“Another haven.....”

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Doi Saket
Melbourne, Australia
“Another haven.....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2010

I was there for 13 nights (on a promotional rate advertised on their website paying only for 7) - all food was included. I stayed in one of the condo rooms - it was very comfortable and very spacious. The rooms were serviced every day. I don't think any of the rooms had TVs, DVDs, radios etc, which actually wasn't so bad. The bookshop had a little library from which books could be borrowed, I did make good use of that.

Food is usually served buffet style but as it was off season there were not many guests and instead there was a small ala carte menu. The food was plentiful, fresh, organic, tasty - some of the desserts were wonderful and I particularly enjoyed the baked taro custard and the raw cuisine mango cheesecake. I had an opportunity to enjoy the buffet a day or so before I left and yes it was all that it was marketed to be. Meal times gave an opportunity to chat with other guests. Some guests were Tao practitioners or instructors and other guests were like me, just there to relax and enjoy some of the treatments.

I did a 7 day weight loss program while there, I would recommend that anyone doing the 7 day program actually spread all the treatments across about 10 days if you actually there for that long. Lots of appointments and if I had done them all in 7 days would have been busy (or frantic) going from one treatment to another and not be able to relax. All up while in Thailand (there for 3 weeks) I loss 4.5kilos not sure how much of that to attribute to the program but within days of starting my face was less bloated and weight loss noticable to other guests I had met. I found the Pakua Clinic reception staff to be very efficient and helpful.

I had various therapists for my massage treatments and all did a great job. All were very professional and never once did I feel uncomfortable.

The gardens are beautiful and there were always staff busily working away in them.

If you have the opportunity make sure you take the shuttle bus into Chiang Mai for the Walking Streets craft market on a Saturday or Sunday evening. And if you can't make that, the night bazaar or Arasun market are good for a browse.

In general, a wonderful place to stay, staff efficient and friendly, most speak English - some better than others and I will definitely be returning.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank 2shea

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Thai first
pacific grove, california
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2010

This has been my 4th time to Tao Garden, and it only gets better. Tao Garden has built a new spa which is charming and peaceful. The food is always excellent, and each year brings a meeting of new friends. The best part though is the wonderful massages done with skill and caring. As the therapists have gotten to know me through the years, I have made some wonderful friendships which I will never forget!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo
Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2010

I must admit that I am very much of a "free-rider" when it comes to using Tripadvisor, as I would try to select hotels which are highly rated by the users, but only rarely had I contributed a review of any sort. My 4-days' / 3 nights' stay at Tao Garden, however, does deserve a special recommendation - prompted no doubt by the excellent service of the front-line staff, one of whom had actually ferried me and a friend to the airport using his own car. The hotel transport/van, apparently, had already been booked during the particular slot. This was truly unexpected. Master Chia should give this guy (I had forgotten his name) a pat on the back!

As for the stay itself at the Tao Garden, it was a unique experience in itself although the rooms do not have the usual bells & whistles or is filled to the brim with the latest gadgets to please the senses (there is no TV in the room, for example). Again, most guests that visit the resort will be familiar with the services offered and/or the health practices under the universal tao system. There are however lush gardens, healthy buffet spreads and most of all, a general sense of tranquility. And perhaps, another major plus for me, no screaming kids running around with their doting parents. While some facilities such as the pool are starting to show their age, most guests would agree that the morning and evening exercises, treatments and spa more than make up for this.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
Duns
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2010

My stay was an unexpected delight. The food was exceptional and the friendliness and care of all staff from the doctors to the gardeners was wonderful. The treatments, consultations and therapies made me feel 10 years younger and improved my posture, my mobility and my confidence.
The peace and tranquility of Tao Garden is amazing and the facilities of the pool, spa, hydrotherapy and gym are fantastic.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2010

The people are hospitable and competent and lovely. The treatments are transformational. The gardens are beautiful. The food is organic, plentiful and tasty.
Opportunities abound for soulful growth. On top of all this, a great holiday.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2009

I stayed here for a week, using a promotional (pay for 5, get 7 days) deal I bought on the web. By Thai standards, it's not cheap, but the accommodation fee includes all meals, morning and evening exercise classes, and use of such facilities as the pool and the gym.

