“Fantastic experience” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 23 things to do in Mae Taeng
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

My wife and I spent a day here during our honeymoon. This was certainly a highlight of honeymoon.

We began with an introduction and learning about elephants and the history of the Thai Elephant home. We then learned basic commands and met our elephants, feeding them banana's. We then spent the day trekking in the jungle, giving them a mud bath and washing/swimming with the elephants in the river.

Mid way through we stopped for lunch and had the nicest pad thai of our whole trip! Certainly not your average british packed lunch! The elephants all looked well treated and it was clear everyone cared for them very much. We cant recommend this place enough, thank you for an amazing day.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Gazj04

• Hebrew first
  • Thai first
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Short but wonderful experience!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

My boyfriend and I booked the 2-hour training program on Jun 1. We picked this elephant farm because it has good reviews. It is more expensive than most of the others (1500 Baht per person) but it definitely worths it! Farm is well kept and clean, and we were served by 2 young men (one is an intern and one is a young man from Bangkok). They are very nice and responsible - explaining the basic commands, illustrating techniques and taking pictures for us all the way. We were able to ride barehead (much more fun!) and have one elephant for each person. Apart from the 2 guides, each elephant was led by a mahout and so there are 4 staff coming with us all the way. The trekking was fun and we walked past some villages and paddies. The bath at river was a highlight and the elephants were adorable. It was such a wonderful experience and we enjoyed it a lot!

Visited June 2014
Seria
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Great Elephants with a Great Team”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

My wif, 11 year old son and I went to the Thai Rlrphant Home as a part of a day trip in Chiang Mai. What a fabulous experience it was, the team were so attentive making sure everything was safe and most importantly fun. Our son absolutely loved it - put this on your 'must do' list when visiting Chiang Mai - you will not regret it!

Visited May 2014
2 Thank RLandAdam
Manchester, United Kingdom
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“The best day of my life.. ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

The title isn't an understatement! I've been travelling now for almost nine months and spent most of my time in Australia, I've done and seen some incredible things, things as awesome as watching a whale breech from the ocean, scuba diving on the great barrier reef, holding a koala and relaxing with the kangaroos but non of them could top my experience with Thai elephant home and their lovely locals. If your thinking of having your own elephant experience I would seriously recommend paying a bit more money, it may seem pricey but usually or in my case the moment you convert it back to your currency for what your getting it really isnt that bad. I was very concerned about seeing some abuse or negative behaviour towards the elephants and had heard a few people saying that its usually the cheaper ones where you see this kind of thing. A girl I met paid 40 baht for a 30 minute ride and saw her mahout hit the elephant with a crow bar of some sort over its head.

I found comfort in paying a bit more trusting that this wouldnt happen at thai elephant home. Before I made the booking I asked if the elephants were hit and if you rode bare back or on a wooden chair. They said if the elephants misbehave they will be given a command to stop, once ignored they will repeat it again and if ignored a second time a small hook will be shown or used. This was true, but my mahout probably only used it once as once it was shown the elephant stopped whatever it was doing wrong (which I didnt think was wrong) but you have to trust their training programme etc. So I witnessed no harm to them and saw how much love and care wejt in to taking care of these beauties.
I have heard the wooden chair is not comfortable for the elephant at all. Tour groups do use them and its totally up to you but id say make sure you can go bare back, the experience I believe is better you feel more connected to your elephant and you can really feel how their body moves and you'll be giving them more comfort.

The whole day was sooo well planned out and well worth the money. 4,500B for a full day! Soooo worth it. Never did I think id be lying in the mud and the river with one of natures most beautiful giants. I really did have the best day of my life and hopefully will be back next year to volunteer for 30 days! if you can bond with your elephant in just a day imagine your relationship in 30!! I would recommend this company to anyone suitable for all ages and you wont regret spending that little bit extra! Xx

3 Thank Sophie J
Denver, Colorado
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“Love, Love, Love, Love, Love”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

I wish I could rate this higher than 5 stars. What an amazing experience. Thoughts:
1. The company provides an outfit to wear, since the day involves mud and water. I wore a swim suit under the clothes provided. This worked well, however I did get contact dermatitis on my lower leg from the elephant because the pants provided are short. If worried, would wear leggings under the provided clothes.
2. The staff is super friendly, great fun, they joke around with eachother throughout the day and you can tell they are really enjoying themselves.
3. Lunch is provided, pad thai, so yummy, it comes wrapped in a banana leaf that you can feed your elephant when you are done.
4. LOTS of time with the elephants. The day is structured with a beginning orientation (after changing clothes), they tell you some commands to use with the elephant (you don't really need to use them, the staff takes care of it). After orientation everyone gets a large bunch of bananas to feed to the elephants. Kind of an ice breaker. Then everyone takes a turn getting on the elephant for a brief time (you get your picture taken, and at the end will receive a free DVD with a bunch of pictures taken throughout the day, really nice touch). The group then rides the elephants on a trail for about an hour. Return to camp for lunch, some down time including mud bathing, the elephants do some cute tricks (great photo op), and the group bathes an elephant in mud. Then back on the elephants to the river to wash off. Ride elephants back to camp, they also provide free t-shirts (size way up, they run small!)
5. you are also provided with a bag/satchel to wear while riding the elephants. I took my camera with and had no problems. You are able to ditch the camera on the shore with staff before entering the river, so no problems there. Definitely... bring... your... camera!
At the end of the day, I told my husband it was the best day of my life ever. He glared at me... so then I said, "after our wedding day". haha. But I didn't mean it (elephants were way better!) :-)
Will definitely return if I am ever back in Thailand, will 100% recommend to all my fam and friends who travel there. It is an experience that should not be missed!!

Visited February 2014