“Lovely Francesco!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 45 Hotels in Ios
Perth CBD
“Lovely Francesco!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2009

Loved Francesco and his hostel! Great room, very large with a huuuuge balcony overlooking Ios - we had a fantastic view and enough room to have a party on our balcony. Very clean and the bathroom was the most decent we had while in Greece. Good location too, close to the bars and the shops/restaurants.

The staff who picked us up at the ferry and took us to the hotel weren't the most friendly. They pretty much left us to find our own way because we were taking so long dragging our bags through Ios! The girl at the front desk also wasn't the nicest. But Francesco himself was a gem, he dragged my bag up to my room and I thought he might have a heart attack from the effort!

We had stayed at Stelio's Place in Santorini and it turned out Stelio and Francesco were related through marriage - both great hostels and great hosts! Also, if you stay here make sure you visit the cafe around the corner (I think it's the Moon Cafe or something like that) - they do the best all-day breakfast I've ever had.

• Liked — Location and balcony.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank FlashpackingPrincess

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2008

Francesco's was recommended to us by a friend, who was completely bang on with his description! Friendly staff, clean hostel, beautiful scenery, great food, lots of travellers to meet and ....HUGE party! Ios is an incredible island where all people speak English. It is easy to travel around the whole island if you rent a car. Or if you would rather stay at the local beach it's ia 15 min walk or a short 2 minute coach bus ride. The beach is beautiful, very calm! The staff at Franceso's are always willing to recommend places to go and places to eat, however it is easy to find them on your own too! Escape is a fantastic restaurant. A lovely surprise for us at Francesco's was the gorgeous pool with clean comfy loungers and a a specatular vew! What a great vacation!

• Liked — Fun!
  • Disliked — Shower is small, but who cares!
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with friends
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2008

Francesco's is absolutely the best hostel I have ever stayed at. They picked us up from our ferry and took us up the hill to the town, where they lead us through the cobbled streets ending at Francesco's. The hostel has many rooms on both sides of the pathway, with an internet cafe and bar area.

Our room had a balcony that we shared with two other rooms (it was large enough for more) with chairs to relax and watch the sunset.

Every night at 10pm, there are "welcome shots" in the bar area, where you meet the new arrivals and hang out before heading into town around midnight. Francesco even hangs out with everyone. It is always packed with people and a lot of fun.

Everyone who works there is friendly and helpful and I absolutely love Francesco! The rate was totally affordable (he could charge more).

I can't wait to go back!!!!!

• Liked — Everything!!!
  • Disliked — can't complain
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with friends
1 Thank LoveLondon3
Vancouver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2008

I stayed at Francesco's on three separate occasions in 2002 and again in 2006. This is a great place to meet other travellers, and a good starting point for a night out on the town. Rooms are very basic, beds small and somewhat uncomfortable, but it's clean and the staff is very accomodating. If you are looking for peace and quiet this is definately not for you. If on the other hand you want to meet tons of like minded travellers and party until the crack of dawn, you won't find a better hotel in Ios.

• Liked — Atmosphere
  • Disliked — Small thin beds
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple
Toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2008

This is a definite place to stay if you are a backpacker, young and looking for a party.

It's quite noisy with the nightlife and hotel guests but definitly great location. Clean and comfortable rooms. Probably the biggest bathroom we had out of all our hostels and only a quick run down the hill into the main drag.

• Liked — Central Location to Town
  • Disliked — Noisy
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with friends
Beijing, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2007

I stayed at Francesco's for four nights in September 2007. The season was winding down and I had not trouble booking a single room. The single room was small but had decent twin bunks, working air conditioner and a small but effective and clean private bath and shower.

The owner and his wife are super friendly and take care of you. I left, by mistake, my reading glasses in the room and they simply sent it on the next ferry to be delivered to me at the next hotel - no charge. Maria is fantastic.

They have "welcome" shots for new people every night at 10 PM and just about everybody has fun and hangs out in the bar area watching the sunset and playing drinking games. People are super friendly. At around 12:30 the bar at Francesco's shuts down and the group goes into town to the Blue Note - a bar owned by the same people. You then have instant friends.

There is no feeling that Francesco is trying to rip you off with the small things; they point out the laundry in town, the cheaper internet and the good places to eat. They also make you feel like family.

If you want to party all night and sleep all day and/or go to the beach - you can not find a better place to stay. I was there in the off season and while it wasn't wild - because I was at Francesco's I had a group of people with whom I could go out. Francesco's is not there if you want the Ritz. If you want, however, a safe, clean very reasonably priced place to stay with a group of open minded people - consider giving it a try.

• Liked — Very welcome warm feeling.
  • Disliked — I had to leave!
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled solo
2 Thank RT1971
New York, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2007

I recently stayed at Francesco's for one night while I was island hopping. We made the reservations the night before online and it was nice that we were only charged 5 euros and wouldn't be charged the rest until we arrived. Just as the reviews said, we were greeted by someone (Jimmy!) when our ferry arrived and waited about 15-20 minutes as everyone gathered together to be driven to the hotel in vans. The clientele is definitely of the young backpacker variety, but that made it all the more fun. Most of the people that worked there were young and Australian. We piled in vans and went to the hotel where we were lucky to have our rooms ready. I had a room with 2 twin beds, refrigerator, AC, desk, hair dryer, private bath and closet. It was very nice and clean! Only 35 euros. At night, we all had a free shot and a few drinks at the cafe at the hotel (5 euros each) and then went as a group to the Blue Note and then bar-hopping. It felt a little like I was on a Contiki trip, but it was a barrel of laughs and tons of fun. Met some really cool travelers and had a great time. Francesco seems to know everyone and his place is made up of what seems like several pansions. I ended up staying at the Panoroma which was a short hike down a dirt rode on a cliff. Again, I wasn't there for snazziness so I didn't mind this. Stavros, the owner of the Panorama, was a jovial Greek man who even gave us a ride to the port the next day. Francecos's is located in the center of town right where you need to be to walk to all of the bars. You can also walk to the port if need be. The travel agencies are a 5 second walk away where you can buy your ferry ticket and the bus picks you up right there to take you to Mylopotas beach (I recommend the bus rather than mopeds). All in all, I would definitely stay at Franceco's again! It's probably more suited for the young partying types than honeymooners though. I also recommend you bring a backpack and no rolling luggage! WHAT I LIKED: easy to get to, "the" fun place to stay, friendly travelers, centrally located, good bang for the buck, smooth transation, clean room. WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: had 2 cold showers (maybe because I didn't flip the breaker switch??), short walk down a dirt rode which would be treacherous if really wasted, felt like I was a bit older than the clientele (I'm 29)

• Liked — Great location, tons of fun travelers stay there, young party scene, easy transaction
  • Disliked — Sometimes herded with the group, clientele might be on the young side
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with friends