“Irish hospitality and welcome sadly missing”

Horse & Hound Inn Hotel
Horse & Hound Inn Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ballinaboola
Wokingham, United Kingdom
“Irish hospitality and welcome sadly missing”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We recently stayed here having previously stayed a few years back. Unfortunately this time around we were met with a very surly unwelcoming receptionist who was not at all friendly.
If we hadn't been so tired after a long journey from England I would have walked out and found somewhere else to stay.
The rooms are tired and dated, Ours smelled of smoke although there was a sign inside saying non smoking room!
They used to be so good but standards have slipped tremendously. Food was mediocre and service tardy. We had often frequented the restaurant when my parents still lived in New Ross but I will not be making a return visit that's for sure. Word of advice to the management your breakfast staff who were all lovely and friendly should give your evening staff a training session on customer service. Some homecoming for me and I was quite ashamed of my home country in front of my family.

Room Tip: Choose somewhere else
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Clare J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 November 2013

had another great stay at the horse and hounds.

staff friendly and attentive as usual and this made for another relaxing stay.

food fantastic as usual.

rooms exceptionally clean.

would recommend to anybody.

look forward to another trip in January.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank colin b
Belfast
Reviewed 3 October 2013

I stayed here in September 2013 for 1 night. Cost was 60 euro B&B for single occupancy. The room was huge. There was a bit of a strange smell in the room but this went away when I opened the windows. That night I had a panini which came with salad and chips for 6 euro from memory. Great value. Breakfast next morning was great. Cooked fresh and to order.
Hotel does exactly what it says on the tin- no more and no less

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
HorseHound1, Front Office Manager at Horse & Hound Inn Hotel, responded to this review, 8 October 2013
Thank you for your review. Sorry to hear about the smell in the room. We will try to make sure it does not happen again. Great to hear you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again soon
Wicklow
Reviewed 25 August 2013

We had been booked into another hotel for the weekend couldn't stay t was vile so the 2nd night of our break we found this spot with in budget and at the last minute. Didn't expect too much to be honest but we were quite surprised.

The staff were very friendly, food was amazing lovely charm and character to the place. The room was very clean and fresh a little small but very adequate.

Would return again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
HorseHound1, Front Office Manager at Horse & Hound Inn Hotel, responded to this review, 27 August 2013
Thank you very much for your lovely review. Great that we could make your weekend better and hope to see you again soon
Wokingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2013

We travel to West Cork every year and need a stop over place near Rosslare. We have tried a few different places but we've decided that this is the place we'll return to every year!
We have 2 young children and our family room was spacious, clean and perfect for our one night stay.
We arrived at 6:30pm and went straight to the bar for a meal. The service was great and we enjoyed a warm welcome from the staff and locals who were also dining there.
Our breakfast was good and we left refreshed and ready for our long drive ahead.
When we returned 2 weeks later to catch the evening ferry we called in for an early dinner as we knew we'd get a family friendly reception.
All in all the 4 of us we very pleased and we will look no further for a stop over place next year.

• Stayed August 2013
So great to hear you had a lovely stay at our hotel. We hope to see you again next year
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Stayed last saturday night on a deal. it's kind of out in the middle of nowhere. A little too far from new ross to get a taxi in and out. However, it's a grand spot. Staff are lovely. Room was a good size and nice and clean and comfortable. A little dated with the old style TV but who cares. We used the place as a base and went to Hook Head one day and the kennedy arboretum the next. Both visits were excellent. Scenery around the hook lighthouse is spectacular. Really unusual rock formation.

The steak was good but as usual, i had a probelm with the cooking. We ordered a rare and a medium rare. Then the waitress arrived with what she described as a medium rare and a medium. i explained that i ordered a rare and she took it away. A minute or so later she arrived back and sait it was rare. I'm pretty sure it was the same steak. i then cut it and it was what i would describe as well done. My wife's medium rare was cooked a lot less and she was munching away happily at this stage. I asked for it to be taken back. I then ate a spud on it's own while I wait impatiently. Eventually, my steak does arrive and i start to eat just as my wife is putting down her knife and fork. It was nice but at this stage the good was gone out of it. I like my steak and find that it is almost impossible to get a chef in Ireland who can cook a steak properly. It's a shame as the meat is normally very good.

if you are on one of these offers, be aware that a steak dinner as described does not include your spuds or chips. i can't imagine a home in wexford which would have a steak dinner without one or the other so charging extra for this is a little bit mean.

One more comment. i thought there would be some small bit of entertainment on a saturday night. Not looking for U2 but a small bit of a one man band singing a few ballads would have done. Anyway, we actually retired early as a result so probably felt better the following morning. The breakfast was grand.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Navan, Ireland
Reviewed 26 June 2013

We stayed for one night on a deal that included dinner and breakfast, I am glad it was one night only as I would not stay the second night. After check in we went to the bar and I got a beer in a cracked glass, then when we went to order dinner we were told it did not include any potatoes,chips or veg and if we wanted some we would have to pay extra. There is almost no phone signal at the hotel and the wifi only works in the bar and has a very poor signal. No wifi in the rooms. The room was clean with tv and tea/cofee etc. The bed and the pillows are not the best and I didnt sleep well, I was woke early the next morning with the noise of passing trucks, the hotel is located on a main road. Breakfast could have been better, there was no brown bread to toast and I was served a burnt egg. On a positive not the women that served us dinner and breakfast were lovely..
The deal we got was cheap and I suppose you get what you pay for..

Room Tip: Ask for a room as far away from the road as possible.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 2qk4u
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballinaboola
Best Western Rosslare Danby Lodge Hotel
#3 of 5 in Wexford
Dunbrody Country House Hotel
Dunbrody Country House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Arthurstown

Been to Horse & Hound Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!