Resort Martino Boutique Hotel & Spa
Hotel Colinas del Sol(Atenas)(Great Value!)
US$67
  • Spa
US$103
US$100
  • Pool
All reviewssan josecosta ricaclose to the airportzoo aveitalian foodbeautiful poolpoas volcanostaff was very friendly and helpfulold world charmcredit cardeuropean feellots of fresh fruitsitting areala focacciadouble checkplenty of lounge chairsdefinitely stay here again
Reviewed 9 December 2013

my friend and I stayed here 1 night awaiting the beginning of a tour. The good: beautiful grounds, nice big room, The Bad: NO hot water for showers or just washing up, the grounds are extensive but need more maintenance (weeds abound in some areas and some walkways are missing bricks, etc.) The Just OK: restaurant was a bit pricey since I did not find the food all that special, the 'free' breakfast 'menu' listed some items that had to be requested (tea, yogurt, etc.) This is an OK hotel to stay in esp. if you want to see the 'bird zoo', but if you are looking for luxury, try a different place.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Highlights:
Beautiful property
Friendly staff

Lowlights:
Bugs in the room
Bar service was very slow
Food quality - average
Proximity to modern restaurants (your own vehicle or taxi is needed for transport)
Equipment in the gym is at least 15 years old and 2 out of 3 treadmills were not working

Recommendations:
Research ahead of time restaurants that you want to visit in the area
Bring your own pest control items
Set your expectations to a budget like hotel

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Hello everybody, I just want to say thank you a lot, we enjoy our experience at the hotel, amazing pool, the food and treatment at the restaurant incredible.

Next time I will try to stay longer, this was my first experience in Costa Rica, ... for sure I will come back, "Pura Vida Ticos" wow.

regards
Tom & Michelle from Virginia

Room Tip: Just walk to zoo ave, is just a cross the street... you will love it
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 June 2013

We found this hotel on Expedia as a last minute deal because we got to Costa Rica a couple of days earlier than when our time share in Jaco started. It looked beautiful and it was! In it's day it was probably a 4 or 5 star--now more like a 3 1/2 star. It cost us $20 in a cab fare from the San Jose Airport. The room was spacious with a beautiful covered patio with two leather rockers and a glass toped table overlooking the beautiful pool (very Costa Rican looking). The room and grounds were so quiet we almost felt we were the only ones there at times. It was so beautiful with green and flowers it was like a quiet retreat! There was beautiful wood every where, including beamed ceilings, stairways and trim. The room rate included a full breakfast out on another fantastic balcony. The first course was fresh fruit, breads and sweet bread, then they took orders for eggs and meat. Excellent! The grounds are very tropical and walking around was gorgeous! We saw a huge iguana (bigger than our schnauzer) and a turtle (also bigger than a small dog). It is remote! So if you don't have a car, walking somewhere might not be an option as it is on a very busy two lane street and didn't appear to be close to anything. We walked for several blocks to see if we could spot anything and saw some beautiful homes. As we left (in the opposite direction of our walk) we did notice a little market. We didn't try the restaurant for lunch or dinner. We ordered room service and the food from the restaurant was excellent! It was mostly Italian--and excellent--not too expensive. The pool was beautiful and very quiet. Overall, it was beautiful and a nice addition to our Costa Rican get-a-way. There was a complete spa and gym. We went and looked at them but did not use them. They looked great!

Room Tip: Overlooking the pool, 2nd floor gives a great view of the grounds and has a fantastic balcony.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
adriano_martino, Director General at Resort Martino Boutique Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2013

Thank you a lot for take some time and share your experience with us, Our staff works endlessly to provide outstanding guest service and keep our resort on excellent conditions, your kind words confirm their efforts and make us work hard to satisfy our guests. We are humbled to have you as a loyal guest and look forward to continuing to welcome you back to our Resort.

regards

Reviewed 20 April 2013

My husband and I visited the hotel this year. At first we really liked it - big rooms, everything from wood, big pool. Sadly most of the big trees are cut, which makes no sense but anyways..
After we switched our first room, because of no warm water, we were suited into another one.

Our biggest problem were the rats in the sealing, which were so loud, that we could not sleep at all - we were staying at a room on the second floor, right under the roof.
The restaurant is nothing special - the food was not so delicious and the service - no comment.. I have to say that this was the only place in CR where I felt discriminated for being a woman- the one waiter would ask only my husband if he needs something to eat/drink etc. I asked the same waiter to bring me a new wine glas, since the one I had was dirty. I dont know if he was lazy or didnt take me serious, but he came back with the same dirty glas, probably before that wiped it with his dirty cloth..

My appologize, I dont mean to be rude but there is no way that Martinos is a 5 stars hotel and there are deffinately better options for staying closer to the Juan Santamaria airport.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Angela S

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us a review of your recent stay with us. We truly value guest feedback as it allows us to take a step back and reevaluate some of the practices here.

We would like to take this time to sincerely apologize for the shortfalls that you experienced during your stay with us. Our team works very hard to provide great value.

We truly hope that on your next visit, you will return with us, so we can show you the standard of service we provide our guests and show you that your experience was absolutely not the norm here at our property.