“Very relaxing day”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hellidon
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Very relaxing day”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

I was given a spa experience day for 2 for my birthday from my partner and decided to take a good friend with me. The hotel was a little difficult to find but once there we found ample parking.
Once inside at reception we were greeted with a friendly face and directed to the spa within the hotel. At the reception to the spa, a gentleman showed us to the treatment rooms. The girls there were very friendly and welcoming and put us at ease. We had both opted for a pedicure and toe nail polish which we had side by side in a double treatment room. It was a lovely relaxed atmosphere and we all chatted easily while our treatments were being done.
After this we were shown all the rest of the facilities at the spa before being shown to the terrace bar where we had complimentary coffees and Danish pastries to ensure our nails were completely dry before hitting the pool. The ladies changing area was lively and warm and very clean, with showers, hair dryers, lots of lockers and mirrors. The only downside was that there were no private changing cubicles which did make me feel a bit uncomfortable but as there was no-one in there but the two of us, it wasn't too bad. We then used the sauna, the jacuzzi and the pool for a good couple of hours and relaxed on the loungers. We both wished we'd taken books so that we could relax longer with something to read. We then showered and dressed and went back to the terrace bar where we had a lovely lunch. I say lunch but it was 3pm by this time! Nothing special, just sandwiches but they were fresh, served quickly and delicious with a salad garnish and handful of crisps. There were lots of other choices on the menu ther than sandwiches though. The views over the countryside and golf course were superb.
Overall a very enjoyable day, in beautiful surroundings and everyone we encountered was very friendly and welcoming.

Room Tip: Didn't stay the night so can't comment.
Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
TomReeve, Manager at Hellidon Lakes Golf & Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 30 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive and detailed review. I am delighted that you and your friend enjoyed your Birthday treat at Hellidon Lakes. I will personally ensure that your kind comments are passed directly to the team, Please keep your eye on our Web site for our latest offer, we have some great deals at the moment which I’m sure you wouldn't want to miss out on...

I look forward to welcoming you back to Hellidon Lakes in the future,

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
Bristol
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We had stayed at this hotel before and enjoyed it very much. Setting is lovely, especially if you play golf. However, on this occasion the things that went wrong partially spoiled the experience, to the extent we will not stay again.

Firstly, our room was not ready on time (check in time specified by the hotel) and we had to wait 20 minutes. When I asked why I was told it was because they were full and therefore very busy. I found this an unacceptable response. We had a suite which was really impressive and enjoyable although the room was extremely hot (it was in the heat wave in July) and the fan supplied did not work (although this was replaced when requested).

The breakfast was good but dinner mediocre. In addition all the dining rooms chairs needed a clean as they had months of dust on them. We also ordered coffee in the bar but the order was forgotten and we had to chase.

The staff are obviously well trained and make you feel welcome. However if anything goes wrong there is a lack of initiative. I did raise my concerns with the Manager and he responded immediately as well as sending an email.

Next time we are in the area we will stay elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
TomReeve, Manager at Hellidon Lakes Golf & Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 23 August 2014
Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience on Trip Advisor, we value all guests feedback and your comments have been taken seriously. I am sorry that your experience was overshadowed by the problems detailed in your review, I appreciate how these issues would have affected your enjoyment and for this I am truly sorry. I am delighted that you found the staffs to be friendly and welcoming, I am also pleased that when you raised your concerns with the Duty Manager immediate action was taken.

I do hope you will choose to join us again,

Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We stayed here for two nights and were disappointed at the state of our room after paying a fair price for the weekend.
There was wallpaper peeling from the wall next to the bed, a large crack in the sink and the rooms were extremely hot with only a fan to use and no air conditioning. The outside of the hotel and reception are lovely, but bedrooms do not appear to be to a 4* standard.
Breakfast was good and hotel staff were friendly and helpful but we did not feel we got our moneys worth from our stay and would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

1 Thank sarah h
TomReeve, Manager at Hellidon Lakes Golf & Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear Guest, Thank you for your review and honest feedback, I am sorry that your overall expectations were not met on this occasion,.
I will address the issues you have identified to ensure that the standard of our accommodation is consistent throughout the Hotel. I am pleased that you were well looked after by the staffs and that you enjoyed our Breakfast offering.

