“Rude owner” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Horizon Village & Resort

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Horizon Village & Resort
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Doi Saket
Bangkok, Thailand
“Rude owner”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014

Having spent a week volunteering in a hilltribe school I was invited by the sister of the owner of this property to stay for a night at a reduced rate which I was told included transportation to/from night market and airport as it was far from town. To avoid offending anybody I accepted and was shocked when faced with a bill for an airport transfer on the morning of departure. I spoke to the owner who raised her voice over the phone (something not normally heard in Thailand) and she told me to pay it and without me saying anything said I could write anything I wanted on the internet. Either she was having a bad day or it is time she hung up her tourism shoes and handed the property over to her daughter. Pity cause the daughter and the sister were both lovely to spend time with.

It is quite some distance from Chiang Mai and whilst there is a beautiful botanical garden attached it would be more preferential to stay in town and visit the garden if it appeals to you. The resort itself is more catering to Chinese tour groups - think loud TV's in the rooms and large breakfast area with hundreds of people. Not exactly pleasant.

The ladies I was travelling with check out early given my experience and moved to a city hotel where there is a plethora of restaurant choices and shopping.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends

2 Thank kejey
Chalarng S, Owner at Horizon Village & Resort, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Dear valued guest ,
Thank you for your promptly review.I have been working in hotel business quite long and have met many people. and understand the guests very well. Sometime we experience with all kind of guest's moods and misunderstanding.I would like to inform you that the room is cost at 2,000.00Baht include breakfast(but you paid ฿1200) ,the transportation to an airport is฿500(but you paid฿400).We provide free shuttle to downtown at 11am and 7pm..The day you were here we have in house guests about 274 persons .There were thai about10 pax and chinese 6 pax. the rest were Americans, Swiss, Dutch, German and French.You mention about if we charged you for ฿ 400 transportation to an airport you will comment us in the review on the internet. I accept that with respectfully and told you to feel free to do so.I think many of my guests who read the review will judge the action .However,I would apologize if anything ,here at Horizon village and Resort , that was not satified by you at all..Hope to see you again in the future . Please do not worry because I will work here and take good care of my valued guests.
Sincerely yours,
Chalarng Sesaweech
Owner

Chalarng@gmail.com
118 Moo 7 CherngDoi Doisaket
Doisaket Chiang Mai

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Warszawa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

It is awesome. If you look for a place to recharge your batteries, enjoy nature and fast-paced attractions are not your kind of travel, this is your place. Yes, it is far from Chiang Mai (or is it really - 15kms in the direction od Doi Saket - very easy to explain). Also, the hotel has shuttle bus to the city twice a day - 11 am and 7 pm (for the Night Bazar). If taxi is needed, you can get one for reasonable price (e.g. 500 Baht for 6 hours to go to the ZOO and back). Staff is nice and friendly, massage is good (but pricey - as in a hotel).

Things to improve:
- staff's English - it is a MUST
- catering to special dietary needs - especially, since such promise was made during the booking
- food at restaurant (not breakfast - this is good).

Nevertheless - we are happy we chose the place and stayed there. We may do it again in the future.

Some tips:
- there is a local, roadside food place to the left (dir: Doi Saket) after you exit the hotel - it is something like 750 meters on the same side of the road as the hotel. A lady working there speaks quite good English. There are also ther similar places both directions, both sides of the road, but we made this one our favorite :-)
- to get to Chiang Mai, go across the street from the hotel and catch a yellow bus (pick up truck) - to go all the way down to CM will cost 20 Baht (watch out - if you start negotiating before the ride, you may end up paying more. If you simply get in and pay that, you should be fine). Just be careful crossign the road.
- the "buses" (pick up trucks) serve from early morning till something like 8 pm (return to Doi Saket) - be aware of that if you plan to return to hotel by public transport. If you miss last "bus", and don't want to pay for taxi, the best option will be to go to the Night Bazar (in front of Plaza), to catch shuttle returning to the hotel (you may want to call the hotel to check - just in case).
- grab a hotel business card from reception in case you need to explain someone where to take you if you catch taxi or other non-hotel mean of transport
- if you are stuck in Chiang Mai, with not much options to return, call the hotel to send a taxi or their own car for you. You will pay for it of course, but probably less than if you were trying to convince a taxi to take you to Horizon.
- go for the breakfast early - with bigger groups some food may run out after 9 even though it should be served till 10 am. And there are some dishes only served early.

