“Golf break for 26”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hellidon
Newbury, United Kingdom
“Golf break for 26”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We have just come back from our annual Inter-Establishment tournament that we played this year at Hellidon Lakes. The golf course, food and service was all great. The room was a bit warm at night and the bathroom was a bit tired looking. Overall all 26 of us had a very good time.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Christophe G, General Manager at Hellidon Lakes Golf & Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review, and for your constructive and positive feedback. I am delighted that you had a really good time and hope that you will make the most of our special offer to re book for next year.
Christophe Gitton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I stayed at Hellidon Lakes back in May and had organised a weekend there for my friends hen party. There was only to be six of us so it was not going to get rowdy and we were primarily there for the spa. I found the hotel with no problems at all and parking was adequate. I had been told that I wouldn't be able to check into our room until 3pm but when I approached the extremely friendly receptionist he said that the room was in fact ready for us and we could check in there and then, which was perfect as I had so much stuff to organise and the receptionist even called someone to help me carry all my bags from the car to the room! We went down to the spa where we confirmed our treatments and were kindly shown around. The spa are is not big or spacious so don't expect too much! It was however perfect for us. Our treatments were lovely! With each of falling asleep through pure relaxation. The lunch (included in our spa packages) was beautifully laid out and all really, really fresh. Later in the afternoon we had some drinks at the bar, went to play bowling! This was an added addition to our stay and made it all the more fun! That evening we enjoyed a delicious three course meal with excellent service. There was a wedding going on in the bar area so instead we took some drinks to the room. We all had a fantastic nights sleep and went to breakfast in the morning. The breakfast was plentiful indeed and even though a buffet it was continuously refreshed and really yummy! The hotel is very clean throughout, even in the spa and the service is excellent. We checked out of our room and then carried on using the spa facilities for the rest of the day which was just what we needed after the amount of wine consumed that evening! My friend and I have since discussed organising a spa/golf weekend with our partners there in the near future as it seemed a very popular golf resort too! Can't really fault this hotel, it was a brilliant weekend!

Room Tip: We had a family room with two double beds in, it was very comfortable and spacious
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Victoria M
Christophe G, General Manager at Hellidon Lakes Golf & Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am delighted that you had such an excellent time during your Spa break and already planning your next visit with your partners. Indeed we have some great facilities and the bowling is really something unique, the whole team was thrilled to read your comments and very pleased that you had a relaxing time. Indeed the hotel is easy to find and really accessible but benefits from some stunning views and a lovely remote location.
We have some great packages available including Golf and Spa, please visit our Website.
Cardiff, Wales
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We have just come back from a weekend to celebrate my parents-in-law 40th wedding anniversary. There were 8 of us and we were keen for it to a be a memorable occasion for them.
I had told the staff it was their Ruby Anniversary when I booked the room and dinner. When they arrived, the staff wished them a happy anniversary and there were chocolates and a card from the hotel in their room which was a lovely start to the weekend and they were very touched.
I am hopeless with names but the lady who checked us in on Reception was very efficient, friendly and helpful. Special thanks also to the Restaurant supervisor who was great and sorted out ten pin bowling for us at short notice. They had decorated the table for dinner and given us a beautiful table by the window with a stunning view so it was perfect.
The fact that all the staff went that extra mile and made the weekend so special was really appreciated. Rooms were spacious and comfortable.
We used the swimming pool and spa facilities on both days and yes, I agree with some of the other reviewers the changing rooms really need a good overhaul and carpet on the floor is a terrible idea! However, we just enjoyed the time together and made the most of it. The boys played golf and really enjoyed the course, and a good time was had by all. My 7 year old actually cried when we left as she just didn't want to go home!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review, and for your fantastic feedback. I am delighted that the team made this very special occasion a memorable one. Indeed we have plenty to do here and something for everyone, and the Golf course is really looking good, we are also continuously updating the changing room. How sad was it to read that your daughter cried because she did not want to leave, you will have to visit us again very soon as we don’t like to see our little guests unhappy!
Milton keynes
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Such a lovely place, great value for money with lovely staff.
Recommend this hotel to anybody.
Stayed in a twin room opting for an overnight spa weekend package. Already planning my next visit.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Melissaj79
Christophe G, General Manager at Hellidon Lakes Golf & Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am delighted that you had such a great time during your Spa break and already planning your next visit.
We always have some great packages available, please visit our Website.
Bury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I booked two rooms at this hotel for my nieces wedding. Our room was very small and had views of a courtyard. My sons room had a mound of grass outside and was very dingy. No view at all just the hill of grass. At breakfast we were asked our names and shown to the food and were left to seat ourselves not knowing that the wedding breakfast was in a separate room. Missed saying bye to everybody. Very disappointing experience. Very expensive for poor rooms and service

Room Tip: Ask for view not sure whether this will be applied
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nomad10000000
Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review, and for your constructive feedback. Please accept my apologies if the view from your bedrooms was not one of the countryside, we have a great choice of bedrooms, do not hesitate to contact me prior to your next stay and I will make sure that a different one is allocated. I will also raise your comment with my Restaurant Manager as indeed we normally allocated specific tables for the weddings guests so they can spend their breakfast together. I hope that otherwise you had a great day us.
Christophe Gitton

Travellers are raving about these Hellidon hotels

London
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Stayed at this hotel with group of ladies as a two night golf break and would highly recommend it. Customer service was excellent especially Celso Costa on reception who put himself out to help at every opportunity. My only criticism would be they need more bar staff to help out in order to save wait time.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Christophe G, General Manager at Hellidon Lakes Golf & Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am very pleased that your Golf Break was so enjoyable, thank you for your nice comment too about the service and the team, they were delighted to read it. I have noticed your constructive feedback and will deal with this too. I hope that we will have the pleasure to host your next break. We always have some great packages available, please visit our Website.
Huntingdon, Cambs
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I stayed 22-23 June as part of a golfing party, dinner, bed and breakfast with two rounds of golf. Whatever anyone says, it is value for money. The golf course was in excelent condition and is a good test whatever your handicap. The hotel itself has improved since my last stay and as continual improvement is ongoing they were even painting the ceiling in the walkway from reception. The bedroom was very stuffy, even with the windows opened the small distance available but his may be due to the weather than the hotel! The staf were generally efficient and helpfull, especially the lady who managed to catch the field mouse in the dining room at breakfast and release it outside. It is a bit concerning that livestock managed to get in, especially where food is displayed.

Room Tip: Overlooking the golf course if you can get one!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Christophe G, General Manager at Hellidon Lakes Golf & Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for your great comments. I am delighted that you had a very enjoyable Golf break and noticed some improvements since your last visit. Indeed we are continuously improving the hotel, the last programme included the Leisure and Spa facilities. I agree with you the course is really looking good and can be enjoyed by all level of golfers. We are in the countryside with 220 acres of land around us and even if I have never seen it in the hotel previously also surrounded by a lot of wildlife, please assure that we have all the measures in place to control this. I even had a pheasant landing on the terrace last week.
Christophe Gitton
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hellidon
Chesford Grange - A QHotel
#5 of 28 in Stratford-upon-Avon
Fawsley Hall Hotel & Spa
Mercure Daventry Court Hotel and Spa
De Vere Staverton Estate

Been to Hellidon Lakes Golf & Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!