“Best hostel in Ios, potentially best in Europe! Unbeatably fun!”
Review of Francesco's

Francesco's
Ranked #10 of 42 Hotels in Ios
Melbourne
“Best hostel in Ios, potentially best in Europe! Unbeatably fun!”
Reviewed 2 September 2010

Francesco´s is easily one of the world´s best hostels! Everything about it is awesome! The location is brilliant, the view is 5 star, the atmosphere is second to none, and you can be guaranteed that staying at Francesco´s will make Ios a highlight of your trip. I stayed there on my own in August 2010 and instantly made heaps of friends who I then met up with on the other islands. It´s the bar´s free shots at 10:30 that bring everyone together and then they take you on a pub crawl every night at about 1am and you can choose to stay on it or wander off. I stayed in a dorm which didn´t have aircon but the massive rotating fan did the trick. The pool is also beautiful with a spectacular view and very chilled and social environment. Some people say that the camping ground by the beach called Far Out is the place to stay but that´s only because they´ve never heard of or been to Francesco´s. You can go to Far Out pool and the beach during the day but at night you want to be in the town where all the action is and that´s where Francesco´s is. Ios itself is loads of fun, every other Aussie I met also said that Ios was their favourite Greek island. You just HAVE to go! Unfortunately I only stayed 2 nights but I´d recommend staying at least 3. Too much more than that though and you might die but you´ll sure die happy! Or you could always just have a day of rest and not party every single night but it´s just too muh fun!

Stayed August 2010, travelled solo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Ireland
Reviewed 18 August 2010

Perhaps we were unlucky, but I really don't get why people think Francesco's is so great?!? We stayed for five nights, and we placed in a guesthouse run by an older Greek lady right at the back of Francesco's and down a massive hill.... when we were picked up at the port we were brought to reception and had a massive trek with huge bags down the steep hill which really was unsafe and unnecessary as the driver had driven past our door in the first place!
In Francesco's you're paying for the name, not for the quality of the room you get. €35 per person per night is excessive when you compare what we got elsewhere in Greece for cheaper...... It was just ok. I wouldn't be rushing back whatsoever..... at the age of 24 i felt old there so i will leave it as that!!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank fazawaz
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2010

Contrary to the suggestion that you have to be below a certain age (25?) to feel welcome here, I've been staying at Francesco's on-and-off since about 1975 and can assure you it's a place for young people of ANY age. Me? I'm 58 and off to stay there again in September. I plan to meet up with my old mate Mike (59) who's a Francesco's aficionado of similar standing. The Ios ethos never dies!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank MarkDoran
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 28 July 2010

If looking to party, this is the place to be. The hotel is very close to the bar scene, but a little way from the Beach. Francesco's bar is a great place to meet the staff and fellow travelers. Every-night the staff gives out a free shot and welcomes newcomers and everyone at the hotel bar leaves together out towards the nightlife. The rooms were pretty plain, but were quite and comfortable. I would definitely return if travelling through Ios again.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 17 March 2010

I would not recommend this hotel unless you are a college kid or younger. This place caters more to the young, young crowd that still likes to party hard. I stayed here when I was in my late 20s and felt old in Ios (especially at this hotel) compared to Mykonos. The hotel rooms are simple. The views from the restaurant/bar are stunning. I still don't think this place was worth the money

• Stayed June 2007, travelled with friends
2 Thank amyhearttravel
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 September 2009

We stayed for three nights at Francescos. It has one of the best views for the sunset in Ios, and a large group of different travellers mixing together at the bar. If you want to be surrounded by people, this is a good place to be. It is a party island and a party hostel. Unfortunately for us, when we first arrived we were exhausted and wanted nothing more than a good nights sleep. As we were late to arrive we were given one of the rooms above the bar in the long corridor - this meant as the pub crawl revellers trickled back throughout the night we were woken constantly either by people talking loudly outside our room or slamming the doors which echoed down the halls. Friends of ours moved to another hotel the next day but we requested to be moved to another room - and I am so glad we did. The next two nights were perfect - the beds were incredibly comfortable and the quietness was brilliant. The staff were very accommodating and even let the two of us move to a triple room, giving us much more space in a much better room. If you are young and looking to have some great nights out with new friends, this is definately the place to be. My thanks to the staff for understanding this was not what we were looking for, and amending our stay accordingly.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank selvero
Canada
Reviewed 7 September 2009

From the moment they pick you up from the port, Francesco's friendly staff is there willing to help you. They give you helpful tips, help you out in anyway and even will take you out to get a taste of the Ios nightlife. Our room was great - clean, comfortable and a million dollar view of the entire island. Two minutes from the very centre of town where all the bars are, but you do not get any noise from it. Freat breakfast spot and many restaurants within 1-3 minute walk. Only bad thing I can say is that it is on top of a large hill, which makes for great views, but is a difficult trek with a suitcase. Ios was my favorite of 4 greek islands visited, largely due to this great hotel!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple