“I don't understand the hype???”
Review of Francesco's

Francesco's
Ranked #13 of 42 Hotels in Ios
Reviewed 18 August 2010

Perhaps we were unlucky, but I really don't get why people think Francesco's is so great?!? We stayed for five nights, and we placed in a guesthouse run by an older Greek lady right at the back of Francesco's and down a massive hill.... when we were picked up at the port we were brought to reception and had a massive trek with huge bags down the steep hill which really was unsafe and unnecessary as the driver had driven past our door in the first place!
In Francesco's you're paying for the name, not for the quality of the room you get. €35 per person per night is excessive when you compare what we got elsewhere in Greece for cheaper...... It was just ok. I wouldn't be rushing back whatsoever..... at the age of 24 i felt old there so i will leave it as that!!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank fazawaz

Reviewed 6 August 2010

Contrary to the suggestion that you have to be below a certain age (25?) to feel welcome here, I've been staying at Francesco's on-and-off since about 1975 and can assure you it's a place for young people of ANY age. Me? I'm 58 and off to stay there again in September. I plan to meet up with my old mate Mike (59) who's a Francesco's aficionado of similar standing. The Ios ethos never dies!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank MarkDoran
Reviewed 28 July 2010

If looking to party, this is the place to be. The hotel is very close to the bar scene, but a little way from the Beach. Francesco's bar is a great place to meet the staff and fellow travelers. Every-night the staff gives out a free shot and welcomes newcomers and everyone at the hotel bar leaves together out towards the nightlife. The rooms were pretty plain, but were quite and comfortable. I would definitely return if travelling through Ios again.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 March 2010

I would not recommend this hotel unless you are a college kid or younger. This place caters more to the young, young crowd that still likes to party hard. I stayed here when I was in my late 20s and felt old in Ios (especially at this hotel) compared to Mykonos. The hotel rooms are simple. The views from the restaurant/bar are stunning. I still don't think this place was worth the money

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with friends
2  Thank amyhearttravel
Reviewed 11 September 2009

We stayed for three nights at Francescos. It has one of the best views for the sunset in Ios, and a large group of different travellers mixing together at the bar. If you want to be surrounded by people, this is a good place to be. It is a party island and a party hostel. Unfortunately for us, when we first arrived we were exhausted and wanted nothing more than a good nights sleep. As we were late to arrive we were given one of the rooms above the bar in the long corridor - this meant as the pub crawl revellers trickled back throughout the night we were woken constantly either by people talking loudly outside our room or slamming the doors which echoed down the halls. Friends of ours moved to another hotel the next day but we requested to be moved to another room - and I am so glad we did. The next two nights were perfect - the beds were incredibly comfortable and the quietness was brilliant. The staff were very accommodating and even let the two of us move to a triple room, giving us much more space in a much better room. If you are young and looking to have some great nights out with new friends, this is definately the place to be. My thanks to the staff for understanding this was not what we were looking for, and amending our stay accordingly.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank selvero
Reviewed 7 September 2009

From the moment they pick you up from the port, Francesco's friendly staff is there willing to help you. They give you helpful tips, help you out in anyway and even will take you out to get a taste of the Ios nightlife. Our room was great - clean, comfortable and a million dollar view of the entire island. Two minutes from the very centre of town where all the bars are, but you do not get any noise from it. Freat breakfast spot and many restaurants within 1-3 minute walk. Only bad thing I can say is that it is on top of a large hill, which makes for great views, but is a difficult trek with a suitcase. Ios was my favorite of 4 greek islands visited, largely due to this great hotel!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 August 2009

Dear oh dear, what is happening to Francesco's? It really is going badly down-hill, thanks to a large extent of the staff, who really try hard to be unhelpful. I stayed here before a couple of years back, and loved the place, but after my stay this time, I've vowed never to come back.

The good stuff: the hotel is still in the same great location, right by the village, and just a couple of minutes stagger from the bars. Everyone from the hostel gathers in the bar by 11pm to down shots and goes out for "a banging night out". However this can be a downer if you want to sleep when everyone comes back between 3 and 4am (and some don't make it back before 6). The rooms in the Panorma (originally a separate hostel, now part of Francescos) are still good, with decent beds, a TV, no fridge or kettle, and OK ish bathrooms, but no hot water in the mornings (but then noone in Francesco sees a morning do they).

Then the bad stuff, and where do I start... why, with the continually running credit card con of course! At checkout there is a continual stream of people dashing down to the cashpoint to take out cash because Francesco's credit card machine is "not working today" - and someone would fix it tomorrow, but today it is just cash only. Except there was the same notice taped to the desk announcing this as there was TWO year ago! One of the staff later admitted in a drunken moment that Francesscos always say it is tempoarily out of order to avoid paying the credit card loading - and the machines work fine (and indeed are used daily to charge those who fail to check in).

Secondly - check your change very carefully in the bar - late at night, my change always came back short of one euro. Odd, that.

The staff also seem to be utterly incompetent when it comes to the free pickup / dropoff at the port. Despite checkout promising us that the minibus would pick us up on the road just below the Panorama extension to Francesscos - it drove straight past us. I then had to call up to reception TWICE to get it to come back. The first time I was promised it would come back in five minutes. Half an hour later, I was still waiting... called up again, and finally it came back from the port with a very grumpy driver who had never been asked to either come back - or pick us up in the first place!

Sure, this place is OK if you want a laid back party place - but it really isn't worth 60 euro a night.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple