“Really lovely hotel ”

Lough Allen Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Drumshanbo
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

I bought a Groupon deal for myself and my partner. This included 2 nights b&b and a treatment each in the spa. On arrival the staff where brilliant. We paid for an upgrade to a suite and while it could do with a lick of paint and a window fixed, it was very impressive. The hotel was warm and welcoming with beautiful views! Not much else around but if you like a walk thrres beautiful surroundings and if you have a car there's plenty of countryside to explore.

We really enjoyed the food. The breakfast was basic but nice and the restaurant was slower than the bar (but most are) and the food was more than plentiful. Bar food is definitely better value.

We didnt use the pool, but they expext you to wear a shower cap and the jacuzzi is outside... not very appealing. But the massages in the spa were to die for.

Over all this was an amazing retreat. And while we were alone this time, when we go back we will bring the kids :)

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Deirdre M
There are newer reviews for Lough Allen Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend booked a weekend away to this hotel in groupon. Upon arrival we commented that the place was probably top class when it was built but with further investigation we found out it is not long out of liquidation hence it's need for an update. The hotel reception staff were very friendly and pleasant. Our room was nice and clean and comfortable but perhaps the double bed was quite small and the TV picture was awful. We ate in the hotel one evening and the food was lovely and the atmosphere was nice and relaxed. I went to the spa and had treatments which were fabulous I must say and again the staff friendly. All in all we had a pleasant stay and would return but with a bit of TLC this hotel could be a gem!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bubbles1988
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I booked a groupon offer for 2 nights B&B at the Lough Allen Hotel. At £79 for 2 people, it wasn't expensive. Upon arrival, we were upgraded to a suite, as the Hotel didn't have any double rooms ready. The suite was large enough, a bit old and tired and I'm glad I hadn't paid to stay in it. Dinner on the first night was in the Bar, which was fine. Breakfast the next morning in the Restaurante was also fine, although perhaps a bit chaotic due to the volume of people and what appeared to be a lack of staff. We visited the Restaurant on the 2nd night of our stay and received what I can only describe as the worst food I have ever been served. I had scallops that came swimming on a bed of apple puree with a half slice of black pudding. My partner had Goats cheese with Beetroot which was fine. Main courses were Sirloin with Pepper Sauce and Duck. The steak was overcooked, served with onion rings that had been bought in frozen and an ok sauce. The duck breast was served with half orange slices and tasted of pretty much nothing. Service was difficult to find, as 1 waiter was trying to serve the 5 tables on his own. Breakfast the next morning was an absolute joke, as the buffet supply of sausages, bacon, black and white pudding were all exhausted on 2 or 3 occasions and there was a significant delay before they were replenished. Eggs ran out 4 times and I gave up on hoping to get one! The Hotel have gone to the trouble of providing comment slips in the room, as they "value customer comments". I completed this and also indicated what I thought about dinner. I provided a contact number and an email address, but almost 2 weeks have elapsed and I have yet to hear from anyone at the Hotel. I made the mistake of paying for poorly cooked below average food obviously prepared by a chef who trained in the 1980s and either doesn't care what food they serve or doesn't know any better. I won't be at the Lough Allen Hotel again and hope that the management of the establishment don't think that by ignoring genuine customer complaints, that there will always be more customers available. They were advertising a Fawlty Towers night during my stay. I'm not sure why they would go to the trouble of organising one specially, as the Hotel already host a Fawlty Towers theme regularly!

6  Thank Colin B
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Had a great week-end at the Lough Allen. A little oasis of calm in a beautiful setting. As posted elsewhere there are elements of the hotel that could do with updating, the balconies for example and there is no real TV reception, but everything else was great. There were several functions on at the hotel but the service was still very good and efficient. Staff are lovely and a special mention for Paddy-Joe the barman! Ate in the restaurant first night and the bar on the second night. Food, and service were excellent in both. Breakfast buffet was really nice and there was plenty of it.

I found the room to be very spacious and we had a lovely Queen size bed. Despite the functions in the hotel the room was so quiet and I haven't slept so well in ages! The hotel is also a good base for exploring the area and we visited Carrick-on Shannon and Sligo. Enjoyed a lovely hour long cruise on the "Lake Isle of Inisfree" as well. Would recommed this hotel and will be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the Lough.
3  Thank DerryChristy21
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Just home from a great weekend at the Lough Allen Hotel. I had read the reviews before going and did get a surprise when I got there.
As we drove in, down the drive full of potholes, I did wonder what I was letting us in for. After passing two blocks of disused apartments we came to the hotel. In reception we were warmly welcomed and given directions to our room. Our room was very spacious but had the smallest double bed I've ever seen in a hotel. Room was clean but needed very much to be updated. Curtains rather faded and bed linen threadbare in places. The television was ancient and had sound and no picture, we didn't mind this as we don't really watch television when away. There was no room safe. Toiletries were minimal, no body lotion or shower caps.
The hotel was very busy. They had a function on in the function room and also lots of folk had arrived for a vintage car run being held on the Sunday. With this in mind we decided to dine early. There was a great menu and food arrived quick and was excellent. We enjoyed the evening entertainment and there was a good atmosphere in the bar area.
After a good sleep we enjoyed breakfast. Staff very attentive. Breakfast selection average. (Wonky toaster like most hotels!)
We enjoyed watching the vintage cars leave the hotel (around 170). We then took a trip to Carrick on Shannon and had lunch.
Leisure facilities at the hotel were excellent. Good sized pool and lovely hot tub. Very few in the pool and so able to get a decent swim.
As we enjoyed the bar food the first night we decided to eat in the bar again only this time service was to let them down. Our waiter remembered our drink order from the night before and so we were impressed. He took our food order and then we waited and waited. After 50 minutes the waiter noticed we were still without food he made enquires and came and told us there had been a mix up in the kitchen and offered us free deserts and drinks. We still waited a further 20 minutes for our food (good job we hadn't ordered steak:-) ) Food was good when it did arrive.
We did enjoy our stay but would rate this hotel as 3 star and would recommend it as a good 3 star hotel. We probably will return but do hope the management take our points on board.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that they advertise on their site.
1  Thank CatherineAnnCrossgar
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

I enjoyed a day here with my mum, we had a back massage & facial for only €39, relaxed in the outdoor hot tub, sauna & steam room, followed by a delicious lunch in the bar & a walk around the lake..beautiful place!

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank TaraKilleen
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Just back from a short break in the Lough Allen Hotel, its a really lovely hotel set by a lake just minutes from a pretty village called Drumshanbo.
We were both in need of some down time and this hotel ticked all the boxes for us. We were greeted in Reception by one of the friendliest receptionists ever, Bernie was super efficient at her job and yet had the time to chat and tell us of all the hotels amenities .
The hotel as I said is set on a lake with some lovely walks close by. The bar was quite large with some attractive window seats whereby you could watch the boats on the lake. There was a terrace immediately off the bar, but the weather was not warm, so we passed on this option.
The Bar food was excellent, well priced with a good selection. Drinks were your average hotel prices and the bar had a good selection of beers and spirits.
We had dinner on the Friday night in the hotel Restaurant, " Rushes". We sampled the special Oriental Experience Menu, it was superb, a great selection of dishes from Vietnam, Mongolia, Korea and India. beautifully cooked, interesting flavours and aromas. I would definitely recommend that menu for any foodie out there. Our bedroom was very spacious with a small balcony off it. While our bedroom did not look out over the lake, we did have a view of the countryside instead.
Two spa treatments were included on the special offer I had made my booking on and I availed of these on Saturday morning, my therapist Aisling was wonderful, I just drifted away as she worked her magic on my massage and facial. Bliss.
I really enjoyed my stay in the Lough Allen hotel, food was fabulous, great staff. nice location. I will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the lake.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Drumshanbo
Leitrim Marina Hotel
Slieve Russell Hotel Golf and Country Club
Clayton Hotel Sligo
Clayton Hotel Sligo
#6 of 8 in Sligo

Been to Lough Allen Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!