Horizon Village and Resort
US$218
US$180
Agoda.com
Baan Chai Thung(Doi Saket)
US$68
US$55
Dao Retreat(Doi Saket)
US$105
Agoda.com
Asia Hotels Group - Poonpetch Chiangmai(Chiang Mai)(Great Value!)
US$32
US$30
US$129
US$86
  • Breakfast included
Harmonize Hotel(Chiang Mai)
De KRIYA(Chiang Mai)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsbotanical gardensmini zoofree shuttlenight marketchiang maibeautiful groundsmeeting roomhot air balloonthe general managercoffee shopbeautiful placesalt watershuttle servicerooms are spaciousget awayfood is excellentcity life
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 March 2012

I stayed for a week in the Horizon Village and Resort while on a business trip. The rooms are beautiful and my terrace opened onto a view of the next door botanical gardens. It's a quiet and peaceful spot, and the gardens are great for walking round or in my case running around first thing. The resort is attractive. I only had breakfast in the hotel but it was good. Be aware that it is quite a way from the city centre - allow 30 minutes transit each way. However the Resort does provide transport as part of your stay. And for me being away from the pollution that can afflict the centre of Chiang Mai made the travelling worth it. I did put some laundry in and, although marking an item for dry cleaning, it came back having been washed, with the dry cleaning part of the laundry list crossed out. My top survived, but a more delicate item may not have. And one of our part did have a problem with check out. There was only one laundry bag in her room and one dressing gown (instead of two) and the staff on reception took some convincing that my friend hadn't stolen them.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank DennisinkCrew
Reviewed 4 March 2012

This is one of the most beautiful places in the Chiang Mai area. It is amazing to me that it is not more well known. FYI, I did not stay at the hotel here but rather ate lunch with friends and then went for a bike tour of the flower gardens. This rivals the Chiang Mai zoo, it's a great outing for the whole family. We went in a group of four and all of us said it was one of the nicest places we had been in Chiang Mai. It is on the way to Doi Sakhet so a suggested itinerary is to arrive here at lunchtime, eat, take a tour of the grounds, and go on to Doi Sakhet in the late afternoon.

At most hotels the food is not so tasty and expensive, here it was the opposite: delicious and inexpensive. They had a wide variety of Thai and Western cuisine and I had the ostrich with mushroom sauce, great!

What is so striking about this place are the grounds. You are only 15-20 minutes away from the city center by motorbike but you feel as if you are in an isolated forest enclave. They maintain the grounds immaculately and they have kilometers of flowers and plants to explore by foot or bicycle. There are cacti, plants indigenous to the area, and from all over the world. The staff is very friendly. It's 80 baht to get in and then 30 baht to rent a bicycle, well worth it!

I understand they have a 160 baht buffet brunch on Saturdays and Sundays 11 AM - 2 PM that includes entrance fee. We didn't do this as we arrived too late but we may go back sometime for the brunch.

Highly recommended!!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank Mavec41
Reviewed 2 March 2012

I spent 3 weeks backpacking through Thailand (mostly solo) but did meet up with family and stayed at Horizon for 3 days near the beginning of my trip. The price was quite high, especially considering the distance from the city. The rooms are spacious and the grounds are quite nice and are attached to the Botanical Gardens. However, I quickly discovered several issues.

- There were rats or rodents of some sort in the ceiling that kept me awake the first night. I was able to switch to a room in the newer section that was fortunately rodent-free. I did not experience this issue in any of the other less expensive (150-500 bhat/night) places I stayed.

- There are limited food/entertainment options available. I had one tasty pumpkin curry dish but the rest of it was overpriced given the quality. I did end up wandering across the highway one night and had some delicious fried rice at a little restaurant there.

- There are high priced internet and bikes available (the bikes rent for 60bhat / 2hour and cannot be taken off the property or rented by the day). Horizon advertises a free shuttle to the Night Bazaar but this fills up >24 hours in advance so when I arrived I was unable to get one for the day of arrival or the day after. Due to the difficulty with escaping the grounds and lack of anything to do here, I took the free shuttle to Chiang Mai in the morning and rented a bike there for 50 bhat/day and biked back to Horizon (the day shuttle to Chiang Mai is one-way and a taxi back would have cost ~500 bhat). On the positive side, I found a cool street market along the way with tasty fried dough (2 bhat/piece) as well as loads of fresh fruit, which I brought back with me. There are several good roadside stands and small restaurants between Horizon and Chiang Mai, but these would be too far away to comfortably walk.

I think this place could be good for families with children of couples who have no desire to leave the grounds and wish to remain relatively isolated from local culture.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Melissa H
Reviewed 24 January 2012

We arrived on new year's eve. Dinner was included in the price. Very tasty buffet.
Drinks not included. Had two cocktails with the intention to have a few more but they were as watery as water so we stuck to the safety of beer!
We had nice room right on the lake. There is a minibus to town free of charge every morning.
But it takes 30-40 minutes to get there. And 400 baht for a taxi to get back.....
So you need transfer. If you like the city, rather look for something closer.
Hotel in general very well looked after, wonderful gardens, good a la carte restaurant, nice breakfast.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank papageo
Reviewed 19 January 2012

We stayed in Horizon Village and Resort for 2 nights in January 2012. The hotel is a 20 minute drive out of Chiang Mai centre but a taxi will cost you no more than 300baht and the hotel do a free shuttle bus every night too and from the hotel for the night markets leaving the hotel at 7pm and returning at 10pm but make sure to book in advance for this. The hotel itself is amazing. The rooms are huge with plenty of natural sunlight. They are cleaned everyday. The hotel has its own Botanical gardens on site and a small zoo, this was great and will take you a full day to see all of it. They also have a lake where you can hire pedalo boats and relax in the sunshine. The breakfast included was great, a typical american breakfast buffet but plenty of choice and quite a decent quality that runs from 6.30am - 10am. The pool seems to be a suntrap for the whole day and was never very busy the whole time we stayed. We ate at the on site restaurant one night which wasnt amazing but ok for the price. Overall we would recommend this hotel to anyone, dont be put off by the location. You will be won over from the second you enter the resort.

Room Tip: We had a lake view room which was mind blowing so try and request if you can.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple