“Good Experience and FUN!!!”

The Elephant Training Center Chiang Dao
Ranked #1 of 1 Shopping in Mae Taeng
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I booked for the early elephant ride and raft trip. When I arrived it was a quick check-in and reasonable cost. I was shown to the pen where I was directed to the stairs for boarding. Everything was quick, but not rushed. Once underway thru the jungle it was pleasant and quiet the only sounds were birds, and the sounds of the elephants. I was able to spot a number of birds and heard many more. Half way along the trip the elephant driver turned us toward the river (did I mention I was on the lead elephant and he had tusks) and we ambled thru the water back to the starting point. This portion of the tour was over an hour. After dismounting the tourists made their way to the river site for the washing and water play exhibition. That was fun to watch and I wished I could have joined them to cool off, as by now the sun was heating the jungle. You can buy a bunch of bananas and feed the elephants next to the fence...many tourist did just that...the kids had fun doing it. Then we were directed to the log demonstartion area. There was a very nice viewing stand with a thatched roof and bleacher type seating. Had a great view of all the fun and demo. I have to say these animals looked well cared for, content, and played to the crowd...the runt as always steals the show with the old tusked elephant scolding. (all part of the show) There is a picture painting elephant as well, very good I might say. Never did find out if the painting was sold. That would have been the end of the day for most of the tourists, but I booked the full boat...ahh the raft ride. So I was shown where to go and boarded my raft. I was given water and a hat and shown the life jacket, the river maybe was at most 2 feet deep with just enough current to keep us moving. The ride was interesting and allowed for great bird watching. The heat of the day was now upon us, so make sure you have sunscreen and water. The raft guide was mostly silent and pointed to things he spotted, very good way to see the real jungle as a tourist on an excursion such as this. Every once and a while the river is very shallow and the raft scrapes over the rocks with a noise of rolling stones in beach surf. The camp is clean, well organized, maintained, not rushed and entertaining. Highly recommend for all ages. No need to take a set trip from your hotel...you can book direct and make your own way. The drive from CM is interesting as well my driver stopped at a very good raod side cafe on the way back...we had pork knee and eggs rolls and deep fried eggs about the size of a 50 cent piece. It was a great day...book for the early show and have your afternoon free to cool off by the pool back at your lodging with a Thai beer...what a great day!!!

3  Thank CaptPJ
in 25 reviews
"mahout"
in 14 reviews

Reviewed 7 May 2014

On arrival to the car park there was little evidence of anyone in charge and I began to feel a bit apprehensive and suspicious about what lay ahead. however once over the rope bridge and down the trail my mood changed to one of delight as I caught my 1st glimpse of the magnificent Elephants. We took the 1 hr trek through the forest and back through the river. The elephants appeared to be treated well though their collars of heavy chain might look cruel or harsh on animals of a smaller carriage, on these huge animals they seemed more acceptable. Staying on board an elephant going down a slope was challenging at times but the trek was one of the most enjoyable mornings I have ever spent. I would definitely recommend this centre, it's located less than an hours drive from chiang mai but the early start was more than worth it!

4  Thank Pat D
Reviewed 26 April 2014

We visited for the day and we had a brilliant time! When we arrived we watched the elephants bathe in the river which was great. They also did a little show including an elephant that paints a picture. After, we trekked through the jungle for an hour and a half and enjoyed every second. I'm not an elephant expert however the elephants seemed to be well looked after. After trekking we went on a bamboo raft which was very fun and different. Definitely a highlight of our trip to Thailand and highly recommend to others.

Reviewed 5 April 2014

We visited this camp as part of an organised trip and found it very interesting.- watching the elephants wash in the river then an interesting demonstration of how the animals work together to move logs etc

See more reviews
Reviewed 5 April 2014

I wanted to ride an elephant for a milestone birthday and decided to go to Thailand. We arranged some tour through Thai Travel Dreams that included an elephant show and elephant ride at The Elephant Training Center in Chiang Dao. It was exactly as I planned. We spent two days at the training center. On day one we stopped by to see the elephant show which included the elephants painting. This was prior to our jungle tour and on day two we came back to feed the elephant (bananas are 30 baht per bundle) and to take an elephant ride as well as go bamboo rafting. The one slightly scary part, if you are afraid of heights, is crossing the bridge to the camp. It sways an awful lot if the people are walking too close together. The further apart you space out the people crossing, the less swaying. It was the perfect way to celebrate my birthday. Oddly enough a gentleman from the US at the elephant show on the first day was also celebrating the same milestone birthday. Great minds thinks alike.

I highly recommend this elephant camp. One tip, please take toilet paper. I had not thought about this on day one but did bring paper on day two. We had been staying at Rimping Village so I was familiar with using the hose and not flushing any toilet paper but I did not consider that the Elephant Training Camp would also have no paper.

3  Thank KatWomanNYC