As I've mentioned before in reviews, my partner and I are members of QHotels Breakaway Club and we get a £45 B&B rate on a Sunday night.
On Sunday morning, being heavily pregnant, decided the obvious thing to do was to plan to try to go away that night. Rang QHotels reservations and asked if Hellidon Lakes had availability, they did and we opted for a superior double room for a supplement of £15 and off we went!
We arrived at 1.30 and check in isn't until 3pm, the receptionist was friendly, cheerful and polite and got us checked in, but our room wasn't quite ready. We were given the choice of waiting in the bar and someone would find us or using the facilities in the leisure area. We opted to actually go for a walk in the grounds, which are stunning. We found a lovely ornamental pond, waterfall and two seats, where we sat watching the golfers until 2.30, before heading to the bar for a cold drink.
The bar has lovely views over the golf course and surrounding countryside. Partner was served quickly and in a friendly manner by the bar man and drinks were not too pricey either.
Just before 3pm, we returned to reception and we were given our key, which had been put aside for us.
We were in Room 256 on the second floor. We arrived at the room and we're suprised how big it was. Very clean and the windows had been left open so it was lovely and cool. We had a double bed in our room plus writing desk, drawers, table and 2 armchairs and a vanity area with hairdryer. Our bathroom was large, with a shower cubicle and bath, decent lighting and very clean and fresh. We had a small selection of premium toiletries provided as well as 'upgraded' tea, coffee and biscuits plus mineral water in the room. We had no complaints regarding the room, certainly, fo us, it was perfectly adequate. Only one issue, robes were supposed to be provided but weren't, though this didn't affect our stay.
We went for a wander round the hotel, it was very clean, staff were pleasant, grounds are all kept nicely. We did want to try the 10 Pin Bowling, although at £12 per person for half an hour, we felt that we'd be better using the leisure facilities!
We did opt to use the pool in the evening. Slightly disappointed in the changing facilities but were advised they are due refurbishment shortly. I wouldn't have expected carpet in a changing room where you have to walk in from the pool. However, dated they might be, the facilities were adequate. Showers clean, lockers readily available and hairdryers provided. The only thing I would say about the shower cubicles (and only as a matter of being a picky pregnant woman) is that I couldn't turn around fully! They are plastic cubicles, akin to caravan ones but nonetheless, clean and functional.
The pool is an adequate size and we were lucky to have sole use, my partner and I made use of the pool, loungers and jacuzzi (which was lovely) and the steam room, which was also good. It is a little dated but this does not detract from the fact we did have a good amount of use from it in our stay. There wasn't too much chlorine either, which irritates my eyes, so full marks for this!
Didn't opt for dinner in the restaurant, as we'd already made plans for the evening.
After returning from dinner about 10pm, we parked up again, plenty of spaces and visable cameras, which was reassuring when our car refused to lock!
Hotel seemed quite quiet, so we retired to our room and to sleep. However, at 1am, we were woken up by some rowdy lads running up and down the corridor shouting and swearing. Partner stuck his head out the door and could hear the group in a room next door but one. He called reception who said they'd send someone up. After 30 minutes or so, the noise was still ongoing, so he went to reception where again they advised that someone would come up. 20 minutes later, a young lad did and knocked on their door. He got no answer and went away again. The noise disipated until about 3am and then they started going between rooms. We considered asking to move but considering we were getting up at 8 anyway, we tried to get some sleep and did eventually succeed.
Went for breakfast in The Lakes restaurant, also overlooking the golf course. Good selection of cereals, cold meats, fruit etc. Offered coffee upon being seated which arrived quickly, order placed for boiled eggs. What we liked was the 'homemade yoghurt' made by one of their chefs, it's lovely and well recommended, add your own purees and fruit, a lovely way to start the day. Cooked items were OK, bacon a little dry and crispy, eggs fine, sausages were very nice but partner said the scrambled egg was a tad dry but certinly passable. Boiled eggs arrived, well presented and perfectly cooked, certainly no fault here.
Service throughout was pleasant and quick, staff courteous and helpful.
We checked out with ease at 9am, wished a pleasant onward journey and luck with the baby, also received an apology for the noise too.
Overall, we weren't here for very long but regardless, service was good, room was lovely, felt refreshed and relaxed and would definately return again and recommend to others too.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hellidon Lakes Golf and Spa Hotel is located in Daventry in Northamptonshire. This hidden gem is surrounded by 220 acres of delightfully peaceful grounds; so it’s quite easy to forget that it is a mere 14 miles off the M40 and 20 minutes from the M1. Hellidon Lakes Golf and Spa Hotel is home to a 27 hole Championship golf course, a superb leisure club, relaxing spa, tennis courts and a fishing lake. In fact the hotel's eight sparkling lakes are behind our four-star hotel’s name. What's more the hotel has an indoor ten pin bowling alley - great for family fun or on an evening of laughter outside of the meeting room. The hotel has 24 flexible conference and meeting rooms, 200 complimentary car parking spaces and are proud to offer some great stimulation for conference and events; from self-contained meeting areas to superb team building space. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ebookers, Booking.com, Priceline, Expedia, Odigeo, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Hellidon Lakes Golf & Spa Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hellidon Lakes Golf & Spa Hotel - a q Hellidon
- Hellidon Lakes Golf And Spa Hotel - a Qhotel
- Hellidon Lakes Daventry
- Hellidon Lakes Hotel
- Hellidon Lakes Golf & Spa Hotel Northamptonshire