“Comfortable resort but lacking luxury factor”

Aleenta Phuket Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Khok Kloi
Reviewed 16 October 2013

We had heard a lot of good experiences and reviews of Aleenta over the years and were very much looking forward to checking it out after many years (we had stayed at Sala a few years back).

Overall, we must admit we were a bit disappointed - perhaps its because we've stayed at so many good luxury pool villa resorts over the years and so our expectations were quite high for Aleenta.

Don't get us wrong - its a very comfortable resort but for the price range, we expected a more 'luxury' factor. What you do get is a very beautiful sea view - probably the most beautiful view resort we've stayed at and that's what you pay for we feel.

The pros:

- the sea view
- the secluded quietness (perfect for honeymooners)

The cons:

- The service quality needs improving - the room service menu doesn't seem to contain all the dishes from the restaurant, and for some odd reason when you order in-room dining they don't provide a napkin or salt and pepper - very strange for a supposed luxury resort.

- The breakfast isn't a full buffet - you get served a selection of fruits and pastries on a tri-plate, but you order your other dishes. We thought for a luxury resort, most would offer fruits and pastries and basic savories as a full buffet.

- The design of the rooms and villas is also odd - the beach suites facing the beach seem to share a pool between every 2 beach suites, and the pool villas seem to also share a pool with the other villa. Its as if they wanted a luxury resort but skimmed on the details and you end up having to share a pool. But most of the rooms seem to have a sea view except the back pool villas - again you seem to pay for the view.

- We were in a 2 bedroom pool residence which again was oddly designed - the infinity pool was on the second floor but was so small that its almost a dip pool - but the pool was private and there was no sharing.
Do check with the resort on this point especially if you want privacy.

- The current restaurant is also away from the beach and the beach bar which would be perfect for a cool evening dinner by the beach does not serve breakfast or dinner (but it serves lunch only - again odd). The common pool was also quite small.

- There is some construction happening at the moment as well - it wasn't a big issue for us as we were away from the noise but it is inconvenient having to walk pass construction workers and trucks on the way to the beach or restaurant. They are constructing a new beach facing restaurant (which will serve lunch and dinner but not breakfast - odd), and a new spa.

- The existing spa was nice and the massage we got was lovely - but again the luxury factor was missing - they used fake plastic frangipani flowers for example.

- The location is also very isolated and secluded - its 1.5 hrs to Patong and there are no other restaurants or shops nearby. You end up doing everything at the resort - perhaps with the lack of competition nearby this may explain the above oddities..

Overall, its a comfortable resort but the quality service Aleenta is aiming for seems to have skipped a beat from its competitors - perhaps it was good 10 years ago, but today you can find much more luxurious pool resorts for the same price range.

Room Tip: The 1 or 2 bedroom residences guarantees your own private pool.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Sammytay
DOSM_AHMS, General Manager at Aleenta Phuket Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Greetings from Aleenta!

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor.

We have taken note of all your comments and they have been shared with the team; allow me to respond.

Our room service menu is a separate and totally different form the restaurant menu in order to offer variety to our customer. Any dish form the restaurant is in deed available in room if requested.

It is on purpose that we do not serve offer buffet breakfast as we prefer to serve our guest an a la carte option. This is very well perceived by our customers and we do not believe that buffet brings a luxury factor to any kind of meal but again this is purely a personal choice.

As far as the design of the room is concerned kindly note that we offer the option to rent the entire 3 bedroom beach front villa or simply one of the room that we call a beach front suite....allowing people on a tighter budget to still enjoy the privilege of staying in a beach front room, this option shares the pool with another beach front suite. The beach front suite are not sold as pool villa and it is very clearly mentioned on the website that the pool is shared.

We have 3 different type of Pool Residence and you stayed in a Sky unit which is a duplex unit with the master bedroom on the second floor next the the master bedroom. Those unit are extremely popular, yes the pool size is smaller but enjoy a magnificent view of the Andaman sea.

As you have mentioned we are currently renovating/upgrading some part of the resort including our beach front restaurant reason why we do not offer full service at this facility.

We are indeed located away form the crowed Phuket and that is one of the reason people decide to stay with us, to enjoy a relaxing holiday and spend time to reconnect with each other.

Thank you once again for your feedback, form what i have gathered it seems that the boutique feel did not appeal to you and you would have probably enjoy your vacation better if staying in a full integrated international branded resort. Our aim is obviously to offer an alternative to "traditional resort" and we can appreciate that it is not for everybody.

Best regards

Reviewed 8 October 2013

I chose this hotel, as I'm sure many people do, off the back of a well known luxury boutique hotel guide book. This review promised peace and tranquillity. Luckily I only had time to stay one night, because my stay was anything but peaceful

On the plus side:
- generally nice rooms, although poorly thought out (few plug sockets, poor WiFi reception, a pre-loaded iPod located as far from the seating area as possible, etc)
- convenient for Phuket airport - an easy 20 minute drive
- away from the crowds of Phuket
- good breakfast
- the sound of the crashing ocean waves (when not masked by drilling)
- well-meaning, if slightly slow and ineffectual staff

On the minus side:
- despite the resort being half empty, I was allocated a room sandwiched between construction for the pool and construction for the spa - drilling on both sides from morning to evening
- half the facilities were not operational - no gym, no bar (other than a makeshift converted bedroom, with all the ambiance of, well, a makeshift converted bedroom) - this was not mentioned anywhere when booking
- the private beach was unattended, litter-strewn, and dirtier than any beach I've seen on Phuket (guess they didn't think any guests would find the way through the construction works to the beach - it was a struggle, I admit)
- I was encouraged to try the buffet barbecue dinner; advertised till 10pm, although they had stopped cooking long before I arrived at 8:30 and no food was refilled

The day after I left, I got an email asking me to rate and comment on my stay, after which I got a standard form reply thanking me for my feedback. Nice to know that it was taken into consideration and acted on...

Anyway, I'm sure the hotel will respond to this review by saying that the facilities will be wonderful when construction is complete, but I don't feel particularly compelled to come back and find out

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank cityprofessional
DOSM_AHMS, General Manager at Aleenta Phuket Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2013

Greetings form Aleenta!

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

We have written to you privately to welcome you back in the future but please let us state from the offset that we were saddened to learn of your unsatisfactory 1 x night stay with us.

We are most delighted that we are coming to the end of the exciting improvement works at Aleenta Phuket and we are indeed sorry you were not aware of these improvement works taking place at the hotel that incorporate USD 2 million dollars of fantastic new guest facilities. All works at the hotel shall be completed by 15 November 2013 for our guests enjoyment and we shall be immensely proud of the enhanced services we can offer our guests. We sincerely hope you shall return for longer than 1 night with our compliments when you can and let me confirm we have sent you an email to welcome you back for 2 nights with our compliments. I certainly hope I can meet you personally during your visit.

We did everything we could to communicate both online and to our guests to advise them of these improvement works. I have personally been in contact with over 200 guests during their reservation stage and have tried to advise people of this. We well noted that you booked with Small Luxury Hotels of the World and we did have information on this site to advise guests as well as on our own homepage. We also have reduced our rates by over 70% during the period of improvement works. We have found that this has assisted guests understand that we do remain open for guests during this exciting period indeed.

Please let me also take this opportunity to thank you for your positive comments on your stay. We are located just 15 minutes north of Phuket airport and away from all the busy tourism areas in Phuket and our location allows us to offer a “ real Thailand” experience. We are open now 7 years of our team of 240 staff over 70 of them have been with us for 5 years or more. We only receive excellent feedback from our guests on how our local Thai team take the utmost care of our guests at all times. Again we do hope you can come back to us for longer the next time and not just 1 night so you can experience the full guest journey at Aleenta.

Please contact me personally on gm.aph@aleenta.com when you wish to return and I am most happy to assist wherever I can.

Reviewed 6 October 2013

Stayed at the Aleenta for 5 days last week. We arrived last Monday night and our first impression was wow! The Ocean View Lofts were pretty amazing, but better then what we were expecting. The infinity pool was amazing and very private, only saw one other couple using the pool during the stay. The staff were on the whole very attentive and top notch, except the last day of our stay.

We had two major problems with our stay, and while we tried to keep a positive mind set, did effect the overall enjoyment of our stay.

1. There was major construction work going on at Aleenta at the moment, they are building a new spa and going through major upgrades. Agoda nor the resort failed to mention this during the booking process and we were only told of this upon our arrival. The sound of the drilling and constant banging was annoying at best of times. This is especially true in the Ocean View Lofts as the new spa is being built just behind the rooms. We were disappointed with finding out only after we arrived and we chose to spend most of the days in Phuket away from the sounds, which defied the purpose of staying at a quiet, secluded resort.

2. The second problem and the bigger of the two was, that during the last day of our stay as we were packing up, we found that all our bags were infested with tiny ants, there must have been hundreds of them all over our clothes and equipment, we had to spent a couple of hours going through everything one by one to try and get rid of them. And when we got home we found still even more in our luggage and spend a better part of the day cleaning everything up.

When we notified staff of this problem, all we got in reply was "thanks for letting us know" There was no apology and nobody came into our room to take a look. I don't know if this was because we were about to leave, but the staff truly didn't seem to take this very seriously. We thought calling management, but decided to pack and leave.

Overall I think it would be a nice resort to stay at, but if they told us of the construction work going on before hand, we would have just booked a hotel in Phuket or Patong, cause that where we ended up staying most of the time anyway. Just check and make sure the construction is finished before you book here

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Arramkim

Greetings form Aleenta!

Thank you very much for taking your time to share your views and experiences with us. We very much appreciate all comments and take them very seriously indeed.

Please let me address the issue of ants being found in your luggage. We do have on record that this was informed to the Front Office team on the day of your departure. We are sorry you did not feel that this matter was taken seriously. We are located in a tropical country that does have a plethora of fauna and flora sadly including in this is sometimes ants. We have checked your room upon departure both inside and on the external areas and piping etc and have found no traces of ants. We do try our very best to ensure ants are not nesting within the resort grounds. We do advise guests not to leave any food or sweet substances and oils left open as ants are attracted to this. Generally ants are not an issue for us here at the resort due to our beach front location versus being in the hillside or jungle location. We are in a remote location away from the busy built up areas of Phuket but our location is not the wilderness and our team are well briefed on how to handle cases of ants getting into rooms.

With regards to the improvements taking place at the resort during this time. We are sorry you were not aware of these taking place. We have on record you booked withan online travel agent and we had updated our information on this site for guests to be aware automatically and also on our own home page. We did over 70% off our rates during this time of the improvements. We are delighted to confirm that all improvement works shall be completed by the 15 November 2013 for our guests to have a fantastic time with us.

We would be delighted to welcome you back to us on a special rate in the future by contacting me directly on gm.aph@aleenta.com .

We look forward to welcoming you back to Aleenta Phuket or one of our other 3 resorts part of the AHMS Collection very soon.

Best regards

Reviewed 26 September 2013

Very nice,very exclusive,moderately luxurious.. amazing hospitality.. lick smacking food...
We had an upgrade to a ocean view residence..just the kind of privacy we wanted...amazing villa..with a private pool, rightly furnished..We actually booked a private pool villa on the sea..but later realized it was not the right option if you want privacy..
Very very pleasing staff...amazing food and service was very good..It was my husband's birthday so I have arranged for a candle light dinner on the beach.. which was just amazing with the wine and special menu.. Although there was small mis-communication related to the menu, but it was quickly corrected by the staff... We got an invitation for a cocktail evening by the beach.. where all the guests can meet and interact..also with the hotel manager..which is amazing idea to keep guests engaged ;)..
We were only a little disappointed with the spa...My husband had a bad back pain after the massage..and I had a head and back massage..and was surprised that they haven't used any oil for head massage..and my hair was totally entangled and was tough to comb later..
Leaving the spa experience... rest everything has been fantastic..
Definitely recommend aleenta for people who require privacy and like modern decor.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Lovely, chic beachfront hotel, very exclusive barefoot luxury feel, terrific beach (easily one of the nicest, cleanest, most beautiful stretches i've found anywhere in similar properties in thailand).
Pros: Loved the little personal touches in the room, loved our oceanview loft room and the views (although be aware that you also get a view of the rooftops in front of you and the sea in the distance depending on where your room is). Nice to have the largest pool at your doorstep though (I didn't mind at all sharing the pool with the other 3 lofts - you hardly see anyone out there during the day). Loved the little library room and the fact that you could get DVDs to cosy upto and watch in your room.
Cons: There were no cons per se, however, there is really only one restaurant (well two, but only one is open for lunch serving light seaside snack/lunch fare and the other thai place is open at night. It's a pretty deserted location so if you are there for longer than 3 or 4 days you could get pretty bored of the food. Food is ok but nothing wow, which was a pity. Spa was nice, got massages. Everything is a little bit on the expensive side as one would expect in a resort of this standard but nothing completely outrageous. Also, I felt the lighting in the room (the downstairs bit could have been better - a floor or table lamp would add a nice touch and ambience otherwise downstairs is a bit empty and dark and night). The AC unit noise that others have complained about did not really bother me at all, and I'm a pretty fussy person.

All in all, lovely little boutique resort, good service, excellent beach, totally secluded location (if you like that - I do). Great for a weekend break or relaxing getaway.

Room Tip: I really liked the oceanview loft. I think it's your best bang for the buck.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
DOSM_AHMS, General Manager at Aleenta Phuket Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2013

Greetings from Aleenta!

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay with us on TripAdvisor.

We are delighted to see that you have enjoyed your time at Aleenta and thank you for your feedback that we have shared with the team.

We would certainly welcome the opportunity to welcome you back should you decide to come back to Thailand. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed 23 September 2013 via mobile

I just stayed there for 4 nights. I was little disappointed as it was not exactly what I had in mind.

Don't get me wrong, service was excellent. I was even given a complimentary upgrade from the beach suite to a 2 bedder residence. However, the hotel is a little worn out.

Comfortable but not as luxurious as I thought it would be. There are stains on the marble floor. Experienced some massive sewage smell coming from the common bathroom. The house keepers came to fix it once when I complained but it was only a temporary measure. I had to keep the balcony door open to ventilate the room otherwise the smell will be back.

The air con in the master bedroom was really noisy throughout the night. The hotel tried to fix it but the noise came back again.

Breakfast selection was good,room servoce menu was good too.

I suggest staying here if you want plenty of quietness. It's far from patong 1 hour ride and the nearest restaurant is only 10 mins ride but taxi Cost us 600baht for 2 ways.

A great place to relax and chill beside the pool or beach.

We had the cooking class with Nia and it was a fantastic experience. A very friendly and nice chef who taught very patiently.

• Stayed: September 2013

Greetings from Aleenta!

Thank you for sharing your experience with us on TripAdvisor it is much appreciated.

We were happy to see that you have enjoyed your stay and we have taken note of the maintenance issue that you have mentioned in your post. They have been resolved since your departure.
We have shared your feedback with Nia our cooking class chef who was delighted to see that you enjoyed the experience.

Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future should you wish to come back to Aleenta.

Reviewed 18 September 2013

We stayed in a one bedroom, split level room. The accommodation was good, not luxurious but comfortable. i loved the setup of having our deck area and just two steps down into the huge swimming pool which most of the time was empty of other guests. We also really enjoyed the free bike rental and spent a couple of mornings cycling around the quiet surrounding countryside. What really let the stay down was the service. Every step of the way it seemed to miss a beat, breakfast each morning being a calamity of errors. If the staff were trained better this hotel could be impressive, but as it was, we were disappointed given the price.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
DOSM_AHMS, General Manager at Aleenta Phuket Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2013

Greetings from Aleenta!

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay on TripAdvisor it is much appreciated.

Glad to see that you have enjoyed the facility however i'd like to apologize for the service issues. Aleenta pride itself in delivering excellent service to its customer and in this instance we may have come short.
We will continue to work and train the team to ensure that we constantly improve our standard level.

I remain at your disposal should you have any further question or comments.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Khok Kloi
Pullman Phuket Arcadia Naithon Beach
The Pavilions Phuket
The Pavilions Phuket
#4 of 36 in Choeng Thale

Been to Aleenta Phuket Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!