“A simple hotel with good facilities and great views” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Hotel Poseidon
Ranked #26 of 45 Hotels in Ios
Sydney
“A simple hotel with good facilities and great views”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2010

My wife and I stayed here for four days in May 2010, a little before the beginning of the "season", and so had the hotel very much to ourselves. Mrs Volekakis, the owner, was kindness itself and was always concerned about or wellbeing, although her English is limited. She provided us with a tasty breakfast each morning, served on the terrace, as well as cleaning the room, looking after the hotel generally, and acting as receptionist.
The rooms in the hotel are quite small, although comfortable, and are supplemented by access to large terraces which overlook the port and provide views of the sea. It is very pleasant to sit at one of the tables and enjoy a simple meal purchased from the bakery or supermarket in the street below (the hotel is up a flight of about 50 steps from the street, which is a bit of a drag at first, but you get used to it). Rates are low and better than fair.
The hotel is in the port (Giallos), but on Ios the Hora or main village is connected to the port by steps, and is easily accessible if you wish to party at one of the many bars and restaurants located there. At night the port area is comparatively quiet and recommended for those who like to get an uninterrupted night's sleep.

Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ayling

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Greek first
Athens, Greece
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2010

We stayed for 5 nights with my husband, and we want to go again!
The room (44 has the best view -port and pool) was very clean, the a/c made the room as cold as we wanted it (very cold!) and the bed was very comfortable and clean (the matress was "Media Strom" on of the leading brands in Greece). We used the swimming pool it was clean, we also used the billiards and we had fun at the games room.
The only negative that someone can say about this hotel, is the stairs, although me and my husband (we are not fit at all and I have discopathy) we could manage it, it was about 50 stairs. People with more serious disabilities may have problem with all these stairs.
We used the bus and the taxi a lot, the bus stop is 2 minutes away from the hotel and the taxi is 3 minutes or you can ask for a card from a taxi driver and call him/her to pick you up from everywhere you want. Taxi fare to Chora is 5 euros and to Mylopotas is 8 euros. The bus costs 1,40 for Chora and Mylopotas and 3 euros for Maganari beach (22 km from the port).
The staff was very helpful, advising us for the best beaches/restaurants/places to see etc and actually they were right!!
If you want to book a nice clean room next to a great swimming pool and you don't mind walk a few stairs, it's the best option!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank Ioanna-Greg
S Wales
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2009

The hotel is situated in the port area and near to supermarket,bakery etc.The room was perfectly adequate and was in fact a lot more modern than many island hotels . Breakfast was a charming mix of fresh bread,jams,island cheese coffee etc.BUT!! the DREADED STEPS - did not count them but they were steep and probably numbered 60ish - they would be a problem to any one with suitcases or not very fit. The rates were good however to compensate for their problem.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lovetheworldr
Sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2008

My friend booked this place based on a review in the Lonely Planet.

The rooms were very basic, but did the job.

We got what we paid for.

Located right next to the Ferry Port, which was ideal. And not far to the town centre. (There is a bus that goes every 15 minutes, or a taxi is only 5 euro)

The pool is nice, however it gets the shade early afternoon so gets quite cool.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Milan, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2008

The Poseidon Hotel is a small hotel in the centre of Ios Port,near to supermarket,bike rentals and restaurants.
From our window we could see the sea and the boats in the harbour.
Our room was small but clean,with a big shower,a/c,fridge and tv.
There is a terrace in common for every 3/4 rooms with a fantastic view of the sea and of Chora.
I don't know if the breakfast was good because I woke up too late very morning.
They kept our luggage after our check out for a lot of time.
I would definetly come back to this place.

• Liked — the view
  • Disliked — the stairs
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cristee
stockton on tees
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2008

stayed at the poseidon for the fourth time and again was greeted as an old friend by the charming manager and his parents.hotel is two minutes from the ferry terminal but up steepish steps so consequently has a lovely view over the port.rooms are standard issue greek hotel but well finished and maintained plus cnn if you want to keep up with the rest of the world.breakfast is an extra 6 euros and is basic but adequete and charmingly served on the terrace.there is a nice pool and bar and majority of rooms have the great views.busses and beach boats leave from near the port plus there is a great bakery and good supermarket in the same area..woulld love to return next year

• Liked — friendly welcome
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled solo
2 Thank richard130558
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2007

I made a reservation for this hotel a week before my stay. I paid upfront. All went well until I was unable to get a ferry to Ios on the date of my reservation. All the ferries were booked and I would not be able to get to the island until the next day. I called the hotel and asked whether they could give me a room for the next night and only charge me for one. The person who answered the phone agreed. I sent an mail confirming the change in plans. I checked my email about an hour before my ferry to Ios departed stating that no room would be available. I was extremely stressed, called the hotel and was told by the booking person that I was misinformed and that the person who agreed to charge me for one night was not authorized to make that arrangement and that it was not the hotel's responsibility (to train or supervise its employees???). After going back and forth for 20 minutes, he finally agreed to give me a room (not the room originally promised). When I arrived at check in, again, I was asked what I was promised blah blah blah. The staff people were arguing in Greek. No one wanted to accept responsibility. Extremely unprofessional. The room that I stayed in had a shower that sprayed all over the place. The people next door knocked on my room a few times, but that stopped when I contacted reception. Otherwise, the location and accomodations are fine. Breakfast is nothing to rave about.

• Stayed August 2007, travelled with friends