And it's a fraction of what I would pay in Australia.

The location is about 25 minutes outside Chiang Mai, and appears to be downstream from a major dam - maybe I read the map wrongly, but I wouldn't like to be staying in Tao Garden if the dam ever broke! Having said that, the gardens are exquisite, and Tao Garden is a very pleasant place to be. Apart from one evening visit to the Night Markets, I stayed the whole time in the resort.

As mentioned, meals were included, there is a great buffet choice for each meal, and the staff seem willing to attend to special needs. The diet is balanced according to Taoist principles and maybe because of that my digestive system was great whilst I was staying there. I stuck to seafood and vegetarian fare and didn't eat much meat, but I noticed there seemed to be enough on offer to please most meat eaters.

Tao Garden has a drug free policy - i was fine with that until I discovered that "drug free" = "no coffee". After a day or two of wooziness, I kicked the caffeine habit - and have only had two or three coffees in the two months since I left the resort - fantastic.

I would recommend the 7.30 am chi kung sessions, and the "six healing sounds" sessions in the evening, both included as part of the accommodation charge.

I probably went overboard on treatments - that's because I bought a package with a number of different treatments included, and then supplemented it with extra massage. Next time I would be very much more selective in what treatments I opted for - in my case, I would go for their signature massage. One type of signature massage is abdominal, and seems to be about connecting with and releasing stored feelings and memories in the body; the other signature massage sounds very different from what it is: genital, and is about clearing energy blockages (and definitely not sexual).

It's Tao Garden policy that their treatments are strictly therapeutic, and my experience of the massage people involved in the high end (abdominal/genital) massage was that they were enlightened beings, I can't speak highly enough of them.

My stay in late October was at a very quiet time in the resort, I had a large 3 bedroom townhouse to myself. There is cheaper accommodation available, and I don't think it makes much difference to the level of comfort. In any event, my room was large, there was good air-con, and no TV. The en-suite was fine, but on the last night of staying in the resort, I realised anyone walking outside could look straight into my second floor bathroom, and observe my every move. From the inside, the curtains were a barrier to light; from the outside at night they were transparent. That realisation wasn't a bad feeling, but it wasn't a great feeling either! It wouldn't stop me from staying there, but it's something to be aware of.

There's a wonderful swimming pool, a gym, and the opportunity of personal training if you want it. Near reception, there's a bookshop, mostly selling an interesting range of books and DVDs by the founder/owner of the resort, Mantak Chia. If you are interested, I suggest you buy your books there, they charge a small fortune to send books by international registered airmail.

There's a western doctor, and a TCM doctor visits, mostly by arrangement. I was amazed at how quickly he diagnosed my condition: fifteen second check of my pulse and a quick glance at my tongue.

The spa buildings where the massage sessions take place are brand new and sensational.

The other guests came from Australia, Europe, Japan, the US and Canada ... a range of people, and the way the meals work is that you get to have conversations with other guests at those times. It's fairly low key and relaxed. I'm an introvert able to enjoy my own company, but I enjoyed the communal dining arrangements. Having said that, some people did choose to eat on their own.

Some people might become stir crazy staying in the one place, but I could easily have stayed another week, I was really beginning to feel relaxed. Unfortunately, it was time to go home.

One last comment - one of the reasons this place represents great value for money is because the staff get paid Thai wages which are, in a word, low, or in two words, very low. As an Australian, I probably don't have a great reputation for tipping, but at the end of my stay I made a point of tipping - and generously - because I wanted to give back some of what I had received.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
3 Thank Dundas3071
Montreal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2009

My boyfriend and I were supposed to stay 3 days but we have decided to extend our stay to 6 days. The environment is very relaxing and inspiring, and the level of service is impressive.

We have tried a variety of treatments and detox. After 6 days, we felt very relaxed and in better shape!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
#2 of 7 in San Sai
Horizon Village & Resort
Horizon Village & Resort
#1 of 6 in Doi Saket

Been to Tao Garden Health Spa & Resort? Share your experiences!