Room Tip: Probably every room is great.
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Chalarng S, Manager at Horizon Village & Resort, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Dear Valued guest,

On behalf of Horizon village and Tweechol botanic's staffs I would like to thank you for staying with us at this time.I hope you have had a good time with the botanical surrounding and our service. Thank you once again for your suggestion.It is very kind of you therefore we will try to improve our service work to be better and better. We apologize you if you found anything were not satisfied while you stay with us.Hope to see you again in the near future.

With respectfuly,
C Thavaravej
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014

We stayed for 4 nights after a few days in Bangkok. I was with my family (4 adults and two small children). After making my initial booking for 3 nights, I added a 4th. When I added the 4th, I requested that the rooms were next to each other and that we stayed in the same rooms for all 4 nights. When we arrived we realized that they didn't even see the comments. We were put in disconnected rooms and had to move rooms the second day, which is no small task with two small kids. Basically, we couldn't unpack the first day - it was so relaxing. We were given an upgrade the first day, but who cares about that when you can't even unpack and relax.

The free airport pickup was great.

The complex is far from the city and there are two free buses into the city. The evening bus doesn't give you enough time to really look around. We went into town twice and didn't have time to eat. You will have to choose.... eat, or look around.

If you want to go into the city early, the staff will call a car for you. It is extremely overpriced. Unless you have small children, you can walk out the front gate, carefully cross the small highway, and hail the little yellow bus (sangtaew). It's 20B per person and will take you almost all the way into the city - we took it to Central Plaza.

We paid for two 'car' rides into the city. The first one was 500B. It was a small SUV that we barely fit into. On the last day, I asked for another car to take us and our luggage to our hotel in the city. The staff told me we needed a bigger car because of the bags. I thought this was understandable and accepted the 700B charge. To my surprise, the same car that I paid 500B for pulled up. When I asked why we have to pay 200 more for the same car, the staff said it was because of the bags - because they're heavy. This was ridiculous... I laughed in the lady's face and walked away. Pull the other leg, it plays jingle bells. They are obviously getting kickbacks from the cars they hire. I thought the guests were to be treated like guests.

The grounds and pools are really nice. The botanical garden is okay. I don't think you could spend a whole day there unless you are really into animal shaped plants. If Horizon cared a little bit more about their guests, the place would be great. For us, this is the part of the trip we want to forget.

2 Thank 1980war
Dear valued guest,

On behalf of Horizon village and Tweechol botanic's staffs I would like to thank you for staying with us at this time.I hope you have had a good time with the botanical surrounding and our service.Thank you once again and hope to see you in the near future in Chiang Mai.Wherever you
are wherever you go,whatever you do be safe and good luck to you.,
Have a good day.

With respectfully,
Strasbourg, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

We spent 3 days in this hotel to finish our holidays quietly after 1.5 week of circuit in Thailand. We were pleased by the beautiful gardens, the zoo and the quietness of the hotel.
Our room had a view on the lake, it was very clean and well furnished. We found the matrass a little bit too hard for our taste, but this is of course our personal opinion.
Breakfast was served on the base floor of the congress center. The choice of dishes of the breakfast buffet is a little bit small (in comparison with buffets we had known in other hotels) but various. You can have lunch and dinner à la carte in a restaurant (I don't remember it's name) beside the reception desk. There is a choice in Asian and continental dishes. The only thing which was a pity was the our dishes weren't served at the same time, which meant that my husband and I had finished eating when our daughter only got her dish. The second day we had lunch (buffet) in the congress center which was very good (more choice than at breakfast).
There are 3 swimming pools in the parc, but we only used the one behind the reception desk, which was OK.
We have used the massage service, this was 100% pure pleasure. I almost fell asleep during massage. Great !
We attended the New Years Eve party which was well organized, the buffet at this evening was various and tasty. Congratulations to the musicians who played during this evening, good choice of music and not too loud so that we still could speak with the people with whom we shared our table.
The hotel is about 30 minutes drive from the center of Chiang Mai. But good taxi service is available if you ask via reception desk. If you want to eat in another restaurant than the ones the hotel is proposing you than you will need a car as there are no restaurants in the near area of the hotel.
All employees are very kind and polite, but an improvement could be made on the level of English (in speaking and understanding) of the employees who are in direct contact with customers. Only few speak (and understand) English well.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Chalarng S, Manager at Horizon Village & Resort, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Dear Valued guest,

