“Lovely Stay”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hellidon
Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
“Lovely Stay”
Reviewed 28 July 2011

As I've mentioned before in reviews, my partner and I are members of QHotels Breakaway Club and we get a £45 B&B rate on a Sunday night.

On Sunday morning, being heavily pregnant, decided the obvious thing to do was to plan to try to go away that night. Rang QHotels reservations and asked if Hellidon Lakes had availability, they did and we opted for a superior double room for a supplement of £15 and off we went!

We arrived at 1.30 and check in isn't until 3pm, the receptionist was friendly, cheerful and polite and got us checked in, but our room wasn't quite ready. We were given the choice of waiting in the bar and someone would find us or using the facilities in the leisure area. We opted to actually go for a walk in the grounds, which are stunning. We found a lovely ornamental pond, waterfall and two seats, where we sat watching the golfers until 2.30, before heading to the bar for a cold drink.

The bar has lovely views over the golf course and surrounding countryside. Partner was served quickly and in a friendly manner by the bar man and drinks were not too pricey either.

Just before 3pm, we returned to reception and we were given our key, which had been put aside for us.

We were in Room 256 on the second floor. We arrived at the room and we're suprised how big it was. Very clean and the windows had been left open so it was lovely and cool. We had a double bed in our room plus writing desk, drawers, table and 2 armchairs and a vanity area with hairdryer. Our bathroom was large, with a shower cubicle and bath, decent lighting and very clean and fresh. We had a small selection of premium toiletries provided as well as 'upgraded' tea, coffee and biscuits plus mineral water in the room. We had no complaints regarding the room, certainly, fo us, it was perfectly adequate. Only one issue, robes were supposed to be provided but weren't, though this didn't affect our stay.

We went for a wander round the hotel, it was very clean, staff were pleasant, grounds are all kept nicely. We did want to try the 10 Pin Bowling, although at £12 per person for half an hour, we felt that we'd be better using the leisure facilities!

We did opt to use the pool in the evening. Slightly disappointed in the changing facilities but were advised they are due refurbishment shortly. I wouldn't have expected carpet in a changing room where you have to walk in from the pool. However, dated they might be, the facilities were adequate. Showers clean, lockers readily available and hairdryers provided. The only thing I would say about the shower cubicles (and only as a matter of being a picky pregnant woman) is that I couldn't turn around fully! They are plastic cubicles, akin to caravan ones but nonetheless, clean and functional.

The pool is an adequate size and we were lucky to have sole use, my partner and I made use of the pool, loungers and jacuzzi (which was lovely) and the steam room, which was also good. It is a little dated but this does not detract from the fact we did have a good amount of use from it in our stay. There wasn't too much chlorine either, which irritates my eyes, so full marks for this!

Didn't opt for dinner in the restaurant, as we'd already made plans for the evening.

After returning from dinner about 10pm, we parked up again, plenty of spaces and visable cameras, which was reassuring when our car refused to lock!

Hotel seemed quite quiet, so we retired to our room and to sleep. However, at 1am, we were woken up by some rowdy lads running up and down the corridor shouting and swearing. Partner stuck his head out the door and could hear the group in a room next door but one. He called reception who said they'd send someone up. After 30 minutes or so, the noise was still ongoing, so he went to reception where again they advised that someone would come up. 20 minutes later, a young lad did and knocked on their door. He got no answer and went away again. The noise disipated until about 3am and then they started going between rooms. We considered asking to move but considering we were getting up at 8 anyway, we tried to get some sleep and did eventually succeed.

Went for breakfast in The Lakes restaurant, also overlooking the golf course. Good selection of cereals, cold meats, fruit etc. Offered coffee upon being seated which arrived quickly, order placed for boiled eggs. What we liked was the 'homemade yoghurt' made by one of their chefs, it's lovely and well recommended, add your own purees and fruit, a lovely way to start the day. Cooked items were OK, bacon a little dry and crispy, eggs fine, sausages were very nice but partner said the scrambled egg was a tad dry but certinly passable. Boiled eggs arrived, well presented and perfectly cooked, certainly no fault here.

Service throughout was pleasant and quick, staff courteous and helpful.

We checked out with ease at 9am, wished a pleasant onward journey and luck with the baby, also received an apology for the noise too.

Overall, we weren't here for very long but regardless, service was good, room was lovely, felt refreshed and relaxed and would definately return again and recommend to others too.

