“A great stay at Green Tree Cottage perfect!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Green Tree Guest Cottages

The Green Tree Guest Cottages
Ranked #1 of 1 Nanaga B&B and Inns
stilbaai
“A great stay at Green Tree Cottage perfect!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2010

My wife and I live in SA, and were travelling with friends from Jersey C.I. and we used Green Trees as a base to tour the area, Addo etc. We stayed in two separate chalets self catering, which were imaculate and well appointed. We have stayed on working farms before and this was the best by far. Nothing was too much trouble for our Host's who even did some shopping for us in Port Elizabeth, and one evening cooked us a fantastic meal. We were extremly pleased by the lovely gardens and swimming pool, that we took time out from travels just to spend time in the gardens and pool. We had a great stay and would recommend Green Trees to anyone with or without children. When my wife and I visit the East Cape again we will certainly stay here again, so to our hosts Thank you for a wonderful stay and we hope to see you again soon.
Phil & Geraldine Nicholson SA.

• Liked — Location close to game reserves, working farm, very peaceful and accomodation fantastic
  • Disliked — Whats not to like?
  • Stayed January 2010, travelled with family

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
WORCESTERSHIRE
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2010

This was our third visit to Green Tree.We have stayed in different rooms and each one has been first class.The breakfast is supberb and evening meals worth every rand.Lezl,Datie and Reinhard are fantastic hosts and welcome us as one of the familySince our first visit they have installed a swimmimg pool which is an added bonus.The farm is perfectly situated to visit Addo and numerous other game reserves.It is also on a good road to visit the coast.
We would find it hard to visit South Africa without staying at Green Cottage even if it is a long dive from Cape Town but certainly well worth it.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2010

Great place to stay, but what made it exceptional was the service we received: travelled with both my partner + parents & received personal touches everywhere.. Nothing was too much effort & we felt at home & very comfortable. Cottages & scenery are both stunning, friendly service + food = YUMMY! Couldn't have asked for more. Highly recommend staying here for a true SA experience.

• Stayed December 2009
Somerset West
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2010

Wow what a wonderful time we had at Green Tree Farm - it exceeded our every expectation! The accommodation was beautiful and the service outstanding. The extra special touches were noted!! Our children had an experience of a lifetime - they even saw a baby calf being born! The food was excellent!! We enjoyed all the adventures of living on a farm as well as being able to explore the area and visit Addo! Lezel your hospitality was memorable and you can be sure that we will make a special trip in the future just to visit Green Tree Farm!!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
uk
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2010

The rooms were spacious but everything else was the worse we experienced in 4 weeks of travelling around SA.
We booked dinner in advance but on arrival we were told that this was not a full dinner but as a light evening meal (mince meat with a Greek salad and chocolate brownies for desert at £20 for 2) Easily the worse value we experinced in SA. Left over food had to be left in room overnight as landlady did not want to be disturbed after 7pm!!!
Breakfast was from 8am and consisted of 3 hot dishes ("please get up for breakfast on time as the food spoils if left too long on the hot plates"!!!) Breakfast was totally self service - make your own toast on toaster, pour your own coffee (very average) and the 3 hot dishes consisted of scambled eggs, awful sausages and an tomato and onion stew. No choice of eggs or anything else!!!
Rooms were facing main road with continual traffic noise.
As a 4 * guest house this was an insult to the great accommodation we experienced in the rest of SA
We were left with the impression that they just wanted our money with the least effort or interference with their lifestile

• Liked — bathrooms
  • Disliked — attitude of owners
  • Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank grahammiller_10
Lezl, Owner at The Green Tree Guest Cottages, responded to this review, 28 February 2010
Mr Miller I was really surprised when I saw this venomous attack that came from you. You never once mentioned how unhappy you where when here?? I still remember clearly, how I tried to be friendly to you and your friend, and you just made me feel I was in your way. I still thought this poor man must be so unhappy with life.
Let me just put the record straight for the other guest reading this review. As all our other guest will confirm, I try my best to give everyone information as to what there is to do in the area, helping you book game drives ect, like I did for you, arranging your Schotia trip – not trying to get rid of you like you make it. Not even that trip seemed to have excited you. Our supper you make off as mince meat, is the traditional South African dish Bobotie, every body else seems to enjoy. We also advertise our suppers as light suppers by prior arrangement that is served at the cottage in the evenings. Normally when you have supper in your room at a hotel, they would also only remove your dishes the next morning, same as we do, removing them when you come for Breakfast. We do have kitchens in all rooms, so it is not like you have stuff in your way. We try to give guest their own time to enjoy their meals, so they have privacy and time to eat in peace.
As I start at 5 am every morning, and I go home after supper is served to guest and sure everyone is happy, (not to lead my lifestyle), to see to my little boy en husband and see that they also get a meal, like all mothers and wifes do. My House is behind the Bed & Breakfasthouse, which has a bell should anybody ever need me.
Just as a bit of info to you - search the criteria for a 4 star B&B and then compare it to guesthouses, lodges and Hotels.
Our breakfast is done buffet style, (a hot breakfast, which is different every morning, fruit salad and yoghurt, cold meats, muffins, cereals, breads, juice, tea and coffee) - as it has been for the last six years running, with many happy guest. I am constantly in the dining room, seeing to my guest as I did with you. When you stay in a hotel, they normally pour you coffee, and make your toast for you. You have twisted every word we have in our information book to make us sound like awful people, and I can just feel sorry for you. As we are a respected guesthouse, and I love what I do, and this is the 1st time I had anyone NOT being complimentary, I encourage any future guest to let me know instantly if anything is not satisfactory.
Ferwert, Friesland, NL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2010

This was the highlight of our 7 week stay in South Africa. Friendly, excellent food, classy and detail to excellence. Thank you to our landlady Lezl van Niekerk. We will be back.

• Liked — It's got class.
  • Disliked — we couldt'n stay longer!
  • Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
      Check-in / front desk
Northamptonshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2009

Need a car but no so remote after all you are in the Eastern Cape. Good location to Addo which was a complete joy. Lovely garden, good food. Lezl was a charming host and helped us enormously with local knowledge. Supper brought to your door cooked by Lezl and rooms cleared and beautifully cleaned by first class friendly staff. Felt totally safe and secure. Would recommend to friends

Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nanaga
Leeuwenbosch Country House
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,027 reviews
Bukela Game Lodge
Bukela Game Lodge
#5 of 7 in Amakhala Game Reserve

Been to The Green Tree Guest Cottages? Share your experiences!