjoyed my stay here!”
Review of Enrichetta Hotel

Enrichetta Hotel
Godalming, England, United Kingdom
“I enjoyed my stay here!”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We found the hotel a little tricky to find as it turns out it is located in a pedestrian area but, then again, it is an old building in a pretty, historic town. The chap on the reception couldn't have been more courteous or helpful. He directed us to the modern parking facilities and arranged for an electric buggy to pick us (and our rather bulky luggage) up from the parking area which is a five minute walk up the road. After strolling around the town for a while we quickly surmised that the Enrichetta Hotel had one of the better menus and so elected to eat at the hotel on the terrace. They have a good menu to choose from and our dining experience was only a little blighted by the two television screens showing the World Cup (i'm not a fan but I think it was a good idea of the hotel's to put it on for their patrons). My travelling companion and I were lucky with the rooms as we were allocated the rooms in the old part of the building which were huge and very comfortable. I do stress that we were lucky as having seen the other rooms when walking past they were much smaller but still clean and comfortable. Breakfast was well catered for with a good variety of choice. My only gripe (and it's not much of a one) is that they did have warm, smoked ham masquerading as bacon! Overall, I'd say that the hotel is well appointed (a three minute walk to the lake), the staff are very efficient and helpful and I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone!

Room Tip: We had rooms 216 and 218 - they are the biggest hotel rooms I've ever stayed in!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Hebrew first
Israel
Reviewed 20 August 2013

Albergo Enrichetta could have been the ultimate 3 star hotel you could hope for. It is very well located in Desenzano - pretty close to the intersection that takes you to Sermione on the one hand and close enough to the Autostrada on the other. There is almost always parking in the basement and if not, opposite the hotel in a free parking lot, which is by no means trivial. Breakfast, though rather basic, is well presented and always offers a variety of fresh fruit (personally we missed some raw vegetables) the room is kind smallish (we were 2 but had to bear a 3rd bed in our room), however it was clean and pretty ventilated and the A/C functioned in a satisfactory way. Unfortunately the man at the desk who was very cooperative the first two days lost his courteous manner as the days went by. He might have expected a tip and once he was not offered (impatience never pays) he simply became indifferent. The last day we encountered problems with our mobile on which we depended for GPS. Again, the receptionist was completely unfriendly. Since we were leaving that morning he only stressed out the fact that we had to be out of the room by 11:00 (this took us by surprise because we were under the impression that checkout was by midday). Notifying people about it well in advance is recommended! We had to make 2 local calls (previously we needed to do that and were offered to do it free of charge in a hotel we were not staying in) of course here we were charged or to be more accurate overcharged. When we wanted to have the password for the Wifi we had to pay 3.5 Euros. An outrages sum these days when most places offer free Wifi. All and all, an average experience in a place that could easily have had 5 stars from us. It is all about service!!! The hotel staff and owners should bear this in mind.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
US
Reviewed 12 August 2013 via mobile

The hotel staff was very nice and always courteous - except for the one time when temperature inside the hotel was over 30 degrees and my family and I were told eating breakfast outside was not allowed (for reasons which no one could explain). The breakfasts were very very basic, but always had a nice arrangement of fresh fruit. The rooms were in varying degrees of renovation - which is something to be careful when booking. The pictures online are not comply accurate of the accommodation. I booked a three bed for myself and kids based on pictures. When I arrived they assigned me a very tired tiny room with three beds crammed into a space suitable for one (and which the WC smelled horrible). When I explained this was not what I'd booked - they showed me to a seemingly renovated "Jr Suite" (which was the room I'd booked online) and told me it was an upgrade. After a 2 minute discussion they agreed to give me the "Jr Suite"(which incidentally was a normal sized room by any western standard) for the same price.

All-in-all it was an ok experience although I will likely will not return due to the extremely poor conditions of the beach and to the minimal swimming facility at the hotel (another slightly misleading fact online). I get the feeling the hotel and We were a family of 6 with three rooms and just finished a 10 day stay at Hotel Enrichetta beginning 1 Aug. Some points were good, some not-so. Firstly, my family and I took the hotel because of the location at Lake Garda. Desenzano boasts to have one of the nicest beaches on the lake (which is directly across from the hotel) - which is simply NOT true (or at-least not anymore). The beach sand has been replaced by huge foot-cutting rocks and was completely filthy (which incidentally shocks me considering each guest in Desenzano must pay an extra 80¢ per night city tax). Additionally, I was one of several tourists in the area who got a severe ear infection from the water (told to me by the local pharmacist).

Couple other strange "gotchas": a) the room air conditioning is controlled from the front desk (very strange) and b) the "unlimited" wifi blocks downloads after a low GB...very strange again and difficult for me as I travel with my AppleTV for my kids.

All-in-all it was an ok experience although I will likely will not return due to the extremely poor conditions of the beach and to the minimal swimming facility at the hotel (another slightly misleading fact online). I get the feeling the hotel was once much nicer (perhaps in the 80's) with a proper restaurant and bar which has gone away with the poor conditions of the beach. I do however believe the current management/owners do have good intentions to do more so let's see.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Peezfrog
northern NJ
Reviewed 5 November 2012

My hubby's family all live in the area, so this is a great location for us. A stroll here or there will take you to any of the wonderful destinations necessary. Deli, bar, bank; a historic church is right across the street. If you are brave enough to drive a rental, the parking lot across the street is free. Verona is a train ride away, as is Padua and Venice. And of course, Lake Garda and Sirmione are so close! The breakfast is basic, but fresh and appetizing. The owner and staff are all so helpful, with a strong grasp of English. Very helpful when asked about hours, locations, etc.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank trvlcompanion
Margate, Kent
Reviewed 28 August 2012

Cracking find at an attractive price!

We love the quieter locations, although this hotel is away from the main hussle bussle its still only a stones throw from the beach/lake and a few bars and restraunts. The bars and restraunts are full of locals not the usual tourist crowd!

Very helpful staff. Clean throughout, and lovely sun terrace with a couple of small pools on roof with A VIEW TO DIE FOR. Fully air conditioned too.

Walking distance of hussle bussge Desenzano (1/2 hr).

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Daniel H
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2012

Enrichetta hotel was included in a lastminute.com deal for us and included a transfer to the hotel. It wasn't quite in desenzano itself but it was nice to stay away from the crowds. We found a few lovely restaurants nearby and travelled to Venice by train and Verona by bus very easily (and pretty cheaply) from here. The staff were friendly and the hotel was just right for us and great price. The beaches were nice and close and we found a lot of information on where else to go at the tourist information centre in Desenzano itself.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Beth C
manchester england
Reviewed 26 June 2012

Clean tidy quiet hotel with the most friendly helpful staff possible. They speak English, German and Italian fluently. Underground car park is small but free and locked through the night. Bicycles available. Nice small sun terrace on top of hotel with 2 little jacuzzi pools. The June weather was occasionally affected by the nearby mountains but hot when the sun did shine.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family