“Essential but well organised.”
Review of Stord Hotel

Stord Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Leirvik
Reviewed 21 January 2013

I've spent 2 nights at this hotel for a business trip.
The staying was ok.
Personnel overall professional.
I have not noticed particular flaws or disturbing elements.
The breakfast ok.
Price was also aligned to the level of service.

Room Tip: I did not stay enough to appreciate options
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 17 October 2012

I was paid to live here for two weeks and enjoyed myself even though finding the hotel was a pain because of the lack of signposting on the E39 passing Leirvik. Stord is the name of the island upon which Leirvik is the main town though you will see signs for "Stord Hospital" and "Stord Airport" but no signs for "Stord Centre". None of the signs I saw on the E39 suggested to me I was driving past the main town on the island again and again. Even businessmen from Bergen getting off the fast ferries on the quay were asking me if they were "in Stord". To find the hotel, drive along the E39, You'll see a sign saying "Vekt" at N59.77473 E6.48438. Take that then follow the sign to the right saying "hotel". The hotel's pretty much at N59.77392 E5.49569.

You know, it can rain so much in Norway you start to take biblical stories about floods more seriously and my room in Stord Hotell had a heated towel rail in the bathroom with a heated floor of course so you can take your soaking coat off, dry it and put it on again dry the next morning. Simple but so effective and welcome and not something I remember having in other hotels in Norway.

Breakfast. I noticed this wasn't the "typical" Norwegian hotel breakfast. The bacon was thicker and more rustic unlike the cheap salty stuff that's too thinly sliced you get at most hotels. I got the impression the breakfast chefs enjoyed experimenting which meant breakfast usually had something new each morning. One GREAT thing was the staff were not in a mad rush to get the food away if you were lingering over your breakfast a bit.

Food. They have a proper kitchen with proper chefs cooking proper food. The meat was great but you should try any of the fish dishes bearing in mind Stord is surrounded by great fishing waters.

Staff. Universally friendly, kind, cheerful, efficient without being "fussy".

Open broadband. Free. Logging on is easy.

Nice decorations. I don't normally notice interior design unless it's horrendous. I actually noticed this place was tastefully decorated.

Parking and shopping. There's a supermarket near the hotel. It would be a good place for anyone touring in a camper to have a night of civilised comfort, a nice meal, do some shopping, download their email etc.

I nearly forgot to mention. I don't have a problem sleeping. I sleep anywhere if I'm tired but at Stord Hotell, I slept brilliantly. I don't know why. Yes, the beds were obviously perfect for me, plenty of nice pillows, no noise .... but I've had that before at loads of places and not slept so well. I can't tell you why but I slept like a log here.

Like other hotels in Norway of a certain standard, the hotel has live entertainment most nights plus an area of comfy sofas with a big telly for watching satellite football etc. near the bar.

The hotel seemed quite busy with various groups having meetings and conferences in the meeting rooms and there's a large function room upstairs apparently. I never saw it.

I seem to remember the hotel has a swimming pool and gym etc. neither of which I saw or used.

Stord is nice. Everything you need without everything you get in big cities you don't need. Lots of lovely coves, beaches, bays, rivers and nature to explore.

Room Tip: I had the same room for two weeks. I never wanted a different room
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Liggerman
Reviewed 16 August 2012

Stayed here for 1 night on the last day in Norway to catch a flight out of Bergen the next morning. Got upgraded to a superior room with great view probably cuz we were the only guests.

Pros:
- friendly staff
- clean and big room with big bathroom and L'occitant toiletries :D
- comfortable bed
- very good breakfast spread, unfortunately we had to dash so didn't get to enjoy it much

Cons:
- nothing wrong with the hotel but the town is erm... Let's just say....sleepy and sad...

Overall, the hotel seems to cater mainly to conference attendees but we were happy with it and it proved to be an ideal distance from the airport.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2012

I visited the hotel for a conference 13th of June.
The location was good and the hotel had a big parking lot behind the hotel. The front desk was quite small, but still the people working there were quick and very helpful.

I got a twin room with two very small beds, but the room it self was very big. The room was located in the older part of the hotel.

The breakfast was average. No bacon, and they had problems with the coffee machine which they weren't able to fix.

The conference run out of coffee and fruit rather quick, and it was not replaced. (but still I don't know that the conference had paid for..)

If I will visit Leirvik again, I would stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the new part of the hotel
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 June 2012

We hadn't planned to stay on Stord but found the Stord Hotel late in the evening. Yes, it's really a business/conference hotel but the receptionist was just as welcoming to us (travel weary and slightly grubby) as to anyone else. We were given a very nice, clean and quiet room. Unfortunately we didn't have a great view but we hadn't booked in advance so that wasn't too surprising. The swimming pool looked very inviting with sauna and solarium. The bar had a grand piano with a pianist and singer playing quietly in the background. Breakfast was the usual norwegian buffet and very good. Great receptionist. If I am ever in Stord again I'll stay at the Stord Hotel.

Room Tip: I think the rooms above the 3rd floor will have good views.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 May 2012

You never know in Norway, but this is a great hotel. Good location (10 minutes from the harbour) and very good rooms. They also have bicycles for rent, which is great if you do not have a car with you. Actually, they only have three, but that was enough for me. They also have a nice bar area with a guy behind a piano playing. It was crowded as some Norwegian families had a party. Only downside of this was that the full menu was not available, only the small menu (but that was enough). This hotel was above normal Norwegian standards, and I can fully recommend it. If I happen to go to Leirvik again (which is unlikely), I will stay there again.

Room Tip: I think the front side has the better (Fjord) view. I had the back side (with a mountainview)
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank BramNetherlands
Reviewed 23 April 2012

They have an old part and an old part. The old was barley ok, but the new I very nice. Make sure tell them when booking what part you want. Food is, one of there I have eaten in Norway.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank cjwik
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leirvik
Almaas Hotell Stord
#3 of 4 in Stord Municipality
Rosendal Turisthotell
Rosendal Turisthotell
#1 of 2 in Rosendal

Been to Stord Hotel? Share your experiences!