“Excellent hotel in a quiet and beautiful area”

Horizon Village and Resort
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Doi Saket
Reviewed 3 January 2014

We spent 3 days in this hotel to finish our holidays quietly after 1.5 week of circuit in Thailand. We were pleased by the beautiful gardens, the zoo and the quietness of the hotel.
Our room had a view on the lake, it was very clean and well furnished. We found the matrass a little bit too hard for our taste, but this is of course our personal opinion.
Breakfast was served on the base floor of the congress center. The choice of dishes of the breakfast buffet is a little bit small (in comparison with buffets we had known in other hotels) but various. You can have lunch and dinner à la carte in a restaurant (I don't remember it's name) beside the reception desk. There is a choice in Asian and continental dishes. The only thing which was a pity was the our dishes weren't served at the same time, which meant that my husband and I had finished eating when our daughter only got her dish. The second day we had lunch (buffet) in the congress center which was very good (more choice than at breakfast).
There are 3 swimming pools in the parc, but we only used the one behind the reception desk, which was OK.
We have used the massage service, this was 100% pure pleasure. I almost fell asleep during massage. Great !
We attended the New Years Eve party which was well organized, the buffet at this evening was various and tasty. Congratulations to the musicians who played during this evening, good choice of music and not too loud so that we still could speak with the people with whom we shared our table.
The hotel is about 30 minutes drive from the center of Chiang Mai. But good taxi service is available if you ask via reception desk. If you want to eat in another restaurant than the ones the hotel is proposing you than you will need a car as there are no restaurants in the near area of the hotel.
All employees are very kind and polite, but an improvement could be made on the level of English (in speaking and understanding) of the employees who are in direct contact with customers. Only few speak (and understand) English well.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Chalarng S, Manager at Horizon Village and Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Dear Valued guest,

On behalf of Horizon village and Tweechol botanic's staffs I would like to thank you for staying with us at this time.I hope you have had a good time with the botanical surrounding and our service. Thank you once again and hope to see you in the near future.

With respectfuly,
C Thavaravej

Reviewed 23 December 2013

Nice for family outing. Has lots of activities for young children. Nice to wake up in the morning and see swans swimming in the pond outside the balcony. Breakfast ok. Would recommend if you just want to stay in one place because it is a bit far.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Chalarng S, Manager at Horizon Village and Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 December 2013

Dear Valued guest,

Thank you so much for staying at Horizon village and resort. We are glad that our service here at horizon has been satisfied by you. Hope you come back again.Think of nice place to stay and beautiful garden please think of Horizon village and Resort and Tweechol botanic garden. It is very kind of you to express you opinion in the Trip Advisor .Look forward to seeing you once again in the future. Till we meet again.
With kind respectfully,
Thavaravej.

Reviewed 20 December 2013

We stayed here for 3 days as part of our first experience in Thailand. The hotel was wonderfully relaxing with all the staff helpful and respectful. Our room looked out over the lake at the back - we were slightly apprehensive that we may be bothered by mosquitoes but our fears were unfounded, although we did have a visitation by several large ants. The room service was superb and the food for breakfast and lunch was plentiful and varied, very reasonably priced. The little restaurant we used for our evening meals was beautifully positioned amongst the lovely foliage and croaking frogs and the food and service was second to none. The tranquility of the stay was not marred in any way by the several conferences that were taking place each day. The free drive round the park was a terrific experience and we so enjoyed our driver's singing! The topiary is gorgeous and I loved the concrete elephant display by the main restaurant, especially with the Christmas hats with which each elephant was adorned. The Christmas lights added to the magic of the warm evenings. We had a free drive from and to the airport as part of our deal and a free trip in to Chiang Mai to see around the town. We needn't have worried about how we were going to get back - we asked a Thai gentleman in the town how to get back to the hotel, whereupon he hailed a Thia bus who agreed to take us back for 500BAHT. What an interesting mode of transport that was! Great fun! The only thing we found a little disappointing was having to pay for wifi where in all the other hotels we stayed in, it was free.

Room Tip: Our room was one just by the pool. It was fine as there was hardly anyone using the pool but one nig...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank DEDW
Chalarng S, Manager at Horizon Village and Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2013

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for spending your time express your experience about our resort and the botanic garden on Trip Advisor. We try our best to service everyone and make our guests be happy.
All the comments from guests are worth it..The trees in our Botanical garden are free from pesticide ,here, we make compose and use in the garden.That is why you can hear croaking frogs ,the ants,butterflies,sawans, ducks etc.Thank you once again for being with us at Horizon village. Next time you come to Chiang Mai ,please think of Horizon village and Resort and Tweechol botanic garden.

With Respectfully,

Reviewed 13 December 2013

Horizon Village Resort is a fantastic place to relax and play. This is more than a hotel. There is a botanic garden, zoo, lakes, swimming pools, meeting facilities, and restaurants. The food is very good and service is excellent.

WI-Fi is not free, but is very reasonable.

Room Tip: Book the room with Agoda.com to get the best rate.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Chalarng S, Manager at Horizon Village and Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

Dear valued guest,

On behalf of Horizon village and Tweechol botanic's staffs I would like to thank you for staying with us at this time.I hope you have had a good time with the botanical surrounding and our service.Thank you once again and hope to see you in the near future in Chiang Mai.Wherever you
are wherever you go,whatever you do be safe and good luck to you.,
Have a good day.

