“Good location and services but a little disappointed”

Days Inn Stevenage North
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Radwell
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I was staying for 3 nights and specifically chose the Days Inn over a Travelodge or Premier Inn as previous stays at Days Inn lodges elsewhere in England were excellent.

Good stuff:
The room was a good size and I liked the layout - the sink is part of the bedroom rather than in the shower-room , there is generous wardrobe space; the usual tea & coffee facilities and a small hairdryer. The window opens and the air-con works.

The choice of eating places right next door at the services was excellent - Starbucks, Greggs, Dominos, McDs, KFC, Mexican, M & S Food and others. The lodge is quickly & easily accessed from Jcn 10 of the A1M between Letchworth/ Baldock and Biggleswade (so quite a distance from Stevenage!)

Loads of TV channels

Quiet

Not so good stuff:
The whole building was very warm. The air-con worked and the windows opened but despite having both the room was too hot and I ended up sleeping under a thin "fleece" blanket I carry with me in my car.

Cleanliness: The bedroom , bedding & towels were clean enough (although lamps hadn't been dusted in a while) however the shower room had weeks, or possibly months, worth of accumulated limescale and mouldy "seams". I left a maintenance request at reception the next morning but it wasn't tackled until the day after; some improvement was noted but the problem was so bad it would probably take a course of de-scaling attempts to make it good. The mould problem was still there; and a simple "mould & mildew" supermarket product would have sorted this out. I was going to clean it myself but was too tired after my days work to drive to the supermarket to pick up cleaning products.

The mattress was a bit thin & lumpy , but because I was sleeping on-top of the quilt it didn't bother me too much, the mattresses will definitely need an upgrade very soon.

SUMMARY
I would stay again because of the convenience of location & variety of facilities BUT I would take a bottle of Viakal, mould & mildew remover and a thin blanket with me to ensure I was entirely comfortable.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Days Inn Stevenage North

Reviewed 10 October 2013 via mobile

Located next to A1 it's location is great. We booked a family room several weeks before. When we entered the room the 4th bed was not made up and was a pull out bed. Nothing like the photos. It's smaller as well. All 4 of us are adults and found the beds to be very uncomfortable. The springs were sticking in our backs all night. We all kept waking up with pins and needles due to poor mattresses. The room was not cleaned very well as we found a cigarette lighter and other items left on floor near beds. The shower was powerful but the free shower gel dispenser were empty upon arrival. Also the toilet roll holder was hanging off the wall.

The hotel needs maintenance and new beds in rooms. I usually stop at the Premier Inn and advise people to pay the little extra as it goes a long way!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 October 2013

We have been staying at Days Inn for quite a bit as we are waiting for our new home to be finished.
Staff are very friendly and accommodating when I have asked for some paperwork to be printed out. Also very impressed when my daughter left her iPad behind on a stay and I got a call to say they had found it in the room. Rooms are clean with plenty of room for myself and my 2 children.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Rebecca W
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I visited this hotel with my mother and sister as we were going to a 50th birthday party. My mother, who is 93, was given a double room designed for the disabled although this was not requested. My sister and I had a twin room. The beds and the rooms were spotless and comfortable. The twin room had a shower room with a toilet and the washbasin was in a corner of the bedroom which I found odd but perfectly acceptable. If the bedroom window was open you could hear road noise but with the a.c it wasn't necessary to have the window open. There was also a kettle with tea and coffee etc. which is always welcome after any journey. The staff were very attentive and friendly.

There was no restaurant but the availability of various outlets was available next door. With a Macdonalds, KFC, Thai, Mexican as well as a 'normal' cafe type place there was plenty of choice. There was also an M & S food outlet with a wide variety of food and also a W.H. Smiths. There was a filling station on site too.

The whole area was just off the motorway (A1M) and well signposted.

Room Tip: There is only two floors to this hotel and we were on the ground floor. Maybe there would be less r...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 August 2013

My wife and I booked a twin-bed room for three nights. My wife’s bed was an old divan with springs pushing through resulting in a poor night’s sleep. My bed was a very hard mattress – I would not have been less uncomfortable if I had slept on the floor – balanced on a fold away, occasional-bed style frame. Whenever I moved the bed wobbled and if I sat on the edge it would tip over. The next morning I complained and was told that there were no other rooms available. I telephoned later in the day and we were moved to another room. The manager was not available, she does not work at weekends and Bank Holidays, and so I spoke to her a few days later. She said she could find nothing wrong with the beds!

I would not advise anyone to stay at this hotel. In my opinion, it is tired and run down. It is located in a service area, so the only hot food available is from fast-food outlets.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 August 2013

We enjoy staying one or two nights in this hotel, always a good quiet night for sleeping and plenty of choice for breakfast in the hotel or at the services. Slight problem with too fast water pressure in wash basin, splashing all over the floor....sorted hopefully after we reported it on leaving. I always feel safe and like the friendliness of the staff.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 August 2013

Overall, the stay was very good but slightly marred by the breakfasts booking system. Two breakfasts were requested, but only one was entered onto the computer system. When discovered the next day, we were given vouchers for a nearby eating establishment.They wouldn't accept the vouchers though as they weren't signed by the hotel manager so we had to go back to the reception desk, get a signature & try again. Further problems wre experiencedon the second attempt as the date & time were missing. Also the eating establishment didn't have a vegetarian breakfast.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn
Also consider these accommodations in or near Radwell
Mercure Letchworth Hall
The George at Baldock
#1 of 4 in Baldock
Holiday Inn Express Stevenage
Templars Hotel and Carvery

Been to Days Inn Stevenage North? Share your experiences!