“Brilliant stay, excellent hosts”

Brown's Old Orchard Cottage
Ranked #1 of 1 Holbeck B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 August 2013

We booked a stay at Browns, Holbeck as I was having an experience day at the nearby Netherthorpe airfield. We booked based on the amazing pictures, the excellent reviews and of course the 4 poster bed. It was truly a very romantic stay, the Garden Room 1 was a lovely room and looked after very well. Joan and Robin were both excellent hosts and very welcoming. When booking, Joan recommended reserving a table at a pub called the Elm Tree and I'm glad she did as it really is an excellent place with fantastic food. When we returned, they kindly gave us an ice bucket for our bottle of wine.

The breakfast choices were incredible and the quality and service was excellent. This was a very enjoyable stay and the friendly hosts could not have done any more to make it any better.

Many thanks,
Hemant & Emma

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 August 2013

This is how a Bed & Breakfast is supposed to be. Very friendly owners, and the attribute "perfect" fits on everything: starting from the parking spaces over the park and the rooms to the breakfast. In fact we never had such a good breakfast before.

If you are searching for a quiet stay in the area north of Nottingham, this is the place to go.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 July 2013

Aside from the lovely spacious and comfortable room, the well-stocked bathroom with robes, slippers and White Company toiletries, the courtesy tray with lovely tea and coffee selection, the guests' patio area in the stunning garden and the amazing breakfasts, this place is run by one of the nicest couples you could imagine. Nothing is too much trouble and they have rightly won every award going for their lovely b&b.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 16 July 2013

If you have read the other Trip Advisor reviews for Browns you will know what to expect - stylishly decorated, well appointed rooms, charming hosts, peaceful environment, historic breakfast, proximity to School of Artisan Food etc. It's all true! Joan and Robin welcome you to their lovely part of the world with genuine warmth and go out of their way to ensure that your stay is enjoyable. We stayed in Garden Room 3 and were lucky enough to be there during some spectacular summer weather so were able to sit out on the deck and enjoy the wine we'd brought with us (and some of the things we'd made that day at the SoAF). As we'd come by train, Robin kindly drove us to and from a local pub (for far less than a taxi fare), he also dropped us off and picked us up from SoAF. As we'll be back to SoAF we'll also be returning to Browns and will be looking forward to both.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 June 2013

We have travelled all over the UK stopping in numerous hotels and B&Bs along the way and never have we rebooked before we have even checked out, but with this venue we wanted to make sure we could stay again as soon as possible, so we are booked in again for next month.
It surpassed ALL expectation. Such a peaceful place to unwind and relax and the attention to little details in the room were lovely. Wished we could have stayed for a whole week.
The local pub Joan and Robin recommended for food, Elm Tree was also amazing. We highly recommend the award winning burger and fillet and have also rebooked a table when we are back at Brown's.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tiggertiggertigger
Reviewed 26 May 2013

Had a wonderful surprise when I arrived at Brown's B&B. Nestled just off a small rarely traveled road, is the picturesque cottage and garden. I was warmly greeted at my car and shown to my room, which was separate from the main cottage, in the beautifully converted cow shed. My accommodation consisted of a entrance area, large airy bedroom (with 4 poster bed), and a spacious bathroom. Everything was immaculately clean, and welcoming. Robes and slippers on the bed, White Company bath and body products, biscuits and an assortment of chocolates and sweets were unexpected, delightful extra's. Outside the room was a large deck area with tables and chairs which, had it been sunny would have been the perfect place to linger over your morning coffee, or a glass of wine. After a good nights sleep I tucked into a exceptional breakfast. I ordered the eggs Benedict, which turned out to be made from local eggs. The Hollandaise sauce was perfect, the eggs rich in flavour, and the smoked salmon was excellent. And if this was not enough there was cereal, yogurt, fruit, toast and jams on offer. I could not praise Joan and Robin highly enough for their friendly and welcoming manner. They even booked a table for me at the near by Elm Tree pub for my evening meal. The only negative comment I could possibly make is that one night is not long enough to get the full enjoyment of a stay at Brown's B&B. I am looking forward to taking another course at The School of Artisan Food, so I can return to Brown's B&B, and it will definitely be for longer.

Room Tip: All rooms are separate from the main cottage, and provide spacious, private accommodation in a quiet...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 May 2013

Just returned from a 2 night stay at this wonderful B&B. Joan made us very welcome on arrival and our fabulous room was nice and warm with an electric fire on standby if we needed it, and it was very cold outside. We have stayed in some establishments where the room being cold has been an issue! We were in Garden Room No3. It was beautiful. Lots of pillows and cushions and the bed was extremely comfortable. Nice touches like plenty of choice of tea and coffee and lots of different biscuits. Also bottled water and sweets! Joan also insisted on us having a flask of fresh milk every day for our drinks which was lovely. The breakfast on both mornings was delicious and served up so beautifully I thought I was in a 5* restaraunt. We were served at our table with fresh fruit juice and cereal before the main course. Everything was served up so professionally and nothing was too much trouble. Both Joan and Robin are brilliant hosts and I would definately recommend this B&B to anybody.

Room Tip: I spoke to other guests and they all said that their rooms were lovely
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Been to Brown's Old Orchard Cottage? Share your experiences!