On behalf of Horizon village and Tweechol botanic's staffs I would like to thank you for staying with us at this time.I hope you have had a good time with the botanical surrounding and our service. Thank you once again and hope to see you in the near future.

With respectfuly,
C Thavaravej
philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2013

Nice for family outing. Has lots of activities for young children. Nice to wake up in the morning and see swans swimming in the pond outside the balcony. Breakfast ok. Would recommend if you just want to stay in one place because it is a bit far.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Chalarng S, Manager at Horizon Village & Resort, responded to this review, 26 December 2013
Dear Valued guest,

Thank you so much for staying at Horizon village and resort. We are glad that our service here at horizon has been satisfied by you. Hope you come back again.Think of nice place to stay and beautiful garden please think of Horizon village and Resort and Tweechol botanic garden. It is very kind of you to express you opinion in the Trip Advisor .Look forward to seeing you once again in the future. Till we meet again.
With kind respectfully,
Thavaravej.
Wiltshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2013

We stayed here for 3 days as part of our first experience in Thailand. The hotel was wonderfully relaxing with all the staff helpful and respectful. Our room looked out over the lake at the back - we were slightly apprehensive that we may be bothered by mosquitoes but our fears were unfounded, although we did have a visitation by several large ants. The room service was superb and the food for breakfast and lunch was plentiful and varied, very reasonably priced. The little restaurant we used for our evening meals was beautifully positioned amongst the lovely foliage and croaking frogs and the food and service was second to none. The tranquility of the stay was not marred in any way by the several conferences that were taking place each day. The free drive round the park was a terrific experience and we so enjoyed our driver's singing! The topiary is gorgeous and I loved the concrete elephant display by the main restaurant, especially with the Christmas hats with which each elephant was adorned. The Christmas lights added to the magic of the warm evenings. We had a free drive from and to the airport as part of our deal and a free trip in to Chiang Mai to see around the town. We needn't have worried about how we were going to get back - we asked a Thai gentleman in the town how to get back to the hotel, whereupon he hailed a Thia bus who agreed to take us back for 500BAHT. What an interesting mode of transport that was! Great fun! The only thing we found a little disappointing was having to pay for wifi where in all the other hotels we stayed in, it was free.

Room Tip: Our room was one just by the pool. It was fine as there was hardly anyone using the pool but one nig...
1 Thank DEDW
Chalarng S, Manager at Horizon Village & Resort, responded to this review, 21 December 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for spending your time express your experience about our resort and the botanic garden on Trip Advisor. We try our best to service everyone and make our guests be happy.
All the comments from guests are worth it..The trees in our Botanical garden are free from pesticide ,here, we make compose and use in the garden.That is why you can hear croaking frogs ,the ants,butterflies,sawans, ducks etc.Thank you once again for being with us at Horizon village. Next time you come to Chiang Mai ,please think of Horizon village and Resort and Tweechol botanic garden.

With Respectfully,
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2013

Horizon Village Resort is a fantastic place to relax and play. This is more than a hotel. There is a botanic garden, zoo, lakes, swimming pools, meeting facilities, and restaurants. The food is very good and service is excellent.

WI-Fi is not free, but is very reasonable.

Room Tip: Book the room with Agoda.com to get the best rate.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Chalarng S, Manager at Horizon Village & Resort, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Dear valued guest,

Rainforest Boutique
Rainforest Boutique
#55 of 374 in Chiang Mai
Veranda High Resort Chiang Mai - MGallery Collection

Been to Horizon Village & Resort? Share your experiences!