With respectfully,

Reviewed 13 December 2013

The staff here are really helpful and polite. Our biggest issue was the location. We found the resort was 30mins away from the actual centre of Chiang Mai. If you want to just stay on the resort then this is perfect for you. However - If you actually want to explore Chaing Mai I'd recommend staying in the centre of Chaing Mai. The resort provided a minibus that took guests to the Night Market at 7pm and returned to the hotel at 10pm. (You have to book this in advance). The resort has its own Zoo. Gardens. Swimming pool. Playground. The resort was huge - but we found that it felt empty most of the time. We had booked the hotel for 3 nights - however after 2 nights we were ready to leave and consequently we booked another hotel in the centre of Chiang Mai. This worked out cheaper for us as we saved on taxis to and from the resort and found the centre of Chiang Mai much more convenient.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank sandirai

Dear Valued guest,

Thank you for writing your review in Trip advisor .It is an honor for all of us to have both of you to be our guest but we are sorry for an inconvenience about the distance from downtown to our resort , eventhough only 11kms. As you have said the botanic garden was quite empty,usually on the weekday it is not too crowded .(not like weekend.)Thank you once again,If there is anything that
is not satisfied,please understand and aplogize us

With respectfully,

Reviewed 10 December 2013

Our company hosted a workshop in the Horizon Village complex. What a wonderful venue. The gardens are beautiful, the hotel staff was very accommodating. Our group stayed in Horizon 2 and it was perfect. Rooms are spacious and well decorated as well as functional. Although there is a large conference center on the grounds, there is plenty of room for everyone. You can find quiet places to relax and reflect in the botanical garden as well as near your room. The meeting room that we were using was in the gardens, just a short walk from Horizon 2. This was an excellent way to enjoy the gardens going to and from meetings. The meeting room was perfect for our group, away from other distractions so we could focus on the task at hand. Looking forward to repeat meetings in the coming years.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

With respectfully

Reviewed 6 December 2013

I stayed at this hotel in the deluxe room, with breakfast. I was really looking forward to my stay here, my last respite before heading back home. The website touts itself as "tranquil" but I found otherwise on my stay.

The hotel is actually situated in a large park. Within the park is a big meetings and events space. The hotel feels like it was really designed to supply rooms for that center, rather than offer a tranquil getaway. Staff tended to be disinterested and undertrained.

The first night of my stay there was a wedding. Apparently it is the policy of the convention center that the music doesn't go off until midnight. It was really, really loud, and I had to turn on the TV to drown out the Thai techno sounds, which really killed the "tranquil" vibe I thought I was getting.

The next morning I was awoken bright and early by microphone testing for a children's program (the park also hosts large events). The receptionist told me that 800 kids showed up at 8am for this program. At about 8:15, housekeeping showed up to clean the room across from my own and graciously left their radio on, outside of my door, while they all chatted and laughed in the halls.

The next night there was another wedding, music ending at 12am. I called around 10pm to see if I could simply move to another room to sleep, and was responded with a "sorry".

When I requested a taxi they organized one for double the price that I could negotiate my own local taxi for. When I requested an airport shuttle they wanted to charge me double what their own website said.

The breakfast was not in a charming nook, but served about .25 km away in the convention center lower floor. It reminded me of an elementary school cafeteria and the limited variety of beef & noodles, soup, vienna sausage, etc., seemed to be leftovers from the wedding the night before. I wish I was kidding.

I looked under my bed before leaving and didn't find dust bunnies, but rather an entire bed-length of dust balls, clearly built up over much time.

Wi-Fi was spotty. Can only be used on one device at a time - so if you're traveling with multiple people or devices plan on paying 100 baht/day/person/device.

The staff mostly didn't speak any English, and seemed largely untrained. Service was comparable to that of a two star hotel, with exception that they carry bags upon arrival to your room.

For my lack of sleep the hotel offered a complimentary airport shuttle (250 baht/$8). I wrote back and asked for a partial refund of my stay since they clearly did not live up to any standards they sold and which I paid for, and the manager simply offered to host me on my next stay (not planning on risking that one).

Overall just be forewarned - if you have problems here they don't go out of their way to fix them. I would recommend checking out a few of the other hotels that have a better reputation.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Elizabeth G
Chalarng S, Owner at Horizon Village and Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Dear Valued guest,

On behalf of Horizon village and Tweechol botanic staff.We would like to thank you for spending your time express your opinion on Trip advisor.
We are sorry if our service was not satisfied by you. We try to do our best for service everyone or make all the guests be happy while staying at Horizon Village and Tweechol botanic garden.You may say whatever you do not like about us but please do not insult us .Thank you
once again.You do not know that I do this business with all my heart,my live, not because I want to get more money.Do not use your standard judge other people's hospitality.I think many people who have been here will judge what you have said about us right or wrong.However, thank you once again .I challenge you come back and stay once again and you will find that our service is not that bad .Think of Chiang Mai think of us.

With respectfuly,

Khum Phaya Resort & Spa, Centara Boutique Collection
Baan Chai Thung
Baan Chai Thung
#4 of 7 in Doi Saket

Been to Horizon Village and Resort? Share your experiences!