Thank you once again for your feedback,

Best Regards,

Operations Manager

Travellers are raving about these Hellidon hotels

Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Having been very impressed at a previous stay at this hotel, and subsequently recommended to other family members who were also impressed, my husband, Son and I decided to treat ourselves to a midweek break here in August 2014. Firstly I cannot fault the restaurant, the buffet breakfast choice is excellent, something for everyone, and we also ate in the restaurant on our second night, during which we were waited on by Juan, who was very pleasant and helpful. The family room was a good size with 2 double beds and lovely views across the golf course and lake, although I have to be honest, last time we stayed in the superior family room, which had a definite wow factor, this time we opted for the standard family room, and there was a noticeable difference. The bathroom was quite dated and had a defective (but usable) shower head, and was not nearly as nice and modern as the shower room we had in a well known budget hotel the previous night on our way to this hotel. Everything you need and clean, but just basic. Also, no water as standard in the rooms, again this was provided FOC at the budget hotel we had stayed in the previous night. Onto the negatives, the information booklets provided in the rooms are inaccurate. Based on our experience, there are 2 bars and 1 restaurant. On our first night we wanted to dine in the bar overlooking the golf course as we had done on our previous stay. The booklet said this bar was closed in winter but open in summer from 0800 till late. We duly arrived to be told by the manager in the other bar that the area was closed off, with no real explanation why. Whilst there was bar food available in the other bar area ( which is where we ate) this area is ill equipped for the type of food served. The food is lovely, but the room lacks the table space to eat off, with only a minimal number of small circular bar tables provided which resulted in us balancing our plates and slates on the edge to eat! Further to that, the swimming pool times state that the pool is available for use by children between 0900 and 1100am. So having promised my son that we could go for a swim, we turned up at the leisure desk at 0945 to be told that an aqua class would be running from 1000 until 1100! There was no mention of this in n the book. The final issue I experienced was trying to contact the hotel, having left for the day and wanting to book a table for an evening meal in the restaurant. I was greeted with an answerphone, and could not seem to contact anyone using the direct line number given on the website. I did not want to make a booking for a reservation, or using the spa, I just wanted to speak to someone on reception. Now to be truthful, neither of these issues would put me off staying again, the hotel itself is very clean, all the staff are friendly and helpful, and it is in beautiful surroundings. But I do think in a 4* hotel you should have up to date information booklets, a direct contact number for a receptionist, and suitable facilities to serve bar food.

Room Tip: There is a big difference between the superior rooms and the standard rooms, so if luxury is what yo...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience on Trip Advisor, I am pleased that you enjoyed your overall experience and that you were well looked after by the team in the Restaurant. Your positive comments regarding food quality and service have been passed on to the Head Chef and the Restaurant and Lounge Manager.

I am sorry and naturally disappointed that your stay on this occasion was not in line with your previous experience. I will personally ensure that the points you have raised are addressed where possible.

I do hope you will choose to join us again, it would give me great pleasure to welcome you back to Hellidon Lakes in the future,

Best regards

Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2014

My experiences of Hellidon Lakes are very similar to other reviews I have read.
The staff are all excellent, and the food in the restaurant is very good. The hotel is kept clean and tidy, and our room was lovely. But the leisure area is a disappointment. It is all clean, but is very dated and really needs a make-over. When you are going for a spa/leisure weekend break it is a real shame that the place where you may spend most of your time is like that.
The spa itself is very nice, and the treatments are excellent.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor, your balanced feedback has been well received and will be passed on to the team.

We will continue to update our Leisure and Spa Facilities as we have been over the last 12 months, due to the size of the project we have been carrying out works in phases.

I am pleased that you were well looked after by the team and that you enjoyed your meals in the restaurant, I do hope you will return to Hellidon Lakes based on your overall experience,

Thank you once again for your feedback

Lincoln
Reviewed 14 August 2014

We stayed here for the duration of the nearby Cropredy Festival (I only camp in survival situations). This is a well-appointed hotel in attractive surroundings. The staff were friendly and helpful, the rooms clean, spacious and comfortable and the breakfast buffet generous and flexibly timed. We tried the nature walk around the grounds - a beautiful bit of real estate but be aware that the medium 'yellow' trail is blocked by nettles and deadfall. My only real criticism is that the rooms are very stuffy and hard to cool on a hot, humid day. While portable coolers are provided, there is no integral air-con and the design doesn't promote the through-flow of air. On balance, exceptional value for the keen price we paid well in advance on a hotel search site.

Room Tip: Rooms on west side of hotel face into a raised bank - you can still see some foliage, but east side...
1 Thank GSmudger
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience on Trip Advisor, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were able to take advantage of one of our great deals.

Your comments regarding Air Conditioning have been noted, we have had some exceptionally hot weather recently that has posed challenging for many Hotels that are not fully air-conditioned.

I do hope you will choose to join us again, maybe for next years Crop Ready Festival!!

West Midlands
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We returned to Hellidon Lakes for the first time in 8 years since we married there on 16.09.06....this time with 2 small children in tow!!

We were given a good deal for 2 interjoining rooms, meaning we could have the children in one room, and not worry about walking on eggshells from 7pm! The staff could not have been more friendly....always saying hello even when passing in corridors. A special mention to the reception at the health club, the gent behind the reception was kind enough to lend us 2 £1 coins for the lockers, saving a 6 year old from being extremely disappointed if he could not have swum!

Only downside was the length of time we had to wait in the terrace bar for hot food! The lady did say they had run out and were having to make the food fresh, but a 45 min wait grew a little tiresome with a 6 year old and 7 month old to keep entertained.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Caroline1979
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on Trip Advisor, we value all guests feedback and your comments have been passed on to the team.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the Team went the extra mile to ensure you were well looked after. I will investigate your comets’ regarding the slow service in the Terrace Bar, I hope that on this occasion you are able to accept my apologies and reassurance that this will be addressed.

I hope you will return to Hellidon Lakes in the future, it would give me great pleasure to welcome you back to the Hotel,

Operations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hellidon
Chesford Grange - A QHotel
#5 of 27 in Stratford-upon-Avon
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,013 reviews
De Vere Staverton Estate
Mercure Daventry Court Hotel and Spa

Been to Hellidon Lakes Golf & Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!