“Teacake Travesty!”

Add it.
Little Chef
Cuisines: British
Reviewed 25 June 2013

We stopped at this Little Chef for a cup of coffee and a tea cake. We were utterly appalled at the cleanliness first of all, we watched a waitress 'clean' the table next to us, I use the term loosely as it was a case that she pushed all the crumbs on to the floor and wiped half the table with a dirty damp cloth. We ordered a coffee and teacake/crumpet each which took around half an hour to arrive to the table, when these arrived we were then told that they had run out of crumpets and so we would have to have an extra teacake instead. We made our way to the till where we were ignored for around 10 minutes, when a lady finally did arrive we had to tell HER what we had ordered!!! Unbelievable!!!! To top it all off the toilets were disgusting, I would refuse to take my child in there. I worked in a Little Chef when I was around 16 and I know for a fact that this is not common among Little Chefs, this place should be shut down. It is an embarrassment to the Little Chef chain and the staff need to pull themselves together, smile and learn some customer service skills! AKA manners!

2  Thank Katie M

Reviewed 31 March 2013

I foolishly ordered a steak, which was like a piece of shoe leather - very tough and overcooked - I complained.

Reviewed 25 August 2012

After being stuck in traffic for 2 hours and missed breakfast because of an early start packing up from a muddy but fun weeks camping, we were desperate for somthing to eat. But not it would seem desperate enough for this place. From the outside it looked like it has shut down years ago. Inside it didn't get any better. It was dirty and in desperate need of refurbishment or knocking down. The family in front of us were begrudgingly seat by a less than enthusiastic member of staff. We were ignored, my wife took our son to the loo and when they returned I went, when I got back our presence had still not even been acknowledged. A family who had been sitting when we arrived had too ask for the dirty plates from the previous customer to be cleared. It was at this point we decided to leave. I beg the management of Little Chef to shut this abomination down ASAP. AVOID AT ALL COSTS!

2  Thank Tridiver
Reviewed 3 October 2011

My British husband tells me of family trips he used to take that stopped at Little Chef's around England. They are basically a roadside diner chain that's been around for years. Anyway, he described something called Jubilee Pancakes which are regular pancakes with a cherry filling and a scoop of ice cream on top. I managed to convince him to stop on a recent trip and was able to experience the dish. Certainly not gourmet but quirky and something to add to your list if you are into odd local customs. They also have something called a Knickerbocker Glory that I intend to try on my next visit to see the Grandkids.

Reviewed 4 December 2010

We visited the Little Chef, Shute for breakfast one morning last week, and were frankly disgusted and apalled. There was not one redeeming feature from start to finish. We arrived to find the place freezing and a makeshift electric freestanding heater doing nothing to warm the place. We ordered three breakfasts; they were awful when they arrived; the butter for the toast was rancid. The beans tasted as if they were the cheapest watery beans and had a nasty off taste, and the hash browns were soggy and laden with fat. There was nothing tasty on the plate, and everything tasted cheap and nasty, all for £24.90! An absolute rip off!!!. No wonder we were the only ones in there during the whole hour. The toilets were even colder, freezing in fact, and there was no hot water to wash hands with, the cold water was ice cold, and the hand dryer was out of order. Both toilets and restaurant were in a sorry state, and a full refurbishment is about 20 years overdue.

The management of Little Chef show alarming arrogance, as, despite recent publicity, they have clearly not listened to Heston, and the company deserves to go into liquidation with their shortsighted attitude, as the experience they provide is an insult to its dwindling customers. I feel very angry ans advise customers to avoid at all costs!!!

1  Thank Scrumpy123