“Whilst the men are away.....” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hellidon Lakes Golf & Spa Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Hellidon Lakes Golf & Spa Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hellidon
Kings Lynn
“Whilst the men are away.....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2012

We booked this as a 'central' meeting point for our family as we live in the four corners of the country.

We got to within 5 mles easily, just a few tricky corners and hidden signs delayed us. (It would be helpful if someone went out with a pair of shears to clear the hedges back around the direction signs, look out for the tiny brown ones off the main roads, then look for the backs of larger ones near the hotels, purple does not stand out amonst the bushes).

The staff couldn't have been more helpful. The restaurant staff even took a very late order from one of us that had a longer journey.

Our room was well appointed, overlooking the course and the lake. Everything in it was beautifully clean. Massive bed too.

Whilst the men were away playing golf the next day, the ladies in the party popped down to reception where a lovely lady was extremjely helpful and printed off places of interest and directions for us. if you are not a golf or spa fan (or want something else to do) check out the Fabulous Designer Village, near Banbury, 1st shop Jimmy Choo's at 70% discount!!!

The men enjoyed the golf course, it does require the constitution of Hannibal to get up and down the 'rolling hills' a second days play proved too much for some of us!

The food was fine, sadly not fine dining, but adequate.

Buttet breakfast meant that you could have a good day out without having to stop for lunch.

The 'Terrace Bistro' was open all day and served rather pricey snacks and drinks. (£3.50 for 12 frozen steak chips served in a sugar bowl).rather took the shine off things a little. A round of drinks, 4 pints of beer and 5 soft drinks came to over £29! is it me or is that a tad excessive?

We didnt use the spa, that was occupied by several ladies on a Hen party. We didn't think we would get the tranquil effect with lots of pink feathers floating around.

Had a great game of Ten pin bowling instead. (never played before)

Second evening the food was fine, again.The restaurant was very busy, we were 'forgotten' three times, the manager apologised by getting us a round of drinks to compensate, this (knowing how expensive they were!) made up for any inconvenience.

There are any number of sized rooms for venues, meetings, etc.

There was a wonderful indian wedding in part of the hotel with lots of guests we only knew because we went out through the main doors.
Overall, lovely quiet hotel, fantastic views, great golf, lovely cheerful staff, a really relaxing weekend.

We would book again and we live in beautiful Norfolk.

Room Tip: Ask for one overlooking the lakes.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
csteadman, General Manager at Hellidon Lakes Golf & Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 24 July 2012
lotsoflavender
Firstly may I say that if anybody reads our page I bet they cannot skip your headline comment!!
Thank you for your post and I can concur that Bicester Village is great for shopping, my wife also likes the 70% off Jimmy Choo and also the Uggs store there!!! But why not treat yourself while the gents are on the golf course. Apologies for the couple of hiccups but pleased you enjoyed the overall experience.
Thanks once again.
Chris Steadman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2012 via mobile

Whittlebury Hall and Body Flight previously but wasn't expecting anything as grand as Whittlebury, which was very very lucky as is was such a disappointment. There was no one to meet you in the Spa reception and none of the promised nice touches either. No dressing gowns no slippers and no receptionist. Eventually after about 20 minutes the main receptionist from the Hotel came running down to help us. Having been told the day before we went that the hotel was extremely quiet this weekend and that there was loads of availability for treatments we hadn't booked anything but when we got there we were told that they had lots of conferences on and that they were full! The changing rooms were tatty and had one long wall covered in black mould. Very very shabby indeed. It was like a school changing room but worse. We started by this time to wonder why we had bothered. A walk in just our cosies because there was no sign of dressing gowns etc to the pool was met by a stiff door that slams everytime it's used into the 'pool area' a tiny and very cold pool of advanced years. I braved 1 length and much amusement was had by myself and the other slightly blue lady in there regarding the shock. The jacuzzi is right next to this and had a permanent foam topping, more scum than bubbles though. Thought better of it and two ladies were in it anyway making it full. The sauna was a revelation, it WAS warm and clean looking but could only fit the four of us is without having to touch someone up inadvertently. There are more than four seat but two are corner seats for those people unfortunate enough to have have no legs! Tiny is the word. So we sat in front of the magnificent view into the valley bellow in loungers along a glass wall in our soggy cosies and then low and behold a load of middle aged golfer chaps went guffawing by having a good gawp in! The windows were worn and needed replacing. The tile had lime scale buildup all round the place and it was very neglected looking. 20 minutes later we were dressed and out of ther - we won't be going back!

• Stayed June 2012
Wendi76
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your spa day at Hellidon Lakes, I can only sincerely apologise that we got so much wrong on the day. We have a new Spa Manager started and she would like to echo my apologies. After such an experience I can understand you not wanting to return to Hellidon Lakes but should that ever change please do contact me directly.
Chris Steadman

Travellers are raving about these Hellidon hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2012

This hotel is lovely, beautiful setting - views are amazing. Staff are extremely friendly and helpful. Very warm welcome at reception and restaurant. Room was gorgeous very clean, spacious and large bathroom with seperate bath/ shower. Food was excellent in the restaurant and again staff very nice. We stayed one night as part of a spa package. The only disappointing part of the hotel is the swimming pool area, really could do with a revamp .. Compared to the rest of the hotel this area is a let down, If they did re do this area the hotel would be outstanding as a whole. We had a massage in the beauty salon area which was lovely. Overall a very nice stay and would go back, lots of space and plenty seating areas in the bar areas. Just a let down by the 'spa' area which is a shame.

• Stayed June 2012
Sweet876
Thank you for posting your review of Hellidon Lakes and thank you for taking the time to mention the service you received from the team here.
I was delighted to read that your stay was an enjoyable one and I trust we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2012

First the positives: Most of the staff we came into contact with were very helpful, efficient and polite - and in fact there were one or two I would have liked to give a customer service award to.
The bowling was really good fun and although a tad bit expensive a must when the weather isnt too nice.

Now the negatives: This is a very tired and worn out hotel which claims a 4star status but is a good 3 star. We are part of the Qhotel breakaway club and would never revisit this hotel becuase in comparison to the others it just does not have the class or quality as the others which is a shame. Our suite was rather old and disappointing, the swimming pool is tiny and looks liike it should have a face lift.

Qhotel make a point of saying they have 21 hotels but this one operates on a different basis to the others - if you book a suite or Qstar room with the others you get complimentary drinks in the fridge, newspaper and upgrades in those rooms. This hotel doesnt do that - to me, if you are part of a chain then every hotel should offer the same service regardless of where it is located in the country.

Now the spa - we booked a Qtogether package which included 2 treatments, a light lunch and a glass of bubbly. One treatment (the mens manicure) only lasted 25 minutes and if we had booked this seperately we would have paid no more than £15. The other was a full body massage for 50 mins which would have cost around £45 - so all in all we paid another £29 for a sandwich and a glass of bubbly. We queried the time of the mens manicure and like all the other reviews the employee really was not that interested. So check the prices out before you book a "QSpa deal" of any sort.

The food was okay but the menu is very limited as are the portions. My other half had to query if he had in fact been served a rib eye stake as it was so small we couldnt quite believe we had paid £26 for this! Daventry is only a short drive away and some lovely english pubs around you can choose from so do not have dinner here unless you have to.

Sorry Qhotels - as a member of the breakaway club this is the first time I have been compelled to right a review such as this but clearly this hotel falls short.

Room Tip: Don't pay the extra for a suite (269 was the one we had). We got a view of the carpark and its...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Wholenut13
Thank you for your review of Hellidon Lakes and thank you for your continued support of QHotels, I was naturally disappointed to read that we had fallen short of your expectations and for this I do sincerely apologise.
I trust even though you are unlikely to return to Hellidon you will remain loyal to QHotels and maybe once we have had a refurbishment you will allow us to restore your faith in Hellidon Lakes?
Portsmouth
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2012

Went looking for a de-stress couple of days away where my wife could induged in a spa while I could play golf. The room was good though we did ask for and got a room with a view. We were moved to one of the rooms at the back of the top floor for a late check out (cause there were problems at the spa) I dont think we could have stayed in that one. The food was very good, we opted for inclusive dinner on both days but the wine was expensive and nothing special as were the prices for the drinks throughout. The service was very good although it tailed off as the place got busy and it seemed disorganised as did the spa, having prebooked two spa treatments one day my wife only recieved one because of staff sickness and the reprogramed time the following day required a room move and late check out because of a mix up with appointment time. As compensation my wife was offered a free 25 minute massage which I had to have because of the time issue. We wouldnt recommend going at the weekends for relaxing because of wedding parties and golf societies (unless you are part of the party). The golf course was very challenging due to conditions (high winds & rain) it required a lot of course management but it was a good test and good value although high handicaps may be disillusioned with the oportunity to lose a few balls (which I did)!! Overall the place seem tired and worn (the jacuzzi, steam room and pool had only just come back on line after a breakdown) but its a great location in some stunning country side. The hotel staff were willing and the golf staff friendly as for the spa......the jury is still out!?

Room Tip: Try for a room that over looks the golf course.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JayandSuz
JayandSuz
Thank you for your post following your stay at Hellidon, I am sure the jury will be swayed on your next visit when we have given the spa a facelift.
I was pleased that you generally enjoyed your stay and that you enjoyed the golf, I think your post sums up the course, fun but challenging. We hope to see you again at Hellidon to master the course and enjoy the new facilities.
Saltash, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2012

A very good quality hotel that was in an excellent location.

Perfect for both business or pleasure. The hotel was very quiet with no outside noise, it is surrounded by a golf course. The room was great, I was upgraded with out being asked at no extra cost. Food was good value and good quality, both room service and breakfast.

At £75 for room and breakfast I believe excellent value and much much better than all the hotels I usually stay in when working in London!

Would defiantly look to use this group of hotels again.

Room Tip: Go for the Superior rooms, good value for money.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
redltcdr
Thank you for your review and I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us that we have converted you into a fan of QHotels now. I trust we were able to get you signed up to our breakaway membership scheme so you now get massive discounts off our hotels?
Once again thank you for your post and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.
Northampton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2012

The girls in the spa make it clear the do not want to be there. I was waiting 20 minutes after my treatment was supposed to have started before anyone told me that the therapist who was doing it hadn’t bothered to turn up for her shift. When she got there 40 minutes after my treatment was supposed to start she just sat behind the desk ignored me and complained to another member of staff that she was not on the rota for today.

I then had a call from the Spa supervisor Tara who offered me a complimentary treatment for my trouble. She had left this in a voicemail as I was at work. I tried to call back several times and my call was never answered and my voicemails never returned.

Its a shame because Chesford Grange is the complete opposite. the staff couldn't do more to help at my mother in laws hen do and went out of their way to make it brilliant!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Carmel87
Carmel87
Thank you for your post and indeed your letter to our head office and I believe that this issue is now resolved. I will not go into the ins and outs on here but I am pleased that Tara finally was able to get in touch with you to resolve.
Chris Steadman
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hellidon
Chesford Grange - A QHotel
#5 of 28 in Stratford-upon-Avon
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,973 reviews
De Vere Staverton Estate
Mercure Daventry Court Hotel and Spa

Been to Hellidon Lakes Golf & Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!