Room Tip: Quiet surroundings means most rooms should be fine.
1 Thank memphisto1503
csteadman, General Manager at Hellidon Lakes Golf & Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 18 August 2011
Memphisto1503
I would like to thank you for your very comprehensive review of Hellidon Lakes. We can take lots of positives from your review and I will be sharing these positive things with the team here.
I can confirm that the male changing rooms have now been completed and we shall be starting on the female ones in the Autumn, along with removing the plastic shower cubicles.
Once again thank you for your post and I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
Chris Steadman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
Merseyside England
Reviewed 27 July 2011

We last stayed here about 14 months ago and were very unhappy at the quality of staff employed. So much so we complained to their central office.
Have to say though that our latest visit was a much more pleasant experience and we cannot praise the staff enough particularly those in the restaurant who were very attentive and friendly.
The venue is superb but the hotel just needs a bit of tlc .

Room Tip: Ask for a room that overlooks the 18th green where the views are fabulous.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
ianboardman64
I would like to thank you for your post following your stay at Hellidon Lakes.
I was pleased that you gave us another opportunity to right a few wrongs from your previous stay and I was delighted that we did just that.
We have a new management team at the hotel and it is pleasing to see the improvements coming through.
I hope we see you again very soon at Hellidon Lakes.
Batley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2011

Stayed for two nights and enjoyed the visit. The rooms were clean and tidy, staff were very helpful when needed and the food in the restaurant was first class. The pastry chef is well worth the money. The spa area is very small but I understand they are due a refurbishment very soon - was disappointed with the leisure facilities and the changing area but overall was very impressed. No doubt we will be returning for another visit.

Room Tip: When booking request a room with odd numbers as they overlook the golf course - excellent views
1 Thank angie2907
Angie2907
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your visit.
I can confirm we are looking at ways to improve our spa offering and look out for updates on the QHotels web pages.
I was delighted you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Hitchin
Reviewed 25 July 2011

I recently booked Hellidon Lakes for a work conference. We bought close on 100 people for 3 days of hard work in the day and plenty of relaxation in the evenings.

From start to finish, the entire experience could not have been better with fantastic food, a great environment and helpful and accomodating staff who coped very will with our (quite demanding) requirements.

There were a couple of issues (reception forgetting things and WAY too much chlorine in the pool!) but having personally stayed at many different standards of hotel I can confidently say that Hellidon Lakes really couldn't have done much more for us given what we asked of them.

I was so impressed I am even about to book this hotel for a personal golf weekend!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Centrality
I would like to thank you for your post and indeed I am delighted that you are returning to the hotel in August.
We look forward to seeing you again and for your golf weekend too.
Once again thank you and I am sure you will feel the same way after your event in August.
Thanks
Luton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2011

firstly we did arrive to the hotel late on the friday night due to myself being taken into hospital on the morning we were due to arrive. However i booked this two night spa break weeks ago and i rang several times to confirm that the treatments i was having for the saturday was a pre-natal massage for 125 minutes. When we went to the spa on the saturday morning i was told that i could not have it as there was no one on shift to be able to do it instead i could have a adapted normal body massage. now i know that i was offered a placement massage but i rang ahead of my stay as my friend whom i went with last time (she was pregnant) had the pre natal massage for mums to be and said it was worth every penny and really helped. I was very disappointed indeed. Secondly when woke up the saturday and went to breakfast we worked out that their was was wedding on at the hotel that day, which i felt that the hotel should of told us as our bedroom was above the area of the party and we could clearly here the music when we was in bed. (im not moaning about the wedding people at all (the bride looked amazing) we just felt that the hotel should of informed guests that a wedding was occuring that weekend). I feel that the real reason that we couldnt have our proper treatments was beacuse they were fully booked up with hen parties and catering for everyone.

the Hotel itself is lovely and the rooms are lovely however since feeling VERY let down by this weekend in certin areas i am now very dis heartened in returning to this hotel as i have another two night spa break booked with my mother a few weeks before i give birth which may i add i have pre booked a pre natal massge!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Woodbug21
csteadman, General Manager at Hellidon Lakes Golf & Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 20 July 2011
Woodbug21
Firstly I would like to offer my congratulations on your pregnancy. I was very disappointed that we were unable to honour your pre-natal treatment, my wife is also pregnant and I can appreciate that R&R is very much needed.
Please do contact me personally and I will be more than happy to ensure that your treatment is honoured and delivered to a great standard. I would like to confirm that our head therapist was taken on long term sick and I sincerely apologise for this as we should have contacted you ahead of the day.
As stated please do contact me and I will reassure your concerns ahead of your return visit.
Reviewed 17 July 2011

I booked over the phone and my welcome / thanks for booking email was sent to 'Dear (name)' and that they were 'looking forward to welcoming me on (date)' instantly i felt worried..
We arrived to be met by an almost too smiley receptionist, who checked us in. The lobby was nice, very clean and tidy with comfy sofas and pc for guest use. We booked a 'superior double' (fundamentally because they'd run out of normal double rooms) and when we let ourselves in, struggled to see why it was more expensive. It was OK, but it didn't have much more than your standard Jury's Inn hotel room. The wallpaper was a little loose in places and there were marks on the walls and ceiling. The room was hot and there was no air con in our room. The pillar fan provided didn't provide much of a breeze.
We stayed for two nights and had breakfast and dinner included. The service at dinner on the first evening was very slow and quite frustrating, but to be fair, there was a large party of meeting delegates dining at the same time, so we put it down to the staff being busy. This was correct as on the second night, the service was much better. The quality of the food was good, with lots of choice. Breakfast was buffet style in the same restaurant, the staff were quick to seat you and bring tea/coffee both mornings of our stay. The food was of a good quality and plentuful. There are impressive views of the golf course from the restaurant.
We used the Spa, to be met with friendly staff. We both had full body massages and enjoyed them thoroughly, feeling very relaxed after, where we had a couple of hours in the steam room, jacuzzi and pool. My partner also had a mani/pedi, and after we used the bowling alley in the hotel that evening, which is good fun, the following morning the spa staff happily touched up her nails.
The wi fi wasn't very quick, but the staff told us it had faulted and was being repaired.
Overall we were content with our stay, the only thing that really let it down was the room. We hate to complain (too british i suppose) and didn't feel it was bad enough to have a moan about, but i feel it was bad enough to mention on here. There were other little bits that let the hotel down, for example, there were cups left on the floor outside, scruffy guests fault i know, but they sat out there all day.
I'm really not sure if we'd return to this hotel as i feel it's overpriced for what it delivers. I would recommend this hotel, but i would also give my opinions too.

• Stayed July 2011
Radstock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2011

Booked this for a Silverstone weekend. Convenient location for getting to race circuit down small roads helped by sat nav. Room clean and pleasant inside if not very stylish but looked out onto bins at back of hotel which was not at all attractive. Make sure you have a room facing the golf course/lake which is a very nice view. Beds were very soft and bouncy but suprisingly ok to sleep on. Price acceptable for British Grand Prix weekend when all accommodation in area heavily booked but would have expected higher standard for price (£124 per room per night) if any other period. Staff all very friendly and mostly efficient. Surprised the bar man had to go and find out what the cake of the day was when I enquired at about 4 pm - it took him ages to get an answer and as it had been on offer in theory since lunch time surely someone should already have told him. I chose scones instead which were possibly the worst I had ever eaten, obviously thawed and heated in a micro wave which had left them chewy and rubbery. Little response from staff when I told them this - admittedly my partner and I had eaten them - I was very hungry! The food at breakfast was good, especially the fruit and yoghurt and my partner enjoyed his full English. The food in the evening was good too especially main courses but not worth the very high prices. I do not expect to pay £22 for a steak so I didn't order one. Also be warned starters and puds are very small. And if you are charging high prices and trying to be rather up market how about providing decent wine glasses. The dinky little ones on offer were hardly elegant.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room facing the golf course/lake not the rubbish bins
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
csteadman, General Manager at Hellidon Lakes Golf & Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 18 July 2011
SusanRosemary8
Thank you for your review of Hellidon Lakes Golf & Spa Hotel, I hope you enjoyed the British Grand Prix?
I was pleased that there were elements of your stay that impressed you but I do apologise for the shortcomings you experienced at the hotel.
I have recently employed a new head chef and I can assure you the level of quality coming from the kitchen will improve as will the service in the bars as I have also employed a new Restaurant & Bars Manager, all with impeccable quality and standards in their backgrounds.
I hope we will see you for the 2012 GP.
Chris Steadman
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hellidon
Chesford Grange - A QHotel
#5 of 27 in Stratford-upon-Avon
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,017 reviews
De Vere Staverton Estate
Mercure Daventry Court Hotel and Spa

Been to Hellidon Lakes Golf & Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!